Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 30, 2005, 08:38am
Official Forum Member

Re: Hooray,

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim C
For WCB . . . a guy who "gets it." Finally.

TWPs are a huge waste of bad width and association time.

If an umpire concentrates on fair/foul, ball/strike and safe/out their umpire career will rocket past all those poor souls who actually worry about the answer of any TWP.
I agree up to a point, Tim. TWPs that never happen are a waste of bandwidth. However, TWPs that happen now and then are bad news for the unprepared umpire. Just ask Doug Eddings. At his level, it's assumed that he can handle the routine stuff like balls and strikes or safes and outs. It's the once a year situation that got him in trouble. Those kinds of TWPs are well worth discussing.

Oh, BTW, I strongly agree that LL situations are a waste of bandwidth.
Old Wed Nov 30, 2005, 08:42am
Official Forum Member

Eddings,

Well Eddings's play was not a TWP by any means. It was poor mechanics and an example of what happens when a umpire group tries to distract people from what really happened.

TWPs and "what ifs" are a WOBW.

Of course that is only my opinion. Give me a TWP play anytime over some over dramatic, bleeding heart, pity me type articles.

T
Old Wed Nov 30, 2005, 05:08pm
Official Forum Member

I can think of a few dozen articles that would fit your criteria, as well. By the way, 'Finally.' is not only inapproporiate as a response, but shows me that you truly don't know much about what I've written. I've oft said that this is a very simple game, done in by too much thinking. See the ball, make the call - get it right! That credo has served me well for a very long time. TWP are great snowy day fillers and great for sparking the fire we need each late Winter as we dust off the gear. Beyond that, if they don't waste a whole lot of time at pro school teaching it, why should we spend more trying to master them?

The best advice I've reeived over the years:

Coaches only care about the next umpire crew. (Once they see you, they just want to know that the next game will be played too.)

Sticks and stones...

Wear a cup.

Six calls...that's all there really are when you break it down. The balks and headaches all sort themselves out as you move along.

Image isn't everything, buy good gear and make sure it fits.

The biggest complaint a coach has is that you're late. Don't worry, he hates your calls too.

Relax...you are wearing polyester and universally referred to as a large fairytale ox.

Life is pretty easy when the snow starts to fall.
Old Wed Nov 30, 2005, 07:14pm
Official Forum Member

WCB

Please accept my apology for poor writing skills.

My comment "finally", while not parenthetical, was meant that "someone" got the picture . . . NOT that you finally got something.

Again, you said once most people can figure me out after reading what I meant . . . this time I even confused you.

Now I can sit back on watch some of the fine posters on this site post wasteful information.

Sorry Windy,

Tee
Old Wed Nov 30, 2005, 07:46pm

Please allow me to waste a little bandwidth here. Will someone tell me exactly what we are supposed to post on this site?

You guys have something to say about every thread. Third World Plays, bleeding heart articles, "what ifs", any mechanics question which was discussed previously (even though many people are new to the site and there is no search funtion), and any other subject deemed taboo by the lords of the web site.

I think people are just trying to post things that they feel are interesting, and hoping to instill that interest in others. One needs not particpate in any thread that does not interest them.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Wed Nov 30, 2005, 08:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SanDiegoSteve
Please allow me to waste a little bandwidth here. Will someone tell me exactly what we are supposed to post on this site?

You guys have something to say about every thread. Third World Plays, bleeding heart articles, "what ifs", any mechanics question which was discussed previously (even though many people are new to the site and there is no search funtion), and any other subject deemed taboo by the lords of the web site.

I think people are just trying to post things that they feel are interesting, and hoping to instill that interest in others. One needs not particpate in any thread that does not interest them.
Post whatever you'd like. It's a free site.

But forgive some of us dinosaurs our occasional grumbles of disappointment. You see, a long time ago when the earth was flat and McGripes and Sleazeteamz turned into little league sites, someone actually asked some of us to come to this site, post and help establish the forum. One of the selling points was that it would not be a Sleazeteamz or little league type forum. "Besides," it was thought, "the 60' guys already have three sites, umpire.dork, McGripes, and Sleazeteamz to go to. Maybe just this one site can be for non 60' umpires."

We responded and for some time this site was free of "are the hands part of the bat" and "poof rule" debates. Then gradually, over the past two years or so, the overflow from other sites settled in and more and more space is being taken by little league type posts and even non-little league threads get involved with little league philosphies.

"But you don't have to read those threads", you say. Well, yes, we do have to read some of them to find out what they are. And then there's the others that start out as normal threads and get turned to little league thread. We don't know that's going to happen until we read them.

Is it a big deal to waste five or ten minutes a day reading crap? Not really. But some of us remain, never the less, disappointed that the one internet forum that was free of little league banter is no longer so blessed.

True, it's a bit silly to pine over such things, but if were unemotional types, we wouldn't be baseball fans, would we?

So, post away. Anything you'd like will be just fine. We'll try to keep our wimpering to a minimum, like I do when I see another condo development replace a pine and fir forest on the hillside.

(NB: I use "little league", without caps, as a generic term.)

[Edited by GarthB on Nov 30th, 2005 at 08:13 PM]
Old Wed Nov 30, 2005, 08:36pm
Official Forum Member

Nevertheless, we're not the ones that say you have to respond to every thread. If a LL question offends your sensibilities, then take a step back and remember that the world is not all about you.

The first two words are there for a reason. Please don't tell me they were typos and not poor grammar. Maybe JR can post his cute cartoon now.

He who lives by the sword, dies when shot by those who use guns.

POTD
Old Wed Nov 30, 2005, 08:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by WhatWuzThatBlue
Nevertheless, we're not the ones that say you have to respond to every thread.

POTD
Of course, you meant to say, "we're not the ones who say you have to respond to every thread."

Good night.
Old Wed Nov 30, 2005, 09:09pm
Official Forum Member

Nice catch...

I just don't understand why you can't admit when you do the same.
Old Sat Dec 03, 2005, 09:36pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by WhatWuzThatBlue
I can think of a few dozen articles that would fit your criteria, as well. By the way, 'Finally.' is not only inapproporiate as a response, but shows me that you truly don't know much about what I've written. I've oft said that this is a very simple game, done in by too much thinking. See the ball, make the call - get it right! That credo has served me well for a very long time. TWP are great snowy day fillers and great for sparking the fire we need each late Winter as we dust off the gear. Beyond that, if they don't waste a whole lot of time at pro school teaching it, why should we spend more trying to master them?

The best advice I've reeived over the years:

Coaches only care about the next umpire crew. (Once they see you, they just want to know that the next game will be played too.)

Sticks and stones...

Wear a cup.

Six calls...that's all there really are when you break it down. The balks and headaches all sort themselves out as you move along.

Image isn't everything, buy good gear and make sure it fits.

The biggest complaint a coach has is that you're late. Don't worry, he hates your calls too.

Relax...you are wearing polyester and universally referred to as a large fairytale ox.

Life is pretty easy when the snow starts to fall.
Hey, in my racket when the snow falls I've got to add another 1 hour drive time, each way.

But I agree with the rest of your post: 99% of all calls call themselves. But sometimes the difference between a hereo & a goat is knowing how to handle that remaining ugly 1%.