Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 23, 2005, 10:05pm

Good one J-ice.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Thu Nov 24, 2005, 10:11am
Veteran College Umpire

I like the old mask. I wear the old mask. I won't even try the HSM because I am very comfortable with the size, view, weight, ease of removal, and protection of the old mask. Therefore, I have no reason to switch, or even CONSIDER switching. Just because there's a new product out there doesn't mean I have to even consider it - heck, I love my minivan - why would I want a Hummer?

JJ
Old Fri Nov 25, 2005, 01:03am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Carl Childress
I've worn the HSM for over 150 games in the past nine months.

My wife is the reason. An umpire in our league was hit in the back of his head by a batter's backswing. Result: hockey mask for me. Merely a bad headache and two staples for him.

Except:

Here in South Texas it's damned hot. I mean, inside the helmet it's damned hot.

So:

Without my wife's permission, I am wearing the HSM for night games and my trusted super-light Mizuno for day games. (My umpire colleages call it the Mitchi-Matchi-Moto.) Edit: Which is probably why I spelled it with an "a" in the original post.

The mask is titanium and cost $185 plus overseas shipping. Six umpires and one clinician tried to steal it at Jim Evans' clinic in Ft. Worth. (Just kidding about the theft, but the mask was very popular: Can I use it in the cage, Papa C?)

I was told by a clinician that it is not available in the US. I got mine from XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX. Who knows where he got it?

At the clinic I also used my Douglas West Vest, which I bought in 1990 (I think). The vest was so new, the patent was still pending, marked right on the protector. A guy offered $200, about $90 more than I paid 15 years ago. He collects chest protectors, he said.

Mine collects, repels, and laughs at foul balls and wild pitches.

No sale.

I bought the platinum model from Gerry Davis, used it once, and sold it to a chump with more money than brains.

[Edited by Carl Childress on Nov 25th, 2005 at 12:04 PM]
Old Fri Nov 25, 2005, 11:53am
Official Forum Member

Carl,

Now all you need is my Mizuno PLATE shoes (ie - like Mike Riley) and my Riddell Power (a REAL Chest Protector) and you'd be all set

All kidding aside, I've been offered $400.00 for the CP and I still won't give it up. I got the shoes from Tomizawa while I was at the Academy - those are priceless!
Old Sat Dec 03, 2005, 08:18pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Carl Childress
Quote:
Originally posted by thomaswhite

Hate the platinum, never could get it to fit both to protect ny collarbone and H-S joint. Hate the new West Black, makes me look like a middle linebacker, can't throw with it on, rib cage flaps keeping popping out of place. Hate West too, he's a butt.
West may be a butt, but he's a damned good one. He's respected by managers and has exceptionally good mechanics. He also carries on a great tradition; i.e., he don't take no crap.

Of course, he's 0-3 in critical calls involving the Yankees in play-off games.

I'd better add a grin. The last time I said this, some idiots didn't understand, even after I had admitted he got all three calls right. (so - grin!)