The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 30, 2001, 08:53pm
Official Forum Member

Question

The situation: Bases loaded, 1 out, Batter hits an infield fly; Junior High School level. The 3rd baserunner,confused, does not get back to third base before the infield gets the ball to F5 on 3rd base! Question: Is R3 out for not retouching in time or does the defense have to make a tag play to put him out?
Any case book quotes that could clear this up for me would be grately appreciated. And BTW, I was the base ump in this sit. in the C position
Old Wed May 30, 2001, 09:07pm
In Memoriam

Question

Quote:
Originally posted by Jim Cunningham
The situation: Bases loaded, 1 out, Batter hits an infield fly; Junior High School level. The 3rd baserunner,confused, does not get back to third base before the infield gets the ball to F5 on 3rd base! Question: Is R3 out for not retouching in time or does the defense have to make a tag play to put him out?
Any case book quotes that could clear this up for me would be grately appreciated. And BTW, I was the base ump in this sit. in the C position
Jim,
I assume the catch was made?
Then the runner left early, yes? Didn't tag up?
Calling "Infield Fly" is only a courtesy to the runner, no other special rule for leaving early.

When I was in LL majors, a Jim Cunnigham here in Michigan was the fastest pitcher I had ever wished I could see.

mick
Old Thu May 31, 2001, 02:00am
Official Forum Member

Runners under same tag-up rules as on any caught fly ball. Tag the runner, tag the base, same-same.

Bob
Old Thu May 31, 2001, 07:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jim Cunningham
----------------------------------------------
If you are talking about relaxed and unrelaxed action it doesn't apply here. On this play you don't need a verbal appeal to retire the runner. Tag the person or the base.

I don't do FED rules but I think the same thing would apply in FED as it is continuous action. However, if that runner scored without retaging and the play ended, the umpire would call him out in FED, in OBR you'd need an appeal. G.
Old Thu May 31, 2001, 10:15am
Official Forum Member

I used to get confused with this also. Just rembember that an infield fly is always treated as a regular pop fly catch except that the batter runner is out.

Greg
Old Thu May 31, 2001, 10:58am
Official Forum Member

Talking Ummmmm Greg

GREG,
As opposed to other fly balls that the BR ISN'T out on??? LOL
Will

"I used to get confused with this also. Just rembember that an infield fly is always treated as a regular pop fly catch except that the batter runner is out. "

Old Thu May 31, 2001, 08:39pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Ummmmm Greg

Quote:
Originally posted by badbamaump
GREG,
As opposed to other fly balls that the BR ISN'T out on??? LOL
Will

"I used to get confused with this also. Just rembember that an infield fly is always treated as a regular pop fly catch except that the batter runner is out. "

I guess I should have said the following:

I used to get confused with this also. Just rembember that an infield fly is always treated as a regular fly ball catch except that the batter is always out even if the ball is dropped. If the ball is caught on an infield fly rule it is just like any pop fly catch. If it is dropped the batter is still out and the runners run at their own risk. There is never a force play on an infield fly.