The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 03, 2006, 09:51pm
Official Forum Member

I haven't watched either of you ump. But, I know that unless you have umped minor league or D1 baseball WWTB is better than you. I read how the two of you answer posts and it looks like WWTB knows his stuff. What is your experience?
Old Wed Jan 04, 2006, 12:09am

Quote:
Originally posted by Pete in AZ
I haven't watched either of you ump. But, I know that unless you have umped minor league or D1 baseball WWTB is better than you. I read how the two of you answer posts and it looks like WWTB knows his stuff. What is your experience?
Is someone who umpired Bronco League better than someone who worked Mustang League. What difference does that make whether he worked D1 ball or not? I certainly don't lack the ability to do that. I've seen plenty of D1 umpires who shouldn't be working higher than HS varsity! It cracks me up how everybody seems to equate umpiring with rocket science. If you're good, you're good. I never said I was better than he was. HE ALWAYS SAYS HOW GREAT HE IS!

As for my experience, I have only been at it for 20 years, not the 30 plus that WWTB allegedly has. I only have a little more than 3,000 games under my belt. I'm sure WWTB has me beat there too! I only worked 6-7 days a week for 40 to 45 weeks a year for the first 16 years I umpired.
Ever since the middle of my second year, I have worked mainly HS varsity when it comes to HS ball. I have extensive experience in Pony, Colt, Palomino, American Legion, USABF, NABA, ADABA, MABL, MSBL, and Mexican-American League baseball. I worked 3 Mexican American All-Star games, and 2 of their Championship games. I worked the 2000 Area Code games at Qualcomm Stadium and Tony Gwynn Stadium, in front of large crowds. I have worked 3 semi-final Sectional playoff games, but never got a final, because here you have to be on coaches' request lists, and the lists I made never made a final. I have never had the opportunity to work college ball, but not for lack of ability. I have previously addressed the reason for this.

Now, all that waste of bandwidth being said, I think I am at least qualified to give my opinion without being ridiculed each and every time. I expect that kind of treatment from coaches, but not other umpires.

Everyone please note that I was asked about my experience.

[Edited by SanDiegoSteve on Jan 4th, 2006 at 12:21 AM]
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Wed Jan 04, 2006, 01:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SanDiegoSteve
Quote:
Is someone who umpired Bronco League better than someone who worked Mustang League. What difference does that make whether he worked D1 ball or not? I certainly don't lack the ability to do that. I've seen plenty of D1 umpires who shouldn't be working higher than HS varsity! It cracks me up how everybody seems to equate umpiring with rocket science. If you're good, you're good. I never said I was better than he was. HE ALWAYS SAYS HOW GREAT HE IS!

As for my experience, I have only been at it for 20 years, not the 30 plus that WWTB allegedly has. I only have a little more than 3,000 games under my belt. I'm sure WWTB has me beat there too! I only worked 6-7 days a week for 40 to 45 weeks a year for the first 16 years I umpired.
Ever since the middle of my second year, I have worked mainly HS varsity when it comes to HS ball. I have extensive experience in Pony, Colt, Palomino, American Legion, USABF, NABA, ADABA, MABL, MSBL, and Mexican-American League baseball. I worked 3 Mexican American All-Star games, and 2 of their Championship games. I worked the 2000 Area Code games at Qualcomm Stadium and Tony Gwynn Stadium, in front of large crowds. I have worked 3 semi-final Sectional playoff games, but never got a final, because here you have to be on coaches' request lists, and the lists I made never made a final. I have never had the opportunity to work college ball, but not for lack of ability. I have previously addressed the reason for this.

Now, all that waste of bandwidth being said, I think I am at least qualified to give my opinion without being ridiculed each and every time. I expect that kind of treatment from coaches, but not other umpires.

Please show me where I said how great I am. Post the copy or link - it's a simple request.

You have never worked college or Minor League baseball, yet you are every bit as qualified as I am? You never got the chance to work college ball because your scary talent was recognized but ignored? If you were that good, those assignors and coaches would be calling you. A lot of guys get off season or practice game schedules from college coaches who see their work on the High School field. That is why I've stressed the importance of being aware of scouts and assistants. Your career can be made in a parking lot. I've also said that getting those games is only half the battle. You have to be asked back before you know you're accepted into that fraternity.

Ego has a big place on the baseball field. Players, coaches and umpires all believe that they are the best. If you don't understand that then I know why you haven't been asked to join the college umpire organization near you. Keep calling them Big Dogs and closed minded - that'll open that door!

I'm going to bed now. Joe Pa just beat Bobby B. and I made a little money. Three overtimes and some terrific defense made this one for the ages. I bet you kind of feel like that Florida State kicker right about now. Don't worry, time heals all wounds.

Old Wed Jan 04, 2006, 11:42am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by SanDiegoSteve
Quote:

I work a lot of games in the ABC, 123, and EIEIO divisions.

Does this make me a good umpire?
Old Wed Jan 04, 2006, 04:25pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to NFump
Now that's funny! I don't care who you are.

Nice observation Bob.
Old Wed Jan 04, 2006, 04:38pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Hmmmmm....

I wonder which Bob deleted Bob Lyles post.

Tim.
Old Wed Jan 04, 2006, 05:41pm
Official Forum Member

Why do his posts always seem to get deleted? Wait...I think the veterans of this board know.
Old Wed Jan 04, 2006, 05:44pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
It was not I.

Bob

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Wed Jan 04, 2006, 05:56pm
Official Forum Member

Bob Lyle's nemesis - Bob Abooey?
Old Wed Jan 04, 2006, 06:56pm
Official Forum Member

And so the mysterious deletions begin. Must've been the language Bob used. Seems such a strange connection, Mr. Jenkins and WWTB hmmmmmmmm.......
Old Wed Jan 04, 2006, 07:30pm
Official Forum Member

More than one moderator can delete posts and complete threads. If Bob Jenkins was the culprit then I suspect that Bob Lyle did what he does best to earn it.

[Edited by bob jenkins on Jan 5th, 2006 at 04:39 PM]
Old Thu Jan 05, 2006, 04:38pm
Official Forum Member

Easy there Chuckles, no one "accused" you of being Bob Jenkins. Just simply pointed out the "strange connection" you seem to share. After all, Bob was the one who deleted most of my post to you. He even deleted my New Year's wish to you, which was to have a happy one. No, I don't think your Bob, but then again just who are you? I know, I know, it's been "revealed". Just where is that thread anyway?

As for being "laughed at" on the "other board", who the frack cares. I don't give credence to idiots. I was wondering though, does flagrant(malicious)contact supercede obstruction under NCAA rules?

Have a good day WWTB. Try not to be so touchy next time.
Old Thu Jan 05, 2006, 04:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by WhatWuzThatBlue

More than one moderator can delete posts and complete threads. If Bob Jenkins was the culprit then I suspect that Bob Lyle did what he does best to earn it.
I did and he did (imo, which is the only one that matters in this instance).