The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Nov 18, 2005, 08:20pm
Official Forum Member

Looking for an Umpire Camp close within Va or close?
Old Sat Nov 19, 2005, 08:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by scottbono
No, I'm not.
Old Sat Nov 19, 2005, 09:35am
Official Forum Member

Help me find Umpire Camps?

Sorry- I am looking to attend a baseball Umpire camp. Do you have any suggestion for me?
Old Sat Nov 19, 2005, 07:37pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to umpduck11
Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by mbyron
Quote:
Originally posted by scottbono
No, I'm not.
Now that was truly funny. Thank you Mr. Byron,
you made my day.
Old Sat Nov 19, 2005, 10:00pm

Scott,

Try this link:

www.gmcgriff.com/refonline/camps.html

Not a big fan of this site, but this may help.

Steve

Yes, that was funny, mbyron!
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Sun Nov 20, 2005, 08:06pm
Official Forum Member

Anyody have any advice on what kind of pro school a guy like me could go to if I have no desire to look for a pro contract? I'm already over 50. I want to be the best HS umpire I can be, and would like to work college games eventually. I'm interested in more than a weekend clinic. I'd like the longest school possible without trying to make it a career. Thanks.

Mike
Old Sun Nov 20, 2005, 08:41pm
Veteran College Umpire

Mike,
Go to either one of the 5-week pro schools, and you'll come out a better umpire. Yes, they teach MLB rules, but those rules are the fundamentals that FED and NCAA and the other codes are based on. Learn the fundamentals first, then the variations at the levels you'll be working. You'll learn solid mechanics and communication, and the greatest thing they instill is confidence. 20 years after I went, though I never got a pro job, I'm working high levels of NCAA and loving it.

JJ
Old Sun Nov 20, 2005, 10:33pm
Official Forum Member

San Diego Steve,

Unless my computer is locked in some sort of time warp, that link appears to be 8 years out of date!

Amazingly enough, I would be interested in the same type of clinic as is the original poster and/or Mike Walsh, in the same geographical region. I can't devote 5 straight weeks to a school, but two or three full week sessions over a period of a few months would not be out of the question for me. Is there anything out there in the mid-Atlantic region?
Old Sun Nov 20, 2005, 11:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Walsh
Anyody have any advice on what kind of pro school a guy like me could go to if I have no desire to look for a pro contract? I'm already over 50. I want to be the best HS umpire I can be, and would like to work college games eventually. I'm interested in more than a weekend clinic. I'd like the longest school possible without trying to make it a career. Thanks.

Mike
http://www.umpireacademy.com/flclasic.html
Old Mon Nov 21, 2005, 12:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Walsh

Mike
Where do you live, Mike? No offense, but at 50 you don't have a lot of time to "eventually" work college games. You need to get started on that now. You're past the age some conferences will even look at an entry level college umpire.
Old Mon Nov 21, 2005, 01:20am

Quote:
Originally posted by gotblue?
San Diego Steve,

Unless my computer is locked in some sort of time warp, that link appears to be 8 years out of date!

Amazingly enough, I would be interested in the same type of clinic as is the original poster and/or Mike Walsh, in the same geographical region. I can't devote 5 straight weeks to a school, but two or three full week sessions over a period of a few months would not be out of the question for me. Is there anything out there in the mid-Atlantic region?
gotblue?,

I apologize for the ancient link. I didn't go there personally to check it out. I got it from the search engine, saw the name on the link, and figured it was up to date. I should have known when I saw whose site it was that it would be no good.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Mon Nov 21, 2005, 11:56am
Official Forum Member

Scott,

I live in NC and can mention a couple of the clinics I am aware of. Webb Turner runs the Cape Fear Classic Umpire Camp in Fayetteville NC during February. However, I know that last year's camp was cancelled due to low registration and I have not spoken to Webb regarding the future of the camp. Webb is out of the game now and living in VA and that may affect the future. The website for last year's camp is still up http://www.capefearclassic.com. It's a good clinic and you will learn needed elements of umpiring. Matt Hollowell used to also run a similar series of clinics in NJ called the Northeast Umpires Clinic. They had very positive reviews. Matt is also out of baseball now and I believe he had to cancel his clinic last year also. Tony Thompson runs the Southern Umpires Camp in Atl each Feb also. It's the longest running camp of it's kind so they have to be doing some right . You can search on Yahoo for the link but it is definitely worth a look. Good luck on your search.

From the little I have gathered, many of the camps are suffering from lack of attendees and I can only think this has to do with the economy being tough right now. It also has not helped that many of the instructors that started these camps or were long time instructors are no longer in professional baseball. Some aren't even umpiring on the amateur level either.

Regards,

Lawrence
Old Mon Nov 21, 2005, 03:11pm
Official Forum Member

Where do you live, Mike? No offense, but at 50 you don't have a lot of time to "eventually" work college games. You need to get started on that now. You're past the age some conferences will even look at an entry level college umpire.
No offense taken, Garth. 50 is much better than the alternative. I live in South Jersey. There are a lot of small college opportunities in the area, and a number of medium and large ones, too. I know of a few associations that have college contracts. One will welcome just about anyone, the other requires tryouts and accepts only the best qualified. The latter is the one I'm interested in. I've already done a few college games for pre-season tournaments and fall ball. I realize my age is against me in many ways, but I have a lot of availability and flexibility with my real job. My ideal retirement would be to go out early while I'm still healthy and devote all my time to being an umpire. That's a long shot and not a goal so much as a dream. The goal is to be good enough to do it whether or not the opportunity arises. I'd be fine with honing my skills to the highest degree possible even if I don't get a shot at a higher level. So the question comes down to how to get as good as possible. Thanks.