View Single Post
Old Mon Apr 30, 2001, 08:57am
Official Forum Member

Originally posted by Robert G
I am PU, ground ball to F3 and as F1 is covering 1st he (accordingly to the other teams coach) obstucts B1 as my partner calls him(B1) out. The coach appeals to me about the obstruction( which I clearly did not see) And I ask my partner what he has?
My question is who makes the obstuction call? I had thought that I am watching for a lane interference, & that if my partner wants my advice on appeal he would ask me not the other way around

Robert Jim P has given you excellent advice and I'll just add the following:

Your play is a big reason why one should have umpire meetings. I know these type of meetings can be boring and sometimes the subject matter goes off topic but as an association, we should be on the same page.

When we played, we all had specific roles depending upon the play ie; cut-off positions, who backs up who etc.

As umpires we also need to know what our roles are so that there is no guess work out there. The coaches do not know whose call it is nor should they, however, we should.

Also, do not get in the habit of allowing the coaches to question judgement calls. Cover this at the Coaches pre-game at the beginning of the game.

With no-one on base (partner in position A) your role as PU is as follows:

1. Fair / Foul Exception: If it's a line shot down the right field line and BU goes out, the PU is now responsible for all bases Note: as soon as BU turns his back to you, that's your signal to cover all the bases. BU should stay out as well and not try and get back into the play as there would be a possibility for 2 calls say at second.

2. Watch for the interference - 45 ft. lane rule.

3. Call Dead Ball on an overthrow to first

4. Be in position to help our partner on the swipe tag or pulled foot.

In your play the Obstruction call is the BU's call, since you as PU performed all your responsibilities per the manual.

Now as always, your pre-game should put you on the same page as your partner.

Pete Booth