Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Oct 16, 2005, 10:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SanDiegoSteve
Just because an umpire is in the majors, doesn't automatically make him a really great umpire, or even a better umpire than the best amateurs.
This brings up the question of: Are the best D-I umpires better than some MLB umpires?
Old Sun Oct 16, 2005, 10:32pm
Do not give a damn!!

I think that would be a case by case basis. Most MLB umpires took a completely different route to the Majors than a D1 or any NCAA Umpire. It is not like the Majors Leagues goes around looking for umpires at the D1 level or HS ranks and groom them into a pro umpire.

Peace
Old Sun Oct 16, 2005, 10:33pm

Quote:
Originally posted by LDUB
Quote:
Just because an umpire is in the majors, doesn't automatically make him a really great umpire, or even a better umpire than the best amateurs.
This brings up the question of: Are the best D-I umpires better than some MLB umpires?
Well, since I put my foot in my mouth to start with, I'll go first.

Most umpires (these days) who go to umpire school, go through the gruelling years in the minors, and then get the call to the majors, are outstanding officials. But I feel that many do not possess the same kind of "crappy baseball" experience that the seasoned amateur umpire does.
The lowest levels, i.e. Rookie, or Short A, etc., are still a notch above High School or College ball. So, while we are seeing every possible situation known to man, they sometimes aren't experiencing the same things. Does this make sense? These guys might not have ever seen some of the idiotic plays that we see on a daily basis at the lower levels.

So, that being said, to answer the question, yes, I think that it is possible that SOME College, and even SOME High School Varsity playoff quality umpires are as good, or better than SOME Major League umpires.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Sun Oct 16, 2005, 10:52pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Most umpires (these days) who go to umpire school, go through the gruelling years in the minors, and then get the call to the majors, are outstanding officials. But I feel that many do not possess the same kind of "crappy baseball" experience that the seasoned amateur umpire does.
The lowest levels, i.e. Rookie, or Short A, etc., are still a notch above High School or College ball. So, while we are seeing every possible situation known to man, they sometimes aren't experiencing the same things. Does this make sense? These guys might not have ever seen some of the idiotic plays that we see on a daily basis at the lower levels.

So, that being said, to answer the question, yes, I think that it is possible that SOME College, and even SOME High School Varsity playoff quality umpires are as good, or better than SOME Major League umpires.
HS playoff umpires?

Where's Tee and his usual response to something like this when you need it?
Old Sun Oct 16, 2005, 11:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

It's been over a month since I posted here, but I just had to sign on for this.

HS varsity playoff umpires?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHA

Stop. You're killin'me. (giggle) You're just too much (snort, guffaw). I can't stand it. My ribs hurt. (cackle)
You're a hoot. (snicker) A real fargin panic!

This is almost as good as you missing being a pro because, in your world, you were three years too old (30) to go to proschool, even though there HAVE been honor grad picked up by PBUC over the age of 30.

In reality, you'll never know, because you didn't posses the huevos to even try.

Oh, I know. You're a good umpire. I'ver heard that some place. Oh, that's right it was you. You've told us so a number of times.

Funny, the internet is similar to prison in that regard. Just like there are no guilty people in prison, there are no bad umpires on the internet.

Thanks for the entertainment. With apologies to my good friend Tee, your post ties for the dumbest in the history of the internet.

But please, keep'em coming. The laughs are priceless.
Old Mon Oct 17, 2005, 12:07am

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

HS playoff umpires?

Where's Tee and his usual response to something like this when you need it?
You mean to tell me that you don't think you are good enough to work the bigs? I know I am. I'm not bragging. I know I'm good. You, on the other hand have never seen me work, so you don't. I've been working High School ball and other various levels for about 20 years, 6-7 days a week, from March to October, 150 to 200 games a year. I'm pretty much what you would call a full-time umpire. I have worked very hard to be a good one. Paul Runge thought so when I worked his boy Brian's Palomino tournament game in 1988. Critiqued me himself. Timing, judgement, hustle, mechanics, game management...all excellent.

I don't need your approval, or your sarcastic comments, or Tee's, or anyone elses, because I know just how I umpire, and you don't. Is that so hard to believe? I know some Division 1 umpires who I wouldn't assign to a varsity tiddlywinks contest, including one hotshot from my associtation who thinks his s*** don't stink, who works in the Mountain West Conference, and is the most horses*** umpire you can imagine.

If you'll notice, I said SOME. Even capitalized it so even you could understand, Rich. Not all. SOME. I fail to see where that statement is illogical. There are plenty of High School officials who could be pros easily.

Like I have previously stated, the only reason I'm not a big league umpire is that I started way too late to get a pro job. I regret that fact.

And Garth, the same goes for you. I am sure your the ace of your association or some such bull. I had plenty of huevos, I had the stupidity to believe what I was told at the time. There may have been a 30 year old honor grad. How often does that happen. You don't know my circumstances, financial and other at the time, so shut your ignorant pie hole. Thank you, and glad my life amuses your sorry one so much.

[Edited by SanDiegoSteve on Oct 17th, 2005 at 01:12 AM]
Old Mon Oct 17, 2005, 12:35am
Official Forum Member

"Paul Runge thought so when I worked his boy Brian's Palomino tournament game in 1988."

That was SEVENTEEN YEARS AGO. Are you going to live (and brag) about that ONE critique, forever?

Bob
Old Mon Oct 17, 2005, 01:03am
Official Forum Member

Like I have previously stated, the ONLY reason I'm not a big league umpire is that I started way too late to get a pro job. I regret that fact. SanDiegoSteve

It just keeps getting better. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHA!!!

If only you started three years earlier. For sure you would have been among the 25-30 graduates out of 300 from the two schools to go to PBUC. And, of course, you'd have been one of the 10-15 who were offered pro contracts. Then it's only common knowledge that you'd have survived rookie ball, short season A, long season A, double A and triple A over the ensuing ten to 12 years without being one of the 90% who got released and after working vacation relief for two or three years, you would be among the two or three moved up to the majors. If only you had started earlier. That's the ONLY reason it didn't happen.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHA
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHA
You slay me, man. You're just too fargin funny.

Old Mon Oct 17, 2005, 01:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'm not bragging. I know I'm good.
oh yeah, thats not bragging. sorry i thought you were bragging.

Old Mon Oct 17, 2005, 01:10am

Quote:
Originally posted by bluezebra
"Paul Runge thought so when I worked his boy Brian's Palomino tournament game in 1988."

That was SEVENTEEN YEARS AGO. Are you going to live (and brag) about that ONE critique, forever?

Bob
No, but thanks for asking. That certainly isn't the only one, it was and example, and for the sake of brevity, I only included one. I know that nobody wants to hear someone's life story here, God knows that would be rather boring, now wouldn't it? I could have listed a resume, but that would be tacky, huh?

I was called out, and ridiculed, for my opinion on the subject of who's as good as the big leaguers. I could provide much more background. Suffice to say that I work baseball in an area that provides many of the star ballplayers of today, and I have umpired over 35 current, and former major league players, worked many wood-bat leagues with former major league players, and have a vast amount of experience with top level athletes. So, yeah, I could probably step in in a pinch if necessary! People can laugh, or whatever, it's all good.

Does everybody here worship the ground the pros walk on?
It seems like everyone's afraid to say anything at all negative about them. Just about their peers, I guess.

Now, I know the major league umps have much more top level experience, obviously. But it doesn't mean that all of them are "better" umpires.
Old Mon Oct 17, 2005, 01:13am

Quote:
Originally posted by GarthB
Like I have previously stated, the ONLY reason I'm not a big league umpire is that I started way too late to get a pro job. I regret that fact. SanDiegoSteve

It just keeps getting better. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHA!!!

If only you started three years earlier. For sure you would have been among the 25-30 graduates out of 300 from the two schools to go to PBUC. And, of course, you'd have been one of the 10-15 who were offered pro contracts. Then it's only common knowledge that you'd have survived rookie ball, short season A, long season A, double A and triple A over the ensuing ten to 12 years without being one of the 90% who got released and after working vacation relief for two or three years, you would be among the two or three moved up to the majors. If only you had started earlier. That's the ONLY reason it didn't happen.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHA
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHA
You slay me, man. You're just too fargin funny.

Hey, wise ***, do you know that I wouldn't have? I don't think so. Okay, one of the many reasons, is that better. Jeez, I said only, my friggin' mistake. By the way, I know the road map to the majors, you didn't need to rehash it.
Old Mon Oct 17, 2005, 01:15am

Quote:
Originally posted by briancurtin
Quote:

Ali said "if you can do it, it ain't braggin'".

I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was.
Old Mon Oct 17, 2005, 01:28am
Official Forum Member

Oh, sh!t, you're serious. I thought you were pulling our chain. You really believe you're that good! Damn.

Okay, let's get to the truth of it all. It'll take some time, but what the hey.

I've seen several internet posters work games and several have seen me. I haven't seen you, but we can fix that.

Proposal 1:

I spend three weeks in Southern California each winter. Just post your winter schedule and I'll come and video one of your games. We can download it to a website and let everyone bask in your wonder.

Proposal 2: I'll be attending Jim Evans' Desert Classic again next year. Come and join me, and, if at the end of the week Jim agrees with your assessment of yourself, I'll pay your clinic fees.

I'll put my money where my mouth is and you put your "talent" where your mouth is. What could be more fair?

Edited to add: BTW, is it true you post at umpire.org as "Augie Donatelli?"

[Edited by GarthB on Oct 17th, 2005 at 02:43 AM]
Old Mon Oct 17, 2005, 01:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by briancurtin
Quote:

Ali said "if you can do it, it ain't braggin'".

I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was.
You're wrong Brian. You forgot that Steve would have got that pickoff at first right 10 times out of 10. When you are that good, it ain't bragging.
Old Mon Oct 17, 2005, 03:35am

Okay, Garth, here's the deal

proposal #1: If you want to wait until around February, when our high school pre-season gets underway, fine. I'm not going to be working before anyone else here gets to.

proposal #2: Let me get this straight: You mean you want me to subject myself to a strenuous week of running and sweating my old a$$ off in the damn desert, just so you could see if I could umpire around 40 plates a year, work a 4-man crew all season, sit around hotels drinking Mai-tai's til game time, and get vacations during my season? Bring Bruce Froemming with you, not me. My umpire school style boot camp session days are way behind me. Just sign my fat butt up for the show.

You gotta admit, how hard is it to be better than Bob Engel, or Fred Brocklander, a couple of scabs? I never said I was freakin' Doug Harvey, did I? I said some umpires, not the best ones. Lighten up a bit there, sport.
Closed Thread