The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 05, 2005, 06:24pm
Official Forum Member

In Papa C's article today he describes a play under Fed rules with runners on 2nd and 3rd, 1 out, and the batter bunts. The pitcher's throw home retires R3, and F2's throw to first hits the batter outside the running lane. His choices for ruling on the play were a) dead ball, inning over; b) dead ball, R2 returns to 2nd; c) ignore batter interference due to intervening play; or d) live ball, play stands, B1 on 1st and R2 to 3rd with 2 outs.

His analysis of the play comes down to the fact that the umpire has to know that an intervening play is not relevant to this play (because we are not using OBR), and that the batter-runner interfered by running outside of the lane. He said the correct answer was "D".

Am I missing something? Why isn't the batter out, and the ball dead, with runners returning?

(edited to insert that Papa C said "D" was correct - thanks ManinBlue)

[Edited by Mike Walsh on Dec 5th, 2005 at 07:07 PM]
Old Mon Dec 05, 2005, 06:40pm
Official Forum Member

The BR was not out of the running lane.
Old Mon Dec 05, 2005, 06:54pm
Official Forum Member

I would have said A). Is that what he's called. I missing something in the interpretation of the answer.

I do know that in FED, outs made during/prior to dead ball stand, then the other runners would return to their respective bases. In this case, though, it's the second play by the infielder. If we don't have BR out, end of inning - we have BR at first and R2 possibly at third (TOT).

I still say we have the DP - R3 and BR on INT for being out of the lane.

I can't imagine any other way to play it.
Old Mon Dec 05, 2005, 07:06pm
Official Forum Member

What is really says:

"F2 throws to first and hits the batter-runner, who is running with his left foot on the foul line"
Old Mon Dec 05, 2005, 11:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by thomaswhite
Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Walsh
In Papa C's article today he describes a play under Fed rules with runners on 2nd and 3rd, 1 out, and the batter bunts. The pitcher's throw home retires R3, and F2's throw to first hits the batter outside the running lane. His choices for ruling on the play were a) dead ball, inning over; b) dead ball, R2 returns to 2nd; c) ignore batter interference due to intervening play; or d) live ball, play stands, B1 on 1st and R2 to 3rd with 2 outs.

His analysis of the play comes down to the fact that the umpire has to know that an intervening play is not relevant to this play (because we are not using OBR), and that the batter-runner interfered by running outside of the lane.
Am I missing something? Why isn't the batter out, and the ball dead, with runners returning?
I can't or didn't see the article but I would like to take a shot at the answer.

BR interfered with a thrown ball and is out number 3. Dead ball, inning over.

The play in the article has the runner running with his left foot on the line, not out of the lane.

The runner was thus in the lane so there is no interference.
Old Mon Dec 05, 2005, 11:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Walsh

His analysis of the play comes down to the fact that the umpire has to know that an intervening play is not relevant to this play (because we are not using OBR), and that the batter-runner interfered by running outside of the lane.
I can't or didn't see the article but I would like to take a shot at the answer.

BR interfered with a thrown ball and is out number 3. Dead ball, inning over.
Now knowing that the the information posted by Mike Walsh was incorrect and the B/R was not out of the running lane, do you wish to reload and take another shot?
Old Tue Dec 06, 2005, 10:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Now knowing that the the information posted by Mike Walsh was incorrect and the B/R was not out of the running lane, do you wish to reload and take another shot?
Sure.

Post the exact article and let's try this again. [/B][/QUOTE]

It's on the paid side. Several have posted that the play was that the runner was on the line. I'd suggest that you accept that.
Old Tue Dec 06, 2005, 01:21pm

Okay, I'll take a shot at it.

If the BR's foot is on the foul line, the answer is D.

If the BR's feet are both outside the running lane, the answer would be A.

Does anyone disagree?
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Tue Dec 06, 2005, 02:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SanDiegoSteve
Okay, I'll take a shot at it.

If the BR's foot is on the foul line, the answer is D.

If the BR's feet are both outside the running lane, the answer would be A.

Does anyone disagree?
I do.

If both feet are on the line or in the lane, the answer is D.

If either foot is outside the lane, the answer wouls be A.

Old Tue Dec 06, 2005, 03:05pm

When it was stated that his left foot was on the line, I took it to mean the foul line. This would place his right foot inside the running lane. Since the lines are part of the lane, he is inside the running lane, and the answer is D. If, however, he meant that the left foot was on the outside line defining the lane, then he is not in the lane, making the answer A.

I think he meant the foul line, but I've been wrong before (duh!)

Edited to switch A and D. (typo)

[Edited by SanDiegoSteve on Dec 6th, 2005 at 03:58 PM]
Old Tue Dec 06, 2005, 03:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Ives
Quote:
Sure.

Post the exact article and let's try this again.
It's on the paid side. Several have posted that the play was that the runner was on the line. I'd suggest that you accept that.
If the article cannot be posted, because it is on the paid side, then I certainly respect that copyright. However, I'm not interested in playing "he said, she said" either.

I commented as to Mike Walsh' original post.

'Nuff said.

By the way, are you one of the "others"? [/B][/QUOTE]

I know your original response was to Mike's post.

My response to you was, however to the post where you said:

Post the exact article and let's try this again.

Luke, Garth and I all posted that we know that the original was "on the line".

Even if we did cut and paste, how would you know we didn't alter it in the process?

If you think we're all stretching the truth, the only alternative is to go and read it on the paid side.
Old Tue Dec 06, 2005, 05:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
When it was stated that his left foot was on the line, I took it to mean the foul line. This would place his right foot inside the running lane. Since the lines are part of the lane, he is inside the running lane, and the answer is D. If, however, he meant that the left foot was on the outside line defining the lane, then he is not in the lane, making the answer A.

You first said, "If the BR's feet are both outside the running lane, the answer would be A."

The point is that *both* feet don't need to be outside the lane -- if even one foot is outside the lane, then the runner is outside the lane a liable to be called for interference.

Old Tue Dec 06, 2005, 05:51pm
Official Forum Member

I've got D - if the BR is in the lane, it's a live ball, play stands.

According to the recent posts, the orginal has the left foot on the line (foul line I assume).

Again - D
Old Tue Dec 06, 2005, 05:59pm

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:

You first said, "If the BR's feet are both outside the running lane, the answer would be A."

The point is that *both* feet don't need to be outside the lane -- if even one foot is outside the lane, then the runner is outside the lane a liable to be called for interference.

You are right. I knew that, but again I engaged the keyboard prior to the brain.