The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Sep 23, 2005, 10:35pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to johnSandlin Send a message via Yahoo to johnSandlin
Anybody have any information as to why two and possibly more crews of MLB umpires have been switched around?

Example: Fletcher and Schrieber are working on a different crew. Iassonga is now working with Mike Reilly's crew and Mark Carlson has also been bumped over to Reilly's crew as well.

Just curious is all?
Old Fri Sep 23, 2005, 11:40pm
Official Forum Member

part of it probably has to do with the last series in STL. i read on espn.com or something that gerry davis and someone else wanted to be at the last game in busch stadium because they grew up there or had strong ties to that area, so they are moved into that crew so they can be a part of it.
Old Sat Sep 24, 2005, 07:05am
Official Forum Member

That is a good possibility, but these umpires like Iassogna and Carlson are getting switched to crews in big series. MLB probably wants Ron Kulpa or Mark Carlson in Oakland or Chicago for a playoff implicating series instead of a AAA fill-ins. They probably only take umpires form weak series like SEA/DET and etc. There is no reason to have four playoff experience umpires in the SF/COL series, so they moved an umpire over. Paul Schrieber, Andy Fletcher, and Mike DiMuro all left during the middle of their series earlier in the week because of injury or whatever, so MLB probably did some emergency switching for this weekends big games. I think it is a good move, but that is just my two cents.

If anyone has any insider info on who will be working in the playoffs this year, please share as you get it.

Thank you.
Old Sat Sep 24, 2005, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

Umpire47 is exactly correct. Kulpa and Iassogna left the SEA/DET series to fill in on other crews working games with playoff implications.

Don't know why the league chooses to do that in some situations and not others. I imagine it has to do with the experience of the "fill-ins", since Barksdale and Drake worked last nights CWS/MIN game.

First-round umpires are announced this weekend. Insiders with info are few and far between.
Old Sat Sep 24, 2005, 04:27pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to scottyman51
That actually makes alot of sence...Its a great way to get the AAA fill-ins time in the bigs,which is great. Seems wierd how some of the umps such as Iassonga has been in MLB for a few years. I would have chosen Tim tscheda since he's got alot of years under his belt,but hey thats just me...

It will be interesting to see who the umps are for the first round.
Old Sat Sep 24, 2005, 09:06pm
Official Forum Member

I'd post my opinion on who should work the first round but I'd get a half dozen WOBW remarks.

So I'll just say that I noticed Mark Carlson's departure has allowed Travis Reininger to work some games with Joe West's crew, which helps the "get AAA guys some experience" theory.
Old Sat Sep 24, 2005, 10:38pm
Official Forum Member

Mattmets,

I will ask the question, who do you feel should work the playoffs this year?
Old Sat Sep 24, 2005, 11:07pm
Official Forum Member

Well I won't go into the entire crews that I think should work, but I think guys who have earned spots include Joe West (who I believe will work the WS), Mike Winters, Mark Carlson, Marvin Hudson, Fieldin Culbreth, Ted Barrett, and Jim Reynolds. These guys are in addition to the guys who seem to be playoff staples: Rapuano, McClelland, Montague, Scott, T. Welke, Marsh, and Jeff Nelson. I think the injuries to Jim Joyce and Charlie Reliford will open up 2 more spots that might not be there, which will probably benefit some younger guys.

Thanks for asking, John
Old Sun Sep 25, 2005, 07:06am
Official Forum Member

No problem Matt. I always like to see what other umpires think about things like this. I like your selections. I would also consider Andy Fletcher, Mike DiMuro, Tim Timmons, Eric Cooper, and Greg Gibson.

I like seeing umpires who truly went out worked hard all season, not had too many problems during the season get selected for the playoffs at any level in any sport.

I also have to root for the veteran Michigan umpire being from Michigan. However, two of the three most likely selections will probably not be selected due to injuires or evaluations and they would be Reilly and Kellogg.

I do think though that Tim Welke is a lock for the playoffs this year if not the World Series. West I think is a sure bet for the World Series, but we shall see as the next few weeks unfold.
Old Sun Sep 25, 2005, 08:43am
Official Forum Member

I thought Tim Timmons would be good as well, but does he have enough experience to merit a playoff assignment in MLB's eyes? What is it about Mike Reilly that makes you think he won't get it?

While I agree with you on Tim Welke getting a playoff nod, I have to highly disagree with your selection of Eric Cooper.
Old Sun Sep 25, 2005, 09:20am
Official Forum Member

I think Mark Wegner definitely deserves a spot. I also would consider Doug Eddings, Bill Miller, Dan Iassogna, and Tony Randazzo
Old Sun Sep 25, 2005, 09:41am
Official Forum Member

Mark Wegner should be there,as should chuck meriweather..I think if the redsox are in it they should being chris Guccione out to do the plate,or second......I think that would be ghreat,seeing if chris is vindictive or if david does anything.

my choices would be

west,wegner,meriweather,timmons,kulpa,crawford,Dim uro,Gibson,
Barrett,Diaz,Hudson,Hernandez,the list goes on.......

Side note:you would think troy fullwood should be working some games when crews switch. I find it hard to believe he isnt since he's done a good job earlier this year. Altho i am glad to see some young guys get called up,thats deffinetly a dream come true.
Old Sun Sep 25, 2005, 11:27am
Official Forum Member

Since everyone else is posting who they think should work, I'll post the crews I think deserve it, even though my humble opinion means nothing in the grand scheme of things.

Crew 1- Crawford, Timmons, Hudson, Everitt, Carlson, Davis

Crew 2- Marsh, DiMuro, Gibson, Barrett, Darling, Culbreth

Crew 3- Hirschbeck, Cuzzi, Winters, Rapuano, Vanover, Wegner (who I think is an incredible umpire)

Crew 4- West, Cederstrom, Bell, Nelson, T. Welke, Reynolds

I also think this year will be the WS year for Wally Bell and Gary Cederstrom.
Old Sun Sep 25, 2005, 12:12pm
Official Forum Member

Those are good crews.A good mixture of umps. Glad wegner is one of them,i also think he's a great ump.
Old Sun Sep 25, 2005, 03:46pm
Official Forum Member

I would like to see Culbreth work the plate when Randy Johnson is on the mound and see if anything interesting happens after Johnson was thrown out last week