The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 07, 2005, 05:51pm
Official Forum Member

I did, but obviously you don't.

Yu simply don't get it, I'm not trying to gain the respect of anyone here. I don't want to write a column or go on vacation with you. My opinion is backed by more years than you and your cohort combined.

I can take jibes from Ozzy and laugh. I'm sure he can appreciate a sense of humor. The Bob Lyle reference was accurate and steeped in history. Again, you wouldn't understand that I have no intention of swimming in his toilet. Aside from TAC and Garth saying that they were bored by the topic, the same two guys keep trying to show this board that they are smart. Wake up, none of those guys answered my recent question because they know it makes sense! Even J.Rutledge stayed away from it and he doesn't keep quiet about much.

You'll think I'm picking on you, but you spend so much time and energy focusing on my words. Try to do the same with these; if you call verbal obstruction on a runner for diving back to the base when an infielder yells "Back", do you also call it when the runner is caught stealing after the infielder yells "Go"?

This is a baseball site after all and a couple of you are shaping this into a tabloid. Please answer the question and I'll know that you are capable of understanding the hypocrisy of your previous ruling.

Lastly, a buddy of mine lives in Evansville. While we argue about baseball BS, that Indiana town was rocked by a November tornado. His house was destroyed and twenty two people lost their lives - I'd rather think about them tonight. Pardon my lack of rebuttals but I'm tired of this nonsense. There are bigger issues in the world.
Old Mon Nov 07, 2005, 05:59pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by WhatWuzThatBlue
Wake up, none of those guys answered my recent question because they know it makes sense! Even J.Rutledge stayed away from it and he doesn't keep quiet about much.
Some of us are knee deep in other sports and the last thing they are thinking about is baseball. Do I have to keep reminding you that it is football season right now. I am less than a week away from Basketball season starting. Some of us are not concerned about baseball rules at this time of year or baseball umpiring. I know I am definitely not concerned about a sport where I will not attend a rules meeting for 4 months from now.

Peace
Old Mon Nov 07, 2005, 06:36pm

[QUOTE]Originally posted by WhatWuzThatBlue
I did, but obviously you don't.

Don't what?

Yu simply don't get it, I'm not trying to gain the respect of anyone here. I don't want to write a column or go on vacation with you. My opinion is backed by more years than you and your cohort combined.

You have been umpiring more than 35 years? WOW, I didn't realize that. That is a lot of experience! BTW, when did I ask you to go on vacation with me? I missed that. I would have had to be stoned out of my mind to do that!

I can take jibes from Ozzy and laugh. I'm sure he can appreciate a sense of humor. The Bob Lyle reference was accurate and steeped in history. Again, you wouldn't understand that I have no intention of swimming in his toilet. Aside from TAC and Garth saying that they were bored by the topic, the same two guys keep trying to show this board that they are smart. Wake up, none of those guys answered my recent question because they know it makes sense! Even J.Rutledge stayed away from it and he doesn't keep quiet about much.

With all due respect for J. Rutledge, this is a baseball forum, so that is what we will continue to talk about here, despite the fact that it is football/basketball/other season.

One guy that keeps trying to show the board how smart he is you! Everyone else seems confident in their own abilities, and they don't seek, nor expect, your approval.

You'll think I'm picking on you, but you spend so much time and energy focusing on my words. Try to do the same with these; if you call verbal obstruction on a runner for diving back to the base when an infielder yells "Back", do you also call it when the runner is caught stealing after the infielder yells "Go"?

This was not your original point, at least not the way you introduced it. Some folks like Tee and Garth realized immediately where you were going with it. I'm just a stupid rube, on the other hand, and responded.

This is a baseball site after all and a couple of you are shaping this into a tabloid. Please answer the question and I'll know that you are capable of understanding the hypocrisy of your previous ruling.

My previous ruling is that I don't call Verbal Obstruction at all, because there has never been a need to. I tell the fielder to knock it off, that takes care of it. No problem. I don't know about you, but if a player I tell to knock it off doesn't, I eject said player. But I've never called Verbal Obstruction ever, so where is the hypocrisy? If I ever really need to call it, however, I will.

Lastly, a buddy of mine lives in Evansville. While we argue about baseball BS, that Indiana town was rocked by a November tornado. His house was destroyed and twenty two people lost their lives - I'd rather think about them tonight. Pardon my lack of rebuttals but I'm tired of this nonsense. There are bigger issues in the world.

As soon as I heard of the tornados in Indiana, I thought of my friend, BigUmp56, who lives in Indiana, and hoped for his safety. I am very sorry that your friend lost his home, and that people lost their lives. That is very sad.

Steve

[Edited by SanDiegoSteve on Nov 7th, 2005 at 06:40 PM]
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Mon Nov 07, 2005, 07:22pm
Do not give a damn!!

I realize this is the baseball forum, but leave my name out of this particular discussion at this time of the year. If I wanted to debate this issue, I would have thrown my hat in.

If you have not noticed most umpires are not here anyway. You cannot say the same on the other football or basketball boards right now.

Peace
Old Mon Nov 07, 2005, 07:41pm
Official Forum Member

Damn me . . .

I'll pay for this:

Windy I did not answer your initial question because, even with my limited intellect, I saw you setting a bear trap.

Ya'll (as written at the Texas Speedway) do what ever you want.

I guess a number of us were silly to even think you would leave this ONE TOPIC. It is your windmill and that will not change.

¡ (in case you're wondering what that icon means: it is the tear dripping from my eye when I did not make your "respected list.")

Have a good off season and our thoughts are with all the people of Indiana.

T

Old Mon Nov 07, 2005, 07:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
[i]Originally posted by WhatWuzThatBlue
Pardon my lack of rebuttals but I'm tired of this nonsense. There are bigger issues in the world. [/B]
You're tired? Now you know how the rest of us feel! Does this mean we can find a totally different topic to discuss?
Old Mon Nov 07, 2005, 09:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim C
I'll pay for this:

Windy I did not answer your initial question because, even with my limited intellect, I saw you setting a bear trap.

Ya'll (as written at the Texas Speedway) do what ever you want.

I guess a number of us were silly to even think you would leave this ONE TOPIC. It is your windmill and that will not change.

¡ (in case you're wondering what that icon means: it is the tear dripping from my eye when I did not make your "respected list.")

Have a good off season and our thoughts are with all the people of Indiana.

T

TAC,
I was about to apologize for leaving you off the list when I read your post. You didn't answer the question because you knew that I was right, admit it! Yes it was a loaded question, but it just plays out the hypocrisy involved in making this type of call. Our last few exchanges have found you taking jabs. I have not reciprocated because I like to think that adults should be able to have differing opinions without caustic digressions. Why not just answer the question or ignore it altogether? Those jibes and digs are beneath you and you know it.

I find it amusing that Jeff can post on the baseball site when it is about Rosa Parks or the Cubs/Sox but not about how he would handle this call. It requires no thinking, how is it called where you live? I know, since I live here nearby. It takes longer to say that you don't intend to talk about baseball then it does to just answer the question.

SDS, I do have that experence in my back pocket. I understand your annoyance but it is true. Like I said, I've been at this quite a while and have been here for a few years (minus the hiatus for bad behavior). I appreciate the kind words about southern Indiana (BigUmp is nowhere near it, he's up by the Michigan border). My friend did lose his house, along with many others. Houses can be replaced, people can't.

[Edited by WhatWuzThatBlue on Nov 7th, 2005 at 10:54 PM]
Old Mon Nov 07, 2005, 10:09pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:

I find it amusing that Jeff can post on the baseball site when it is about Rosa Parks or the Cubs/Sox but not about how he would handle this call. It requires no thinking, how is it called where you live? I know, since I live here nearby. It takes longer to say that you don't intend to talk about baseball then it does to just answer the question.
One of the topics are about something that is interesting (to me), the other issue is not interesting (to me). I personally do not care how you handle the situation. If I give my opinion the next thing you or others will try to say is what I do not know or why I do not work higher level ball. I have found in baseball you can do whatever you want and no one is really going to care. Not assignor, not coaches or even fellow umpires. The rules are clear, the casebook is clear. After that you have to decide what you are willing to take heat for. No go ahead and tell me what I have not accomplished and the respect I will not ever achieve.

Peace
Old Mon Nov 07, 2005, 10:18pm
Official Forum Member

No Jeff, I've been quite nice to you lately. I only asked for our readers to answer the question not become defensive.
Old Mon Nov 07, 2005, 10:29pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
No Jeff, I've been quite nice to you lately. I only asked for our readers to answer the question not become defensive.
Wow, I should feel so privileged that you were nice to me. I guess I should bow down to the big timer baseball umpire that you are. Now tell me why I should care that you are nice to me or anyone for that matter?

Peace
Old Mon Nov 07, 2005, 10:53pm
Official Forum Member

Because Santa Claus is watching.
Old Mon Nov 07, 2005, 10:58pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to umpduck11
Smile

While I have heard infielders say "back", I have
not encountered one saying "go". I must agree with
the idea of telling said fielder(s) to knock it off.
I have yet to have one continue after an admonishment
about it. I did have one high school coach come to
me about it, and ask why I told his fielder that
he could not use such terminology toward the
baserunner. I informed him that it could be considered
"verbal obstruction", thereby awarding a base to
the runner. He politely thanked me, told the player
in question to cut it out, and all was well.
Old Mon Nov 07, 2005, 11:30pm
Official Forum Member

simple way to solve this

The answer to this is simple,

Peg that first baseman when he comes to bat and it ends.

Old Mon Nov 07, 2005, 11:33pm
Official Forum Member

Thank you, your response was polite and interesting.
It is amazing that high school coaches will believe almost anything, as long as we say it with conviction. It happens on the college ball field too.

Your columnar writing style looks familiar.
Old Tue Nov 08, 2005, 01:30am

Re: simple way to solve this

Quote:
Originally posted by Blu_IN
The answer to this is simple,

Peg that first baseman when he comes to bat and it ends.

That reminds me of what I tell the leadoff batters when they stand by the batters box timing the pitcher while he warms up. I tell them "you never see them do that in the big leagues, the pitcher would put one in their ear!" This always results in the batter retreating into his on-deck circle, where he belongs.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Closed Thread