The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 19, 2005, 10:02pm
Official Forum Member

Crossover from football/basketball considering baseball. I liked the idea of being outdoors and I love baseball.

With that, I don't want to drop a small fortune into gear I'm not going to like. Understanding there are no guarantees, I'm wondering the following:

1. What's the minimum amount of equipment I need to get started (first 3-4 weeks)?

2. Are the combo pants really big enough to fit the shin guards for the plate? Do they look like bell bottoms on the bases?

3. From what I understand, the chest protector and mask are pretty much your key pieces of equipment. What do I need to look for here?

4. I don't like the look of pure plate hats. Does the combo hat come off when you pull off the mask or do you have to work on that to keep it from coming off?

5. Indicator on the bases to start out or no?

6. I've worn under-armour stuff all season in football and basketball and expect to do the same baseball. Is UA stuff sufficient for the base layer under the equipment?

I'm sure I'll have more questions, but this will get me started. Thanks!
Old Mon Dec 19, 2005, 10:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Texas Aggie
Crossover from football/basketball considering baseball. I liked the idea of being outdoors and I love baseball.

With that, I don't want to drop a small fortune into gear I'm not going to like. Understanding there are no guarantees, I'm wondering the following:

1. What's the minimum amount of equipment I need to get started (first 3-4 weeks)?
the minumum amount of equipment is everything. shin guards, chest protector, mask, cup, plate shoes. i guess you could really skip plate shoes if you are new and working lower levels, but it is really a big risk that could lead to lots of pain and/or injury. if you can, get plate shoes, even used ones from someone in teh area.

Quote:

2. Are the combo pants really big enough to fit the shin guards for the plate? Do they look like bell bottoms on the bases?
in my opinion, no, they arent right for either. they are a bit tight on the plate, and a bit loose on the bases. i still have a pair of combos around for a backup, but thats it. id suggest investing in both plate and base pants, as each will look better for their application.

Quote:
3. From what I understand, the chest protector and mask are pretty much your key pieces of equipment. What do I need to look for here?
i like single bar masks, most of us around here do as well. look for a west vest (WV) or +POS mask, as both are pretty good quality, even though most dont like to wait for +POS slow service. i use a +POS AUL3000 "zero gravity" mask, and it gives me a great view, and it is very light. try to find a light mask, and try them on if possible. you dont want a heavy mask to weigh you down for a 3 hour game.

in a chest protector, look for the proper size and comfort. honigs and the other sites out there have sizing guides to help you figure out how big it should be. being new, and maybe not looking to get the best piece of equipment on the market right away, look to a lower end piece from honigs possible. i cant think of numbers, but they make quality equipment and i think you can find a good entry level protector on there.

Quote:
4. I don't like the look of pure plate hats. Does the combo hat come off when you pull off the mask or do you have to work on that to keep it from coming off?
lots of guys have moved to wearing full length hats behind the plate, but i am a combo guy behind the plate. if you wear your hats with the proper sizing, it shouldnt come off. i never have this problem, but if you do, make sure your hat is tight enough and that you are pulling your mask off correctly.

Quote:
this is all up to you really. i would possibly recommend having one but only in your pocket. its basically like going without one, but if you find in the middle of a game you are having trouble, you can revert back to it. by starting out without one, you start a good habit of keeping track on your own, which could work its way behind the plate. i think i would work without an indicator, but have one in your pocket just to start out as a backup.

Quote:
6. I've worn under-armour stuff all season in football and basketball and expect to do the same baseball. Is UA stuff sufficient for the base layer under the equipment?
i dont wear UA stuff personally, but some guys do. a popular undershirt here is the McDavid InteraWear shirt. i like those a lot

one thing to remember, is that this this is an investment. you are going to use this equipment for a couple of years and its going to keep you safe. it is also going to make you some money in return, so try not to completely skimp out. buy mask pads that are comfortable, buy a chest protector that fits you correctly. you dont have to go out there and buy the #1 best pieces of equipment right away, but buy decent equipment that will let you do your job safely and comfortably behind the plate.

[Edited by briancurtin on Dec 19th, 2005 at 10:25 PM]
Old Mon Dec 19, 2005, 10:37pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Quote:

There are some pretty decent starter packages available from different equipment supliers. They cover the basic equipment needed to get you started, along with a uniform to help you look the part. You're going to want to get a pair of plate shoes, or at least a steel toed black athletic tennis shoe. You're going to need a good pair of black leather training type shoes for the bases as well. The rest is pretty much self explanatory. Ball bag, plate brush, indiclikikator, cup, and the three big protective items, chest protector, shin guards, and mask or helmet mask.

In my opinion, no, their not. You should wear plate pants on the plate and base pants on the bases.

Comfort and fit, combined with adequate protection for the level you're going to work. If you're only planning on working on the small field, there are numerous chest protectors at a decent cost for the beginner. If you plan on moving up to, or starting out working games where the players shave, you're going to want to look into a hard shell. As far as the mask goes, that a big personal preference. Some of us like the helmet mask, and others like the traditional style mask. Whichever one you choose, you should get one with leather or cloth covered pads. The simulated leather doesn't cut it in my opinion.

As long as you purchase properly fitted hats, the combo hat's are not a problem for traditional style mask users. Most of us that use the helmet, don't wear a hat while on the plate.

This has become a bane of contention amongst baseball officials. You should do what's accepted in your area.

Absolutely, it's cool in the Summer, and helps keep you warm in the early Spring.

Here are some links for you to look at along with a basic protective equipment picture from Gerry Davis Sports.

http://www.honigs.com/detail.asp?Cat=1&Sub=97&Item=686

http://www.gerrydavis.com/Merchant2/...egory_Code=100

Good luck to you!

Tim.

[Edited by BigUmp56 on Dec 19th, 2005 at 10:41 PM]
Old Mon Dec 19, 2005, 10:51pm
Official Forum Member

Used stuff gives you the opportunity to get the best equipment and uniforms for the best price.

Find who the clothes HORSES (or whores) are in your association and hound them. They will probably be looking to upgrade for the winter deals and tax deductions soon so they're ripe for the pickins.

D
Old Mon Dec 19, 2005, 11:00pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Texas Aggie
[B]

For some they are, for others they are not. I have a friend who has skinny legs and no ***. Plate pants look like clowns pants on him. The combos work fine as plate pants. But they are too bif for him on the bases and he wears base pants/

What level of ball are you doing?

Nobody should like the look of plate hats. Learn to take your maks off properly and you will be able to weight an 8 stitch hat behind the plate.

At the beginning, follow your trainer's advice.

Yes.

Old Mon Dec 19, 2005, 11:15pm
Official Forum Member

This is for HS ball, and the assignment secretary says he's agressive about getting new guys that show they can work into varsity ball. I'm not worried about that so much, but I'll probably be working 30-50% JV.

The GD vest pictured looks like a lot of foam. Is that true, and how does it protect compared to the shells like the West Vest? Pain I can deal with; injury I really can't.
Old Mon Dec 19, 2005, 11:29pm
Official Forum Member

Texas Aggie

I work with several Aggies, and they all say that wearing all that protective equipment is over-rated (especially the mask and cup). If you want to save some expense before you find out if you'll like this umpiring gig, you should forgo the mask, cadet.

Edited to say: Just kidding..don't want any injuries on my conscience.

[Edited by bluehair on Dec 20th, 2005 at 12:32 AM]
Old Tue Dec 20, 2005, 12:25am

Quote:
Originally posted by GarthB

Nobody should like the look of plate hats. Learn to take your maks off properly and you will be able to weight an 8 stitch hat behind the plate.
Nobody except Eddie Montague that is.

Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Tue Dec 20, 2005, 01:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The GD vest pictured looks like a lot of foam. Is that true, and how does it protect compared to the shells like the West Vest? Pain I can deal with; injury I really can't.
I have seen guys wear the Davis-Wilson chest protector (the one in the picture above) for D-III games. But, I have seen that protector in person, and I would not recommed it for your level. I would say go with the WV Gold or Platinum. If you end up liking baseball, you will be glad you have the protection of the WV, if you end up not liking baseball, you will be able to get a decent price for the WV on eBay.
Old Tue Dec 20, 2005, 01:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SanDiegoSteve
Quote:
Originally posted by GarthB

Nobody except Eddie Montague that is.

I didn't nobody does, I said nobody should.
Old Tue Dec 20, 2005, 01:28am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Quote:
This is for HS ball, and the assignment secretary says he's agressive about getting new guys that show they can work into varsity ball. I'm not worried about that so much, but I'll probably be working 30-50% JV.

Aggie:

If you're going to be working HS ball, then I would strongly recommend a hard shell protector. I've only see a few guys wear the Douglas hard shell, but they all swear by it. I found them at a decent price at the Douglas Equipment Web Site. It sells for $100.00, which is a good price, in my opinion, for a hard shell protector of this quality.

Tim.
Old Tue Dec 20, 2005, 09:10am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to umpbrian
Texas Aggie
Good equipment has no equal. If you don't feel protected behind the plate you won't have a good game. If you have to cut back a little, try to find used equipment or skimp at first and only buy one shirt instead to two or three. Doing extra laundry is less of a headache than getting injured. Bottom line is good equipment is worth the money. If you don't have a supplier in your area, check with some the other guys that are calling and try on their gear to see what you like. In the end, find equipment that you feel comfortable in and that affords you the best protection.
Brian
Old Tue Dec 20, 2005, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
For HS varsity you need good quality protection.

Everything is needed.

Yes, unless you get ridiculous large shin guards.

Lightweight, excellent protection.

Practice taking your mask off at home in front of a mirror. After a couple hundred reps you will be able to snatch that mask off without the cap.

Yes. Use it as if you were behind the plate, but don't look at it very often and if you do do it without anyone knowing.

Yes.

Open your account up to receive email and I will send you my personal list of starter items to buy that will be more than sufficient for HS ball and not break the bank.
Old Tue Dec 20, 2005, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

For HS ball, don't skimp on the mask and chest protector. You are dealing with a missle coming at you at +70 mph (almost double that if you take a direct foul ball). I recommend only a hard shell chest protector (I use a West Vest Platinum) and a metal mask.
Old Tue Dec 20, 2005, 01:08pm
Official Forum Member

Gear to get started

I have to agree with all here who reccommend the hard shell.
The only area that you might be able to cut back on in starting out is the shoes. The first couple of years that I worked, I wore a pair of black steel toed rubber soled work shoes I got at Sears for $45. Once I knew I was going to stick with this, I purchased a pair of Gerry Davis Patent Leather plate shoes, can't beat the protection, but those will run you $140.