The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 27, 2005, 01:05am
Official Forum Member

Before Rut railroaded the topic, another member commented about my dealing with abusive coaches at the plate conference. He asked what happened and how I handled the situations.

In the first sitch, we were working a college double header. I was working third for the first game and figured to have a coaster for the second. During the first game, the pitcher successfully picked off a runner who had strayed to far from third. If was a nutbuster for the coach who was six feet away. The throw was high but in time and I punched his player out. The guy lost it and we're taught to just ignore it. My plate partner came out and got between us and I pretended that I was watching The Horse Whisperer for the fifth time. (Blah, blah, blah...) The game ends and his team loses by a run. Off to the locker room and my first base partner starts complaining about some dirt that got in his eye and scratched the cornea. I offer to grab the dish and he gratefully accepts. We come out for the pre game and the coach thinks I've got it in for him. Before I can even tell him about the situation he says that I better toss him now because he will be all over me during the game. I look at him and oblige. Believe it or not, he just stood there with the dumbest look you've ever seen. "What? You can't throw me for that." The assistant came out and dragged him away. I explained the situation to him and he just shrugged his shoulders. That game went smoothly and I was back there a few weeks later. He walked out for the pre game and said to the other coach, "Watch what you say. This guy takes us way too seriously." The other coach laughed because he had heard what happened and said, "Why don't you just throw him out now, he's going to be all over you during the game." I smiled and said that I'm sure we'll all be on our best behavior. No hitches and his team again lost. I've seen him a dozen times over the last few years.

The only other time I had a coach say something to me at the pre game was when he barked about a call that was made against him a few weeks before. I had never seen him before, so I just listened. Since I was working first base for the first game, I usually just smile and nod. This guy was adamant that I kicked a foul ball call on him against Creighton. I said it wasn't me and he went crazy, telling me that in his thirty plus years of baseball, he knows remembers every umpire who ever screwed the pooch. My partners looked at me and I asked him when the game was. He told us and it just so happened that I was working with those two guys at another school that weekend. We all looked at each other and started to laugh. He grew angrier and wanted to know what the problem was. My partner was about to explain when I asked him to take the line ups first. Once they were in his hands, he explained that we were working at one of his conference rivals that weekend and that we were several hundred miles away. He looked at me and said, "You look just like that guy though." I smiled and said, "I'm sure a lot of outs look safe to you too." He turned red and we never heard a peep from him for either game.

Oh well, this is just the kind of thing that happens when you think you've seen and heard them all. As a correllary, I've also been told that I'm neither fair nor good plenty of times. They used stronger language but the point was the same.

Has the Time Square ball started to drop yet?
Old Tue Dec 27, 2005, 01:08am
Official Forum Member

I posted this thing thirty seconds ago and it says that it's had 6 views. What's going on with the counter?
Old Tue Dec 27, 2005, 01:57am
Official Forum Member

Nah, it sounds like we're generating more views than really true.
Old Tue Dec 27, 2005, 02:56am
Official Forum Member

you just keep reading visiting the page....don't worry, at least you wrote a good story. I always write bad ones and then look at them. Now that's just stupid.
Old Tue Dec 27, 2005, 05:23pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to NFump
Wink

Your subject title "Ba Bye" lead everyone to believe you were leaving and they couldn't wait to read your final words. BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!
Old Tue Dec 27, 2005, 05:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by NFump
Your subject title "Ba Bye" lead everyone to believe you were leaving and they couldn't wait to read your final words. BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!
i was actually kind of confused when i opened the thread and it wasnt about leaving
Old Tue Dec 27, 2005, 06:42pm
Official Forum Member

It was about leaving.
Old Tue Dec 27, 2005, 07:31pm
Official Forum Member

...but you arent gone, so it really isnt about leaving. im not saying i want you gone, or that you need to leave because you wrote that, but the fact that you are still here made it confusing.

confusing isnt the right word, it was just odd
Old Tue Dec 27, 2005, 07:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by briancurtin
...but you arent gone, so it really isnt about leaving. im not saying i want you gone, or that you need to leave because you wrote that, but the fact that you are still here made it confusing.

confusing isnt the right word, it was just odd
It's about the COACH leaving, at the pregame... Read the post again and you will get it.
Old Tue Dec 27, 2005, 09:37pm
Official Forum Member

Thank you. I know we've had thread titles that had nothing to do with the actual post. This one was a tongue in cheek play on the sit-com dismissal - ba' bye!

Nice to see you here, NF. Your thoughts often make for 'interesting' reading.
Old Tue Dec 27, 2005, 09:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by WhatWuzThatBlue
I know we've had thread titles that had nothing to do with the actual post.
you got me. i didnt even read the post until now...

i would have gotten a few "RTFA" posts if this was another site
Old Tue Dec 27, 2005, 09:58pm
Official Forum Member

Don't worry about it. Some people actually read the post and still don't get it.

This started in Carl's "Championship Game" thread that was deleted. A member asked me to clarify what happened when a couple of coaches dogged me pre game. I know that others have had similar experiences. Hell, I know one guy that tossed a coach as he was entering the gate. He was getting dressed in the parking lot when the bus rolled in with the visiting team. The coach followed in his own car and stopped to see who the umpires were. He saw the one umpire and said something like, "Oh ****, I've got you again. What did I do to deserve this?" Needless to say, he didn't have to endure that umpire or the game.
Old Tue Dec 27, 2005, 10:19pm
Official Forum Member

You mean he got him in the parking lot? Whoa!

[Edited by bob jenkins on Dec 28th, 2005 at 07:57 AM]
Old Wed Dec 28, 2005, 04:56pm
Official Forum Member

Question

WOW!
Old Wed Dec 28, 2005, 07:13pm

Quote:
Originally posted by WhatWuzThatBlue
Don't worry about it. Some people actually read the post and still don't get it.

This started in Carl's "Championship Game" thread that was deleted. A member asked me to clarify what happened when a couple of coaches dogged me pre game. I know that others have had similar experiences. Hell, I know one guy that tossed a coach as he was entering the gate. He was getting dressed in the parking lot when the bus rolled in with the visiting team. The coach followed in his own car and stopped to see who the umpires were. He saw the one umpire and said something like, "Oh ****, I've got you again. What did I do to deserve this?" Needless to say, he didn't have to endure that umpire or the game.
You mean the coach wasn't just joking around, with a smile on his face? Coaches are all the time saying stuff like "oh no, not you again" with a big old grin on their faces. It is hard to believe a coach would say this with malice to the umpires before a game.

And since when did umpires' jurisdiction start in the parking lot? Should have just laughed and let it go, and made him endure the whole game, umpires and all.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25