Old Mon Oct 17, 2005, 10:08pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by SanDiegoSteve
Quote:
Originally posted by jacob_23
Quote:
...Bob Engel, or Fred Brocklander, a couple of scabs...
Bob Engel was a scab?? Explain please.
My mistake, Engel was not a scab. I didn't care for his appearance as I remember, nor his plate mechanics, but he was a fine official.

Let's try Blake Cullen, or Steve Fields, or John Shulock then. Pallone even.

LOOK GUYS, I'm not trying to say that I could go right out there, with no pro ball experience, and take their place on a permanent basis. I am saying that in a pinch, I could fill in in case of an emergency, and the quality of the game would not suffer noticeably.

As for the HS/OBR differences, I work so many different levels besides HS, and none of those use Fed rules. I work top level games in the 17-18U and Adult Ball. These adult leagues have been 9 inning, wood bat, and include former major league players. I have umpired Mark Prior, Barry Zito, Troy Glaus, and over 20 other current players, plus many former players, so I have the basic skills.

Yes, I should have worded it differently so here goes, and let's just drop it after that, OK?

If I would have gone to umpire school, gotten a pro job, made it through the BS years, I might have had a chance of being a Major League umpire.

Damn, I guess that describes just about anyone. I guess my opinion of myself is overinflated. Well, at least I have confidence, huh?

P.S. At the time in 1986 when I contemplated Harry's, I had just enough saved for the school tuition, and even had sent the money in. After I let people talk me out of going (big mistake), I got my money back because my family really needed it at the time, and the prospect of getting the pro job seemed unlikely, so economics won out over the dream. Now I sound just like the "coulda been a contender" people. Great.

[Edited by SanDiegoSteve on Oct 17th, 2005 at 11:50 AM]
There was nothing, NOTHING wrong with Pallone's umpiring. They just didn't like that he was gay.

And what was wrong with Shulock? He stayed in the majors for over 20 years and always seemed to do a good job.

Both were minor league umpires -- it's not like they were pulled off the street to umpire MLB.
Old Mon Oct 17, 2005, 11:39pm

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
My mistake, Engel was not a scab. I didn't care for his appearance as I remember, nor his plate mechanics, but he was a fine official.

LOOK GUYS, I'm not trying to say that I could go right out there, with no pro ball experience, and take their place on a permanent basis. I am saying that in a pinch, I could fill in in case of an emergency, and the quality of the game would not suffer noticeably.

As for the HS/OBR differences, I work so many different levels besides HS, and none of those use Fed rules. I work top level games in the 17-18U and Adult Ball. These adult leagues have been 9 inning, wood bat, and include former major league players. I have umpired Mark Prior, Barry Zito, Troy Glaus, and over 20 other current players, plus many former players, so I have the basic skills.

Yes, I should have worded it differently so here goes, and let's just drop it after that, OK?

If I would have gone to umpire school, gotten a pro job, made it through the BS years, I might have had a chance of being a Major League umpire.

Damn, I guess that describes just about anyone. I guess my opinion of myself is overinflated. Well, at least I have confidence, huh?

P.S. At the time in 1986 when I contemplated Harry's, I had just enough saved for the school tuition, and even had sent the money in. After I let people talk me out of going (big mistake), I got my money back because my family really needed it at the time, and the prospect of getting the pro job seemed unlikely, so economics won out over the dream. Now I sound just like the "coulda been a contender" people. Great.

There was nothing, NOTHING wrong with Pallone's umpiring. They just didn't like that he was gay.

And what was wrong with Shulock? He stayed in the majors for over 20 years and always seemed to do a good job.

Both were minor league umpires -- it's not like they were pulled off the street to umpire MLB.
Whatever, sniffer.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Tue Oct 18, 2005, 12:14am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Whatever, sniffer.
Weren't you supposed to be working a game tonight? Oh, I forgot....you were too old to get a job. Or was it too slow? Too dumb? Something like that, I think, but I've grown too bored to remember.

Back to the topic at hand. What was wrong with Pallone's umpiring that forced him out of the game? What was wrong with Shulock on the field? And how is it relevant HOW they got their jobs, Mr. High School Playoff Umpire?
Old Tue Oct 18, 2005, 09:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

And while we're at it - Blake Cullen wasn't even an umpire, let alone a scab. He was an umpire supervisor.

A word of advice for you, SanDiegoSteve - if you're going to start slamming people, at least GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT!!
Old Tue Oct 18, 2005, 09:30am
Official Forum Member

my view

I had the pleasure of seeing a good number of games this year at PNC Park. I sat in the best seats I have ever had....2 rows back from the visting dugout........just to the right of the home plate umpire.

I got at least 90 innings of up close views of homeplate mechanics, timing and up and down consistancy...

I know a lot of good HS and college umpires....I know a lot of good youth Rec league umpires....None of us (me included) have the consistancy that I saw this year.....

I got my monies worth of other learning opportunities as well........from game management, to rotations..(not that I work much 4 man) to fashion......patent leather shoes and belts?.....some do....most I saw dont.....

My goal is to be a good HS/college umpire........I know I would have loved to be pro...but I'm not on their level..........nor is anyone else I worked with this year....

Stan

[Edited by piaa_ump on Oct 19th, 2005 at 09:22 AM]
Old Tue Oct 18, 2005, 09:18pm
Official Forum Member

SDSteve................

Please be careful !!!

At your advanced age, you might hurt yourself with the serious backpedaling from your positions when confronted with those little things called facts.

Doug
Old Wed Oct 19, 2005, 03:16am
Official Forum Member

Steve,

Waht is your name? I evaluate at the D1 level and spent 2 weekends at USD this past season.

I would be glad to watch you work and pass on what I see.

If your work is superlative, or even ordinary, I will gladly pass it on to those on this board and will defend you.

Dave
Old Wed Oct 19, 2005, 09:09am
Official Forum Member

SanDiego Steve:

I'm new to this board but you are clearly the best internet baseball umpire that I have ever seen...on any board.

Old Wed Oct 19, 2005, 09:25am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by Justme
SanDiego Steve:

I'm new to this board but you are clearly the best internet baseball umpire that I have ever seen...on any board.

Lance Cokalinski would take exception.
Old Wed Oct 19, 2005, 02:10pm

Quote:
SanDiego Steve:

Okay, I sincerely regret what obviously is sour grapes on my part for being stupid, and not going to pro school when I had the chance. It was a once in a lifetime shot, but I didn't go. It was not for lack of huevos, as has been suggested. Nor was it that I was too slow, because I can still beat any runner to third on a naked triple, even though I'm sure not as fast as I used to be (I do travel a bit closer to the back of the mound than I used to). I listened to too many people discouraging me, saying that the school wouldn't give me a job, and they would say go back home and work HS and College ball.

I am certainly not an "internet umpire", that should be obvious since I wear my heart on my sleeve, and give up way too much information about myself. On the contrary, I have never been on umpire forums before very recently. Apparently, being new on forums is equal to being a new umpire, a phenomenon I hadn't expected. So I would say that I am more of a real umpire than an internet umpire.

Dave, thanks for the offer to check me out. That may or may not be possible, as I am expecting (hopefully) a great new job for which I will be testing for soon, which may conflict with my availability next season. If I am able to umpire, I will, and you would be free to check me out.

All in all, I deeply regret the factual errors in my posts, and in no way think that I could just walk in and take any of the fine MLB umpires place, just like that.
Had this or that happened in the past, who knows? I am quite sure that I'm not the only veteran umpire out there that has these same regrets.

[Edited by SanDiegoSteve on Oct 19th, 2005 at 03:13 PM]
Old Wed Oct 19, 2005, 02:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
SanDiego Steve:

Lance Cokalinski would take exception.
as a proud graduate of the Cokalinksi Umpiring "Internet School of Champions," I can attest to that as well
Old Wed Oct 19, 2005, 05:29pm
Official Forum Member

One Interesting Tidbit

I find it very interesting that SDSteve has had three offers to watch him work and report to the masses YET each offer was met with "gee, I can't" . . . (Garth B & Dave's offers)

Does this mean anything? Could this be the telling issue?

Hmmmm, what an interesting turn of events.
Old Wed Oct 19, 2005, 05:59pm

Re: One Interesting Tidbit

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim C
I find it very interesting that SDSteve has had three offers to watch him work and report to the masses YET each offer was met with "gee, I can't" . . . (Garth B & Dave's offers)

Does this mean anything? Could this be the telling issue?

Hmmmm, what an interesting turn of events.
I'm not working any games right now, that's the telling issue, wise guy! I said that I am expecting a job which COULD interfere with my availability. If you want to fly me to where there's a game I can umpire for you right now, send me a ticket and I'll come work the game.

I'm trying to humble my egotistical self here, and apologize for my stupid remarks. You seem interested in piling on more misery. Kick the guy when he's down type of thing. Jeez, I said I misspoke, what more do you want.

I certainly am not making any excuses and I never said "gee, I can't". I said I'm not going to a Jim Evans Classic, because I'm not trying to prove I can have a heat stroke (hear it was cancelled anyway). I then jokingly (I thought) said just put me in the show. Said very tongue-in-cheek. As are many of the things I say.

Hey, Tee, when you worked your seven practice games for the Mariners, did they tell you that you weren't good enough? Just curious.

Here I am, trying to be contrite, and everyone wants to just keep it up. I think about 10 posts ago, I said drop it, but nobody did.
Old Wed Oct 19, 2005, 06:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I am certainly not an "internet umpire", that should be obvious...
you came on here and flaunted the abilities you have, and abilities you once had, as well as the level of which you think you could attain had you gone to pro school. you didnt go, so it may have been in your best interests to just keep it in your dreams that you would be at the MLB level had you gone to school in the 80s or whenever it was. whatever though.

lots of people did go to pro school, arent in the MLB/MiLB, and the only time we hear about them is when someone is asking about what school to go to. you didnt even go and we have heard more about that fantasy than most people who did go's post-school experience.
Old Wed Oct 19, 2005, 06:47pm

Quote:
Originally posted by briancurtin
Quote:
I am certainly not an "internet umpire", that should be obvious...
you came on here and flaunted the abilities you have, and abilities you once had, as well as the level of which you think you could attain had you gone to pro school. you didnt go, so it may have been in your best interests to just keep it in your dreams that you would be at the MLB level had you gone to school in the 80s or whenever it was. whatever though.

lots of people did go to pro school, arent in the MLB/MiLB, and the only time we hear about them is when someone is asking about what school to go to. you didnt even go and we have heard more about that fantasy than most people who did go's post-school experience.
Yes brian, I agree, I should have kept it to myself. No, I was busy putting my size 14 plate shoe in my big mouth. Like I said, I regret my foolish remarks. Like I said, I am new to this internet umpire phenomenon, and did not really understand that nobody was interested in my crap.
Closed Thread