View Single Post
Old Sat Dec 10, 2005, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by phillips.alex
I really appreciate the locking of posts lately....We need more baseball on this forum and less catfighting. Saying this, we also need some of the senior members who do know baseball to stay out of the catfights as well. Remember gents, it says baseball, not softball. For the new guys, i have one word of advice (since i am relatively new as well). Call it as you see it, and don't yell at deaf ears.
This is an amazing post.
I lurk here and probably haven't posted here in a year of more so I am sure you don't recognize my name.

But your little slam towards softball is unwarrented.
Baseball has always had more fights, on the field and on the boards than any other sport (hockey doesn't count as a sport, more like an organized fight)
I get tired of the BS going back and forth and the fruitless exchanges that occur here, so I read and privately email when I feel the desire to converse on a topic.
As the saying goes, it takes two to tango and I have enjoyed tangoing/tangling from time to time myself.

If you want to change things, don't respond to the idiots or those who you know are going to argue.
Some are a fount of information, some are a fount of bad information.
Some have real skills in dealing with people and others have no skills and must bully their way though discussions, game situations and life.

The biggest problems we have as umpires is that we are viewed as dogmatic a@@holes becuase of a few that don't know how to work without throwing their weight around.

I have been umpiring many years, I am in my 28th year now, and I have seen the good, the bad, and the ugly. I have worked everything in baseball short of the show (A, AA, AAA) and in amateur baseball only the Olympics have escaped my bad calls (he he)
I have lost evey game I have ever worked but never won a single one.
I hope that I have never hung a partner out to dry on a call but I have put some on the spot.

Work what you ( YOU is used generically here) like, quit your whinning and remember, there are thousands (yeah, you read that right) who can easily replace you.

If you were as great as you think you are, you wouldn't be still working high school, JUCO, D I, II or III. You would be in the show are we would be discussing the merits of your mechanics, and your blown calls in the Series.

In the end, what I am saying is realize that you are just one person who has some skills that many others have.
Use those skills to the best of your ability to give a decent game and QUIT BEING IMPRESSED WITH YOURSELF.

Alright, I am going back to lurking now.