The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 14, 2005, 04:58pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
Someone needs to tell me why in the world would you need to wear a watch on your wrist to work a ball game?

Primarily, it is a safety hazard to wear one at the plate. Secondly, it looks amateurish, in my opinion. If you need to time the game for some reason, put the watch in your pocket, or your ball bag, or under your damn hat.

By the way, I'm glad sanity has been restored to this fine forum.

Bob

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Wed Dec 14, 2005, 05:09pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:
Originally posted by SanDiegoSteve
Why do they continue to make/sell indicators that from top to bottom read strike/ball/out, and have 3 strikes, 4 balls, and 3 outs?
Because people buy them.

It's hard to teach some of us old dogs new tricks. I still have the first indicator I got when I was about 10. I carry it as my back-up.

Bob,

Does your original indiclikicatorcounter have Roman Numerals on it?

Tim.
Old Sat Dec 17, 2005, 07:52pm
Official Forum Member

deleted-see below post, this was a waste of time

[Edited by briancurtin on Dec 17th, 2005 at 08:03 PM]
Old Sat Dec 17, 2005, 07:59pm
Official Forum Member

Brian:

You're trying to reason with an individual who displays a child like mentality. There is no reason to a childs thought process.

Tim.
Old Sat Dec 17, 2005, 08:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PWL
Why was the Skipper so fat? Was there a 7-11 on the other side of the island he wasn't telling anyone about? Why didn't they just kill Gilligan? He was the one always messing everything up so they couldn't get off the island. Still working on these.
You wrote "I see coaches wearing watches all the time."

How does what a coach wears on the field have anything do do with what you wear? Do you wear stirrups too?
Old Sat Dec 17, 2005, 09:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PWL
No. How would you wear stirrups? Stirrups are what you put feet into when you get into a saddle. Sometimes I wear spurs that jingle, jangle, jingle as I go riding merrily along, though.
Nice job avoiding the original question again.

And this is a stirrup

Old Sat Dec 17, 2005, 09:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by LDUB
Old Sat Dec 17, 2005, 09:36pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by PWL
[B]Just buy you a a digital watch with stop watch in it if you want to keep exact time. Much easier to keep up with and more handier, too.

Oh yeah, put on your wrist like your suppose to.

[Edited by BigUmp56 on Dec 17th, 2005 at 10:05 PM]
Old Sat Dec 17, 2005, 09:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PWL
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by PWL
No. How would you wear stirrups? Stirrups are what you put feet into when you get into a saddle. Sometimes I wear spurs that jingle, jangle, jingle as I go riding merrily along, though.

And this is a stirrup

Not where I come from, Pardner. Now why in the hell would someone what to go out wearing something as ridiculous as these. I guess you would since it's weighing so heavily on your mind. Send me your IQ test scores so I know what level of moron I'm dealing with here. My guess is semi-literate.

Since it has become quite apparent that you've not seen enough baseball games to know what a stirrup is that's worn by a baseball player or coach, I'll help you out, PWL

Tim.
Old Sun Dec 18, 2005, 12:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PWL
Quote:
Originally posted by BigUmp56
Quote:
Originally posted by PWL
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by PWL

And this is a stirrup

Not where I come from, Pardner. Now why in the hell would someone what to go out wearing something as ridiculous as these. I guess you would since it's weighing so heavily on your mind. Send me your IQ test scores so I know what level of moron I'm dealing with here. My guess is semi-literate.

Since it has become quite apparent that you've not seen enough baseball games to know what a stirrup is that's worn by a baseball player or coach, I'll help you out, PWL

Tim.

Starting in 2006, be on the lookout for coaches wearing watches. I know I've seen them doing it. If anybody sees this please post ASAP. I don't know what it has to do with baseball, but it has become a pressing issue with some forum members. Any input would be most helpful.

Also be on the watch (no pun intended) for other people wearing wristwatches. Sounds to me like a conspriacy may be taking place.

You still don't understand what you've been told here. None of us cares if a coach wears a wrist watch, unless they are a player coach, in which case, they would need to remove it.

You're the one who attempted to relate a coach wearing a watch to an umpire wearing a watch. They are two different animals. When Luke asked you what a coach wearing a watch had to do with the price of marbles, you resorted to your usual low brow tactics of insulting people or changing the subject.

No one here is trying to berate you the way you berate others. They are just trying to help the helpless I guess. You won't be reasoned with, and that's a tell tell sign of an immature mind.

All you needed to do in order to avoid all this controversy was to either not respond, or respond saying you understand where the members of the board are coming from.

On the attempted softball insult. This summer, our district will be hosting the girls Indiana State Big League Softball Tournament. I've already been asked to work the tournament even though I've only called one girls softball game in my life, and that was almost 13 years ago. I consider it an honor to represent our district association in the tournament. I know for sure I'll need to brush up on the rules of softball, but I would imagine the games will be similar to what I've seen in the past.

You can flame away about me still working games in the LL organization. It won't change the fact that although you claim to be an experienced umpire, you don't know how to call a simple balk, and believe that make up calls are appropriate.

Tim.
Old Mon Dec 19, 2005, 03:36pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to umpbrian
Quote:
Originally posted by PWL

All I need to do is not respond. Take my scolding like a good little trooper. Yes Sir, that will never happen again, Sir. That is something you do all the time.

[/B]
I was told every thread ends up talking about hitler before it dies; so here it goes so we can get rid of the endless banter...Hitler. By the way guys at least trim your posts so that I don't scroll through the same entire post 15 times. Thank you.
Old Mon Dec 19, 2005, 04:06pm

So.......what kind of indicator do you use?
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Mon Dec 19, 2005, 04:34pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to umpbrian
Quote:
Originally posted by SanDiegoSteve
So.......what kind of indicator do you use?
\
I use the 3/2/2 large print Honig indicator. It is more of a crutch that anything. I hate having to depend on it, but it has saved my bacon a time or two when things hit the fan and I forget what the count is. I actually have 3-4 different indicators in my bag that I have used throughout the years and have just settled into this one in the past 2-3 seasons. For what it's worth.

Brian