The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 10, 2005, 09:28pm
Official Forum Member

Good call, Joe West, on that Running Lane Interference! Typical Yankee trying to cheat his way on base.
Old Mon Oct 10, 2005, 09:33pm
Official Forum Member

I don't care either way in terms of who wins, but the throw came from the foul side and the fielder was set up to take the throw from that side. Of course it's a different game, but in softball, the lanes are reversed in that situation. If you see the fielder set up on the foul side, you're supposed to run inside the line (and thus not in the regular lane).

If I had the energy, I'd check to see whether J/R addresses that situation.
Old Mon Oct 10, 2005, 09:38pm
Official Forum Member

If the throw came from the foul side, how could it have gone that far to the left of the B-R on such a straight line? It would seem the laws of physics preclude that.
Old Mon Oct 10, 2005, 09:39pm
Official Forum Member

Oh, that last one was close. Looked out to me.
Old Mon Oct 10, 2005, 09:41pm
Official Forum Member

It would not be game five without some bangers...
Old Mon Oct 10, 2005, 09:42pm
Official Forum Member

But of course.
Old Mon Oct 10, 2005, 09:51pm
Official Forum Member

Agreed!

Quote:
Originally posted by UMP25
Good call, Joe West, on that Running Lane Interference! Typical Yankee trying to cheat his way on base.
I'm not a fan of the yankees, but that was a good call.

The runner also knew what he was doing as you could see him start to flinch as he saw F3 reach inside the bag for the ball, so he knew the throw was going to either hit him or barely miss etc.,

Thanks
David
Old Mon Oct 10, 2005, 10:00pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by greymule
I don't care either way in terms of who wins, but the throw came from the foul side and the fielder was set up to take the throw from that side. Of course it's a different game, but in softball, the lanes are reversed in that situation. If you see the fielder set up on the foul side, you're supposed to run inside the line (and thus not in the regular lane).

If I had the energy, I'd check to see whether J/R addresses that situation.
It doesn't, because in baseball the lane is the lane.
Old Mon Oct 10, 2005, 10:08pm
Official Forum Member

Hey Rich....

Are you getting ready for basketball? Are you registered for the SWOA 3-Crew Basketball Mechanics clinic? My partners and I are.....maybe we'll see you Nov. 4 if I can find the bowling lane. (Do you think they'll let us bring our bowling balls?)

wl
Old Mon Oct 10, 2005, 10:33pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by imaref
Hey Rich....

Are you getting ready for basketball? Are you registered for the SWOA 3-Crew Basketball Mechanics clinic? My partners and I are.....maybe we'll see you Nov. 4 if I can find the bowling lane. (Do you think they'll let us bring our bowling balls?)

wl
Getting ready for hoops? Yes, I've cut back on the beer dramatically the past few weeks.

Not certain on the clinic. We work a lot of 3-man, but I know the WIAA is going to want a formal clinic at some point before they'll assign us a state tourney (which is probably at least a few years down the road, if ever).

In other words, I don't know yet.
Old Mon Oct 10, 2005, 11:13pm
Official Forum Member

You gotta be freaking kidding me. That was a HORRIBLE call on the running lane interference. When the ball was thrown, Cano was running on the foul line. His last three steps, before he hit first, were all on the line and the ball got to first about the same time he did, maybe a fraction earlier.

I am a Yankee fan, but this call in no way caused them to lose. The Yankees couldn't pitch, and couldn't hit with runners in scoring position.

But I went back and replayed (on Tivo) the play numerous times and Cano was running on the line. Granted he was just touching, but he was on the line. West called a great game, but was 10 or 15 feet off the line in foul territory and didn't have the best angle on this play. I am surprised that West bailed out the defense on this play.

I didn't affect the game, but I thought it was a bad call.
Well I am certainly wiser than this man. It is only too likely that neither of us has any knowledge to boast of; but he thinks that he knows something which he does not know, whereas I am quite conscious of my ignorance. At any rate it seems that I am wiser than he is to this small extent, that I do not think that I know what I do not know. ~Socrates
Old Mon Oct 10, 2005, 11:48pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to umpduck11
Quote:
Typical Yankee?? Give it a rest,PLEASE....
Old Tue Oct 11, 2005, 01:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Kaliix
You gotta be freaking kidding me. That was a HORRIBLE call on the running lane interference. When the ball was thrown, Cano was running on the foul line. His last three steps, before he hit first, were all on the line and the ball got to first about the same time he did, maybe a fraction earlier.

I am a Yankee fan, but this call in no way caused them to lose. The Yankees couldn't pitch, and couldn't hit with runners in scoring position.

But I went back and replayed (on Tivo) the play numerous times and Cano was running on the line. Granted he was just touching, but he was on the line. West called a great game, but was 10 or 15 feet off the line in foul territory and didn't have the best angle on this play. I am surprised that West bailed out the defense on this play.

I didn't affect the game, but I thought it was a bad call.
You need to get your Tivo fixed. Mine shows Cano clearly in fair territory the whole way.

By the way, how can his last three steps all be on the line? Did he hop on one foot?

Excellent call, and I'm in New York.

(Wait till next year. Our new coach will lead us back to the promised land.)

Old Tue Oct 11, 2005, 07:38am
Official Forum Member

I hate the Yankees.... and I thought it was an awful call. It is generally accepted that since the bag is in the infield (and not in the lane), that the last step will have to come back into fair territory (out of the lane) to hit the bag. Cano was running essentially on the line (whatever previous poster said about hopping is absurd... watch it again - right foot IN the lane, left foot on the line, right foot on the right side of the line, left foot barely touching the line, right foot on the middle of the line... POP in the back, then left foot inside the lane, at the bag) and was hit right as his final step was taking him outside the lane. BAD call. But I was happy to see it. No tears for the Yank-Me's here.
Old Tue Oct 11, 2005, 09:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by umpduck11
Quote:
Typical Yankee?? Give it a rest,PLEASE....
Obviously sarcasm and a sense of humor are two things you lack.