The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Apr 29, 2001, 08:22am
Official Forum Member

Smile

I am PU, ground ball to F3 and as F1 is covering 1st he (accordingly to the other teams coach) obstucts B1 as my partner calls him(B1) out. The coach appeals to me about the obstruction( which I clearly did not see) And I ask my partner what he has?
My question is who makes the obstuction call? I had thought that I am watching for a lane interference, & that if my partner wants my advice on appeal he would ask me not the other way around

[Edited by Robert G on Apr 29th, 2001 at 08:30 AM]
Old Sun Apr 29, 2001, 10:28am
Michael Taylor

I'm assuming that BU was in "A". In this you should go up the line as close to the 45 ft line and watch for lane violation, dead balls, obstruction, any else that may blow up around first. If you are slightly inside the line you should be able to see the call fairly easily. But by the same token the BU shopuld have a decent look also. Whoever sees it call it, but I say it's yours primarily. What did your partner have? It may be that you didn't see it because it didn't happen. JMO
Old Sun Apr 29, 2001, 03:37pm
Do not give a damn!!

Pregame.

This is a pregame issue. Obviously if no one is on base, both of you can have this call. But this is an issue that you discuss in the pregame because some want to do all the work themselves, and if that is what they want, let them have it. Especically if you have a PU that wants all the calls. Some guys get anal about it. So discuss it in pregame first.

But according to the manuals, usually this is either on of the umpires call. The reality is to get it right. Obstruction is a delayed dead ball situation, so you can see the play develop a little bit before you actually call obstruction. But I see not reason as a BU you could not have this call, you are looking there.
Old Sun Apr 29, 2001, 04:06pm
Official Forum Member

Robert,

Who made the out F1 or F3? Where was everbody when the play went down? Who made the Allegded obstruction? And at what TIMEING did it take place? First let us see if you had obrstuction or another(biased)helping hand on the field.

In answer to part two of your question as the BU made the out call the coach should have gone to him first then BU to you.

rex

[Edited by rex on Apr 29th, 2001 at 04:19 PM]
Old Sun Apr 29, 2001, 08:04pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Jim Porter Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Porter
Quote:
Originally posted by Robert G
I am PU, ground ball to F3 and as F1 is covering 1st he (accordingly to the other teams coach) obstucts B1 as my partner calls him(B1) out. The coach appeals to me about the obstruction( which I clearly did not see) And I ask my partner what he has?
My question is who makes the obstuction call? I had thought that I am watching for a lane interference, & that if my partner wants my advice on appeal he would ask me not the other way around

[Edited by Robert G on Apr 29th, 2001 at 08:30 AM]
Robert,

There are a few issues in your post. I'll take one at a time.

First of all, you said that the coach appealed to you. If I understand you correctly, what you meant, is that the coach asked you about the obstruction. The coach is allowed by rule to appeal batting out of turn and checked swings - and not judgment calls on the bases.

During the plate meeting, with coaches who are unfamiliar with me, I make it quite clear that if they have a question about a call, request time, and then ask the umpire who made the call.

Traditionally, the plate umpire calls any obstructions, interferences, or tag plays up to the 45-foot lane and not beyond. Once the runner reaches the 45-foot lane, the plate umpire then has the responsibility for any running lane interference, as well as observing the pulled foot or swipe tag and calling it only if asked by the base umpire.

There are opposing viewpoints, as demonstrated by this thread. The plate umpire could make an obstruction call beyond the 45-foot lane. Just be aware that there are some base umpires who may frown upon that practice. Some old timers might get steamed, and feel you stole their call away from them. They might feel that you called the obstruction just to show them up, punctuate their shortcomings, or make them look bad. Others, still, might believe that there was no actual obstruction, and your intrusion into their play shows your inexperience or incompetence.

Be on the same page as your partner. Know when your coverage responsibilities begin and end, and make sure your partner knows, too. If you have a hard and fast rule which limits the plate umpire's responsibility to before the running lane, stick with that.

There are umpires who are from the, "get it right at all costs," school of umpiring. They might recommend that a plate umpire call any obstruction that he sees anywhere on the base paths. I am from the, "get it right the first time," school of umpiring, and unless it's really obvious that my partner was completely blocked from seeing a blatant violation, I'm going to support my partner's judgment, and not undermine it.

The base umpire is called the base umpire for a very good reason. I wouldn't want him to decide that my ball was really a strike and overturn me, so I'm certain that he doesn't want me to decide that his no-call should actually be a call.
Old Mon Apr 30, 2001, 08:57am
Official Forum Member

Originally posted by Robert G

Robert Jim P has given you excellent advice and I'll just add the following:

Your play is a big reason why one should have umpire meetings. I know these type of meetings can be boring and sometimes the subject matter goes off topic but as an association, we should be on the same page.

When we played, we all had specific roles depending upon the play ie; cut-off positions, who backs up who etc.

As umpires we also need to know what our roles are so that there is no guess work out there. The coaches do not know whose call it is nor should they, however, we should.

Also, do not get in the habit of allowing the coaches to question judgement calls. Cover this at the Coaches pre-game at the beginning of the game.

With no-one on base (partner in position A) your role as PU is as follows:

1. Fair / Foul Exception: If it's a line shot down the right field line and BU goes out, the PU is now responsible for all bases Note: as soon as BU turns his back to you, that's your signal to cover all the bases. BU should stay out as well and not try and get back into the play as there would be a possibility for 2 calls say at second.

2. Watch for the interference - 45 ft. lane rule.

3. Call Dead Ball on an overthrow to first

4. Be in position to help our partner on the swipe tag or pulled foot.

In your play the Obstruction call is the BU's call, since you as PU performed all your responsibilities per the manual.

Now as always, your pre-game should put you on the same page as your partner.

Pete Booth
Old Tue May 01, 2001, 12:47am
Official Forum Member

One thing you did not say in your situation, is whether F3 made the out unassisted, or whether F1 received the throw from F3. This is considerable help in envisioning the play. If F1 received the toss, he certainly has right to his need to be in close proximity to the base to receive the throw for possible putout. If F3 made play unassisted and there is contact by F1 prior to BR reaching first, then I would also have suspicions of obstruction like the coach did. What gives F1 right of contact with (or blocking) the runner if not in possession of ball or receiving a throw??

An obstruction CAN be called by either official.
If you saw it and feel certain of call, make the call.
BU has his hands full with the congestion occurring with all players converging on the base. You MAY have a better angle.

This may be considered poaching by some, but there will be others who will appreciate the assistance. I think your certainty in your decision is more important than your pregame. You can't cover all situations in your pregame unless you want to meet 4 hrs. before game time. Common sense needs to be used.

If you don't call it and coach comes to you, tell him if YOU felt obstruction occurred you would have called it. He is welcome to question the official making the safe/out call. That is all I would say.

Just my opinion,

Steve