http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/3413684
Old Tue Oct 25, 2005, 08:43am
Official Forum Member

COPY AND PASTE. YOUR'E WELCOME

Oct. 24, 2005, 11:21PM

It's time for umps to step up to plate
By JOHN P. LOPEZ
Copyright 2005 Houston Chronicle

JUST past the dugouts down the foul lines. Not counting Hilton heiresses and maybe government officials of small Caribbean nations, no one has so much free rein and so little public accountability as big-league umpires.

ADVERTISEMENT

It's the ultimate dream job.

You make decisions — bad ones, even — that determine fates and etch baseball legacies. You're never wrong, even when you're wrong.

You rarely have to sit behind a bank of microphones and be responsible to the people who pay your salary.

My bad. Don't know what I was thinking.

Umpiring major-league baseball games is never having to say you're sorry.

And even when you do get dragged into the dreaded interview room, like Doug Eddings after he missed a fateful call in the American League Championship Series, you can say things like "in our opinion, the ball changed direction."

Yes, it did. It went from the webbing of Josh Paul's glove to the palm of it. But, hey, spare us the details.

If you are an MLB umpire, you eat well — obviously — and fly first-class. You get cool perks and vacation days during the season. Always, you are protected by the commissioner.

After your games — even bad ones, like Sunday night's — you retreat to the dressing room under the protection of the most powerful people in the stadium — law-enforcement officers and dudes in yellow windbreakers.

And of course, the unspoken mantra of your profession is to protect your own like lionesses in an African drought.

Lots of calls went right on Sunday night in Game 2 of the World Series. But at a place called U.S. Cellular Field, the temptation to ask, "Hello? Anyone there?" never was more appropriate than in the bottom of the seventh inning.

Astros reliever Dan Wheeler threw a pitch high and tight on White Sox batter Jermaine Dye. The ball hit Dye's bat. Foul ball. Everyone saw it — well, almost everyone.

In a series involving a franchise that brought baseball its darkest days in 1919, umpire "Clueless" Jeff Nelson awarded Dye first base on a hit-batsman call. From there, you know the story.

Paul Konerko: Bang.

Scott Podsednik: Zoom.

And off to the moon went the White Sox, taking a 7-6 victory, a commanding 2-0 World Series lead and control of a fate that should end happily for the South Siders within a matter of days.

Part of me feels sympathy for Nelson and crew chief Joe West, a budding country and western singer who probably shouldn't try to book a gig at the Cadillac Ranch just yet.

"Blue Cowboy," West calls himself. Catchy. His affection for the twang of a steel guitar probably is a nice story, too, if only we could tell it. But catching up with umpires is the toughest thing in baseball.

Their calls time and again have led to the most dramatic turns in these playoffs, but umpires — always — are the phantoms of the postseason opera.

After Sunday night's game, reporters wanted to interview Clueless Jeff and/or the Blue Cowboy. Major League Baseball did not make the umpires available, and the umpires, like the Astros' hopes, faded into the darkness.

This is one of baseball's biggest problems, and it is being compounded with every missed call. Instead of facing the paying customers, the umpires are in shrouds and cloaks.

Umpires are human. They make mistakes. They also likely feel worse than anyone about the third-strike debacle that happened in the White Sox-Angels series or Phil Cuzzi's blowing his strike zone and then his temper in the Astros-Cardinals series when he ejected St. Louis manager Tony La Russa and slugger Jim Edmonds.

They feel horrible about Sunday night, too. No doubt, once Nelson retired to the umpires' dressing room he saw what everyone else saw. He realized he blew it and, if told to address the media, might have offered a solid explanation or at least reasoning for making the call and not asking for help from the baseline umps.

But this barrier that baseball puts between its grandest stage and the game's arbiters hinders understanding and acceptance more than it protects umpires. It's time for baseball to Blue Cowboy up.

When players like Brad Lidge and Chad Qualls give up series-changing home runs, we expect them to stand in front of their lockers and at least mumble through some kind of explanation. Lidge and Qualls, of course, did more than that.

Videos of the homers that Lidge and Qualls gave up, as well as that of the professionalism and accountability the two Astros pitchers showed in the clubhouse afterward, should be sent to every player in baseball.

This is how you do it. This is integrity personified.

Do you think Lidge and Qualls wanted to be there in front of the bright lights? Do you think they wanted to stand there, taking question after question like punches to the stomach?

They were there, though, because that is how accountability works.

Yet Cuzzi curses at Edmonds, loses it with La Russa, and fades into the bowels of Minute Maid Park. Clueless Jeff blows it Sunday night and then blows off the media.

As an armada of the nation's media descended on Minute Maid Park on Monday afternoon, they could ask White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen about Bobby Jenks' blowing a save or Chicago's baserunning troubles. They could grill Phil Garner and interrogate Lidge again. They could question Craig Biggio and Chris Burke about their defense.

But want some explanations from the umps? Shut up and get behind the man in the yellow windbreaker.
Old Tue Oct 25, 2005, 09:15am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to TBBlue
Wah.

Sorry Astro fan. Your guys gave up the gopher balls. One missed call that in real time could have been interpreted either way did not cause pitcher to give up a slam. He threw a bad pitch and it got crushed. And it sure didn't cause the gas can to give up yet another game winner in the ninth.

Where was Garner or F2 on the play in question
?. Oh yeah, Garner was sitting on the bench because he couldn't tell, and I didn't see F2 ask PU to get help. Face it, until slo-mo captured it, no one was thinking anything was wrong. Therefore the initial gas can had no idea. He just grooved one with bases loaded in the WS. Ooops

This NL guy now officially is pulling for the Sox because they play hard, don't do stupid things, and take advantage of situations presented to them. Plus their manager is a funny guy to watch. Sorry Houston fan...if your club doesn't come out and match Chicago's focus and drive...well, this one is over. Too bad, because I would like it to go 7.
Old Tue Oct 25, 2005, 11:22am
Official Forum Member

Renrod-

You're welcome for what? If I wanted to C&P, I would have.

Oh, and DON'T TYPE IN ALL CAPS, IT IS ANNOYING.

You're welcome.
Old Tue Oct 25, 2005, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56

I find it amazing that another media outlet want's to place the loss on the shoulders of the umpires due to one controversial call.

The Asros losing the game had nothing to do with the routine fly ball that Biggio dropped, did it. I'm sure it was the LFU's fault that Burke was playing in left and couldn't catch a cold out there.

As has been pointed out, the loss had nothing to do with their pitcher leaving a fastball over the plate in Konerko's wheelhouse, now did it.

I'm also thinking the umpire caused Oswalt to get to a hitters count and then leave a lemon fastball on the heart of the plate for Pod's to drive to the Dan Ryan.

Maybe the fans can all sing "There's a Tear in my Beer" in tonight game in Texas.

Tim.
Old Tue Oct 25, 2005, 12:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by renrodb
Copyright 2005 Houston Chronicle
i knew this would be absolute garbage when i saw that line
Old Tue Oct 25, 2005, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

Originally posted by BigUmp56

I find it amazing that another media outlet want's to place the loss on the shoulders of the umpires due to one controversial call.

Professional sports deals with momentum. Let's take this past Sunday's game between the Giants and the Broncos. The Broncos outplayed the Giants for 3 Qtrs. and 5 minutes of the 4th Qtr. leading by 13 points. Eli Manning drove the Giants for 2 4th Qtr. touchdowns and the Giants won the game.

ok what does the aforementioned have to do with baseball.

Regardless of how bad a team is getting outplayed it only takes one or 2 key hits to turn things around.

In the Angels / Sox series, Game 2 should have gone into extra innings PERIOD: It's a joke and IMO a CRIME that it didn't. No-One knows what would have happened. If the Angels did come back and win game 2 the entire series changes.

Angels / Sox again involving the CI that wasn't called. If memory serves the Angels would have had bases loaded and only one out instead of what happened. Again only a hit away from turning things around.

IMO, the problem lies with MLB more than with the umpires. The technology is there for Instant replay and IMO it should be used.

You can go on and on about how the Angels didn't hit, Guerro was 2 for something, and ultimately the Sox still had to drive the runner in from second but the POINT is: there should have been no runner at second base to begin with.

IMO, an umpires blown call ( in which there are ways to correct) is synonomous with a long bomb in football in which the receiver was close to the sidelines and having both feet in bounds was questionable. A call like that can change the complexion of the game and at least the NFL has IR.

All other major sports use IR and IMO so should baseball.

Also, I find it ironic. Suppose the umpiring we have witnessed thus far was the LLWS instead of the Major league baseball World Series. The umpiring crews would be chastized "to death" but because they are PRO Umpires they "get a pass".

The other venue is to improve the rating process. My gut tells me that there are Fine young umpires in the Minor League System just aching to get a chance and maybe after witnessing what we have seen thus far they should. Apparently politics plays an important role in the BIG leagues as well as every where else.

Pete Booth
Old Tue Oct 25, 2005, 02:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PeteBooth

Also, I find it ironic. Suppose the umpiring we have witnessed thus far was the LLWS instead of the Major league baseball World Series. The umpiring crews would be chastized "to death" but because they are PRO Umpires they "get a pass".

The other venue is to improve the rating process. My gut tells me that there are Fine young umpires in the Minor League System just aching to get a chance and maybe after witnessing what we have seen thus far they should. Apparently politics plays an important role in the BIG leagues as well as every where else.

Pete Booth
The LLWS umpires who were chastised were those who CONSISTENTLY made mistakes or CONSISTENTLY used incorrect mechanics throughout the game. One particular umpire called every pitch outside and down a strike. Not just one miss, not just two or three, but everyone. Some others were CONISISTENTLY out of position for calls. Still others demonstrated their level by dusting off the pitcher's rubber, second base and most anything else that didn't move between innings.
The pro umpires are making mistakes as we all do. In their case the mistakes are few. Replay and idiots like McCarver exaggerate them and give the impression that they are the norm. Unlike in the LLWS, they are not.

I saw one LLWS umpire make more mistakes in one game that all the pros combined have made so far in the LCS and WWS put together.

Regarding you next point, one of the reasons we are seeing some of the mistakes we are is that some "fine young umpires in the minor league system" were brought up before they were ready as the result of the labor issues or 1999.

We don't need a repeat of that.

Lastly, do you call the current glut of publicity and the finger pointing by all the talking heads not to mention the LL umpires, is really getting a "pass.?"

Old Tue Oct 25, 2005, 03:03pm
Official Forum Member

Jeff Nelson's mistake cost the Astros ONE base - their relief pitcher Dan Wheeler's(sp?) mistake cost the Astros FOUR runs. Who's fault is it???

As I once told a player who tried to blame their loss on us (the umpire crew).... "If your looking for someone to put the blame on, we got big shoulders - go ahead and put it on us"

[Edited by Sal Giaco on Oct 25th, 2005 at 04:07 PM]
Old Tue Oct 25, 2005, 03:33pm
Official Forum Member

Hmm, game one. Houston down by a run. Runners on first and third nobody out. Next three batters strike out. I suppose it was the umpires fault the Astros lost game one.
Old Tue Oct 25, 2005, 04:16pm
Official Forum Member

The problem with Pete's replay theory is the ball is never dead in baseball, except for a few instances. Technically, you can do it for HR's down the line, because either way, the ball is going to be dead and the replay decision will stand on it's own.

Suppose in Edding's play we have one out, R3 with 1b unoccupied. Strikeout with borderline catch/no catch, sloppy mechanics by PU, defense gives up, offense takes a shot and BR goes to first. Defense wakes up, throws runner out at 1b. Alert R3 takes off and beats return throw home to score winning run.

OMG... this type of play has been deemed reveiwable because the whiners got their way because the camera can see the catch/no catch (sort of). Sooo, PU or replay official looks at catch/no catch for probably upwards of 5 minutes on the Edding's catch/no catch situation. Replay official says Catch-- BR out on Strikeout,...but what do you do with R3. He would not have scored had the PU made the catch call. Does the replay guy put him back on third? How does he know F2 doesn't throw ball to CF trying to return it to F1.

In baseball, the onus is on the players, always, to know what is going on because the ball is always live and there are no do overs. If someone screws up (players, managers, umpires, ballgirls, etc)... too f--n bad, play stands. THAT'S BASEBALL!!! It's why the game itself is so great.

Replay can not work in a sport where the ball is not dead between plays. It would cause the entire rules of the game to have to be rewritten, thereby materially changing the game itself.
Old Tue Oct 25, 2005, 04:27pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by gordon30307
Hmm, game one. Houston down by a run. Runners on first and third nobody out. Next three batters strike out. I suppose it was the umpires fault the Astros lost game one.
Houston fan would say yes, because the umpires allowed Ozzie to call in the big tall guy with an unorthodox gesture, which we all know is a travesty of the game, and caused the last Astro victim to be unfairly put in a scary situation.
Old Tue Oct 25, 2005, 05:11pm
Official Forum Member

But don't you guys think that the umpires should be made more available to the media, I mean like the article says the players don't run and hide when they make up a mistake or give up a big run. And when the players talk the questions aren't determined or immediately protected by mangers if a reporter asks a tough question. Also the players take responsibility for their actions/mistakes while the umpires just make excuses. Now don't get me wrong I know the umpires have a tough job and they are bound to make mistakes, all I'm asking is that umpires start taking responsibilty and not copping out or hiding.

Old Tue Oct 25, 2005, 05:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CJN
But don't you guys think that the umpires should be made more available to the media, I mean like the article says the players don't run and hide when they make up a mistake or give up a big run. And when the players talk the questions aren't determined or immediately protected by mangers if a reporter asks a tough question. Also the players take responsibility for their actions/mistakes while the umpires just make excuses.
You're kidding, right? Players take responsibility for their actions? Seen any interviews of Mark McGwire lately? Barry Bonds?

You've never seen a player or a manager refuse a postgame interview? Really?
Old Tue Oct 25, 2005, 06:09pm
Official Forum Member

Responsibility?

Quote:
Originally posted by CJN
But don't you guys think that the umpires should be made more available to the media, I mean like the article says the players don't run and hide when they make up a mistake or give up a big run. And when the players talk the questions aren't determined or immediately protected by mangers if a reporter asks a tough question. Also the players take responsibility for their actions/mistakes while the umpires just make excuses. Now don't get me wrong I know the umpires have a tough job and they are bound to make mistakes, all I'm asking is that umpires start taking responsibilty and not copping out or hiding.

You call what the media does with players responsibility?

How about the interview Michael Irvin had with "what's his name" this week on ESPN? (refuse to mention the name of the Cowboys attempt at a wide-receiver)

What the media does is give the players an avenue so they can escape "messing up", "missing a block", "penalty", "striking out with bases loaded" and then the players can look good when they look for their next contract.

When someone presses them like Michael Irvin did, the players start playing the "blame game" everytime.

They call them interviews, but I look at it as giving them a chance to explain how what they did was "not that big a deal" in the scope of things.

IOW's the players favorite statement,

"but, it wasn't my fault"

Thanks
David