The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 21, 2005, 12:08am
Official Forum Member

I'm curious about the Wilson MLU vest. I see it in size 13, while I see other vests in size 17+. Does this mean the Wilson is short and leaves some area unprotected? If so, is there an extension?
Old Wed Dec 21, 2005, 12:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Texas Aggie
I'm curious about the Wilson MLU vest. I see it in size 13, while I see other vests in size 17+. Does this mean the Wilson is short and leaves some area unprotected? If so, is there an extension?
The length which is right for you depends on your height, as taller people need a longer protector. The +POS website has a good picture showing the correct way to find your size.

http://pluspos.com/sizeinfo.html
Old Wed Dec 21, 2005, 08:41am
Official Forum Member

I have used lightweight vests for 15 years and have used the GD vest for the last 2 years. I am 6-2 200++ pounds and make sure that my equipment takes the blows as it should. Been hit at all levels and have never missed an inning because of it. The heat seems to bother me more than others and the lightweight helps on those hot days.

Your positioning behind the plate is just AS important as the equipment you use. But ultimately, it your decision. You could have the best equipment in the world and get hit in the unprotected places because of your positioning.

I also give the count behind the plate after every pitch because I don't use an indaclickercounter. Again go with the loacals until you develope what is good for you.

The extra bucks you spend on your equipment is well worth it when you have to give it to a doctor or miss assignments because you are injured.

Welcome and good luck.
Old Wed Dec 21, 2005, 08:47am
Official Forum Member

Hahahaha,

PWL I not 60 how coulkd you be so cruel!

Brag about your area and how good the games are and SanDiegoSteve will jump in and name drop MLB players and umpires from his area.

I contend that there is very little difference in the quality of high school baseball across America. While each individual area may offer fine individual talent but we have found, through research, that high school baseball across the board is very similar in quality.

I will say this:

Like all areas of America we have some stinko teams but we also have quality programs.

And as I hjave stated time-and-time again: I have never worked a game to have fun. In fact I have never placed "having fun" on my list of things to worry about at a game.

Love ya PWL, your homophobic side shows so quickly it scares the heck outta me.

Tee
Old Wed Dec 21, 2005, 12:11pm
Official Forum Member

Okay you guys, it’s almost Christmas, I want you to group hug and make up :-)

PWL, like yourself over the years I have adopted a few simple things like you mentioned to help speed the game along. They are good suggestions.

Tim C:
IMHO there is a difference in the overall quality of baseball in larger metropolitan areas versus small rural areas. I have worked teams in both areas. But again, that’s only one man’s opinion.

The count:
When it comes to the count, I do not give the count after each pitch, unless asked. I do indicate the count on 3-0, 3-2, after a pitch to the backstop, or following a long break in play. But I work with guys that do indicate the count verbally after each pitch…doesn’t matter to me what they do in this situation.

Indiclicker:
I use my indicator on the bases, but work with guys that don’t…. again it doesn’t matter to me what they do in this situation.

And finally -- fun:
The only reason I umpire is for fun. It’s not for the money because there aren’t many schools out there that could (or would) match the rate I charge my clients for an hour of my time. This is going to sound a little corny, but I feel that it is a real privilege to be able to umpire baseball games. It doesn’t matter what level I’m working, if you see me out there I’m having fun. When it stops being fun, I’m all done.
Old Wed Dec 21, 2005, 12:21pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to umpbrian
I umpire for the love of the game, I won't turn the money away and if most of the that I go out I don't enjoy myself, I will give it up. Until then viva la Braves and to hell with the rats.
Old Wed Dec 21, 2005, 12:32pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
As far as equipment, the only place I could see skimping would be on the shin guards. I have seen little difference between the lower cost ones and the more expensive ones.

I would highly recommend using some form of foot protection. You could get a high quality steel toe athletic type shoe , but be sure to get shin guards that have some form of metatarsal protection attached to it. I was mentoring a very talented young umpire who did not have plate shoes, and he would not wear mine. He was excellent, until he got hit in the toe with a foul ball. After that, he was never the same.

As to the side tangent, I give the count on every pitch. Quietly, verbally to the catcher and batter, and formally every other pitch. This establishes a rhythm for me during the game which, to me, is important.

I will carry an indicator on the bases, but I put it in my pocket.

Bob

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Wed Dec 21, 2005, 12:47pm
Official Forum Member

My annual investment in umpiring including clinics, uniform and equipment replacement, membership dues and gasoline is over $2500. So. based on a 150 game season, I'm out at least $16.66 every time I walk on the field. Not calculated in that figure is loss of income from missed work, assigning fees and insurance at least another $2500.

Game fees are a very important consideration to umpiring for me. Fun? If I had to have fun at every game I'd have quit a long time ago. Satisfaction of doing the job well is much more important to me than "fun". If I want fun, I'll go to the lake and spend the day on my boat.

Now, before some LL'er gets on me about charitable work or returning something to the game, save your breath. Last year my charitable contributions equaled 12% of my adjusted gross. I also volunteer my time at my parish and with youth organizations.

Old Wed Dec 21, 2005, 01:06pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
Will the Real PWL Please Stand UP

PWL #1

"Why don't you write another one of your long winded boring articles on this issue. Big Dog. More like Big Mouth. I don't find you arrogant, condesending, and judgmental. Just hypocritical. You talk about McGriffs and you spout this garbage out of your pie hole."

PWL #2

"Enjoy you(r) holidays!!!!"

Will PWL #1 Please Sit DOWN!!

Bob

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Wed Dec 21, 2005, 01:24pm

Re: Mmmmm,

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim C

I maybe condesending, arrogant and judgemental. I am not cynical. Learn the English language and then criticize.
Cynical indicates a disillusioned attitude that has hardened into extreme bitterness, although this may be leavened with resignation.

Jaundiced is a more informal and colorful substitute for cynical, suggesting a hard-bitten skeptic who prefers to look at something or at everything from a negative point of view.

From Use The Right Word by S. I. Hayakawa

Both seem to me to be accurate descriptions.

Also, it's "condescending" and "judgmental," rather than the way you spelled them. "Maybe" should be "may be", since "maybe" is a word that means "perhaps." English is my native tongue.

[Edited by SanDiegoSteve on Dec 21st, 2005 at 04:47 PM]
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Wed Dec 21, 2005, 05:38pm
Official Forum Member

Fun is relative.

Some people find jumping out of planes fun.

Others think calibrating screw threads is fun.

Fun to some is accounting or sculpting or bird watching.

Fun to others is tattooing (and other forms of self mutilation) or binge drinking or ski mobiling.

Tee doesn't find the stress of perfection under fire fun. I do. I get a rush out of succeeding, especially pulling a success out of a potential failure.

I also live a boring life.

D
Old Wed Dec 21, 2005, 07:06pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to umpduck11
Quote:
Originally posted by BigUmp56
Quote:
Originally posted by GarthB

What's that got to do with the question? I don't carry one, but you can still come to me for the count. When I get so feeble I can't remember three numbers, I'll quit.

[Edited by GarthB on Dec 20th, 2005 at 07:24 PM]
My comment was not an answer to a question. It was a response to the comment that was made saying the count was the sole responsibility of the PU. Although the PU is responsible for all calls made on the batter, the count should be a shared responsibility amongst the crew just in case the count is lost by the PU.

I'm not presumptuous enough to believe that having two umpires with indicators is a bad thing. Then again, my ego is not nearly as big as others appear to be.

Tim(The LL one)
Well Tim, the State of Alabama would be
that presumptuous. Indacountaclickers are
forbidden for base umpires in High School ball.