The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old Sun Nov 27, 2005, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

This thread is to inform those considering the purchase of a HSM; to discuss pros and cons of each model. For those who would not consider using a HSM, there are other threads to read.

Quote:
Originally posted by DG
I have two perfectly good masks that I will continue to use until one or both need replacement. Then, I may consider a HSM. In the meantime maybe it would be a good discussion item for those that use HSM regular to provide their commentary on which manufacturer and model they prefer and why.
I tried on two All-Star models, Easton's, Adams, and Rawlings HSMs. I bought the All-Star MVP2300 (not the most expensive model). Reasons (function and fit):

1. MVP2300 had the largest vertical view of the ones that I tried. And though many do not think that this is a significant value, it was the main reason that I went to a HSM and this model in particular (more vertical view is better than less). Editorial note: Only Smitty keeps HSM on after the ball is in play.

2. The MVP2200 models have higher tech padding (the type you'd find in a quality football helmet) which I would have gone with except that this padding option didn't feel good on my lumpy head. The MVP2300 modls have a less-high-tech padding system, but felt more comfortable on my head. I believe that the 2300's padding is sufficient for foul ball (strike the word tip) protection so I went with the 2300 (and saved $30).

3. I've been told that All-Star was the first in this market and has some technology patent protection. I'm not sure if this is true or even significant. But it was a minor consideration.

What I don't like about MVP2300:
1. The forehead pad. This pad is glued in and is not removable/changable (I don't think any of the HSM have removable forehead pads). The lining of this pad fell off and was not sufficient to handle the amount of sweat that I generate either. In the off-season, I'm going to try to sweet talk my wife into coming up with a reliable/more absorbant liner idea.

2. I have run out of adjust room on the top strap of the back plate. There is a small space between my forehead and the forehead pad that I can't get rid because I've run out of adjustment. Tightening the side straps fixes this problem, but it at the expense of a too tight fit on the chin. I've considered cutting the top pad (which restricts the top strap adjustment) to allow more room, but I'm reluctant to make this permanent change.

I've used the MVP2300 for the entire season. I need to make some modifications, but still like my choice. I recommend that you try several HSMs for fit and fuction before making a purchase.

Edit: Error - reword from tip to ball (paragraph 4)...Drat!

[Edited by bluehair on Nov 27th, 2005 at 09:49 PM]
Old Sun Nov 27, 2005, 01:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bluehair
I believe that the 2300's padding is sufficient for foul tip protection
sorry to nitpick, but you dont actually need any protection at all from foul tips.
Old Sun Nov 27, 2005, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Brian,

Sure you'll need protection from foul tips. Just ask Harold Reynolds, Joe Morgan, or Tim McCarver.

Tim.
Old Sun Nov 27, 2005, 02:58pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally posted by briancurtin
Quote:
Originally posted by bluehair
I believe that the 2300's padding is sufficient for foul tip protection
sorry to nitpick, but you dont actually need any protection at all from foul tips.
Foul tip protection?
We umpires need protection from "foul balls". I trust all us umpires know the difference between a foul tip and a foul ball.
Old Sun Nov 27, 2005, 03:22pm
Official Forum Member

HOWEVER,

One can also say with complete correctness:

". . . hit by balls that are tipped foul."

Tee
Old Sun Nov 27, 2005, 03:27pm
Official Forum Member

I've got the 2200, and I used it in my fall college season as a bit of a test drive. I almost instantly fell in love with it as it is relatively light weight, it provides protection to your entire head (from the occasional wild swing or ricochet off an old backstop), and I find it has better ventiliation and keeps me cooler than a hat and normal style mask. I chose the All-Star model because it seemed to be the most popular and a buddy of mine that I umpire with in the summer had one and I used it a few times and it just felt comfortable on my head.

A member of my board uses a single peice mask, not sure what make or model, but that would seem to me a little harder to remove. Mine comes right off because the back is held on by elastic straps.
Old Sun Nov 27, 2005, 03:35pm
Official Forum Member

Re: HOWEVER,

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim C
One can also say with complete correctness:

". . . hit by balls that are tipped foul."

Tee
Good point! The English language is very fun overall.
(Also, I still like my "old style" mask).
Old Sun Nov 27, 2005, 09:29pm
Official Forum Member

Great topic (please...no helmet haters)!

I have used an Easton Stealth for the past 2 years with no ill effects. I went with the Easton primarily because, with the exception of the +POS, none of the others would fit my 7 7/8" melon.

I am looking forward to Tee's upcoming review of the helmet he purchased.
Old Mon Nov 28, 2005, 12:06pm
Official Forum Member

"2. I have run out of adjust room on the top strap of the back plate. There is a small space between my forehead and the forehead pad that I can't get rid because I've run out of adjustment. Tightening the side straps fixes this problem, but it at the expense of a too tight fit on the chin. I've considered cutting the top pad (which restricts the top strap adjustment) to allow more room, but I'm reluctant to make this permanent change."

If I read what you wrote correctly, there should be a gap of at least a 1/4" between the helmet and the back piece. If you read the directions that came with the mask, I believe that they describe how the back piece should fit in relation to the rest of the mask and there should be a gap.
Well I am certainly wiser than this man. It is only too likely that neither of us has any knowledge to boast of; but he thinks that he knows something which he does not know, whereas I am quite conscious of my ignorance. At any rate it seems that I am wiser than he is to this small extent, that I do not think that I know what I do not know. ~Socrates
Old Mon Nov 28, 2005, 02:26pm

Pros and Cons of the Mizuno Tsunami:

PROS

Excellent vision (we all know now which planet can be seen)

Easy to put on and take off quickly.

Not heavy or cumbersome. Easily held along with indicator in left hand.

Takes wicked shots and deflects them without that "rattle your cage" feeling.

Strong bars, no denting (so far).

CONS

Even with Coolmax(TM), very hot. Sweat much more than with mask/hat combo.

The ball sounds very loud when it hits the helmet.

Doesn't have the clean looks like the All-Star. Sort of an ugly duckling.
__________________________________________________ _________

I think the Tsunami name is being scrapped due to the recent tsunamis. The new line is Samurai.

[Edited by SanDiegoSteve on Nov 28th, 2005 at 09:47 PM]
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Mon Nov 28, 2005, 10:06pm
Official Forum Member

Has anyone tried the Rawlings Specter? I just thought it looked reall clean. I am thinking about trying out a Hockey style mask next year and I am shopping around looking for the best deals on the best helmets.

Any feedback is much appreciated.
Old Mon Nov 28, 2005, 11:18pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for all the feedback on HSM. I have decided - to continue using the two perfectly good single bar lightweights I have from Honigs, and maybe buy another closeout red frame, fit it with some doeskins and call it good to go.
Old Tue Nov 29, 2005, 02:32pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

I bought the Pro Nine HSM due to it's reasonable price,and good fit for the larger head set like myself.This helmet is real nice and is much cooler then my mask hat combo.