The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Sep 25, 2005, 04:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CJN
I would like to see Culbreth work the plate when Randy Johnson is on the mound and see if anything interesting happens after Johnson was thrown out last week
this isnt a reality TV show. they arent going to set the crews up to start problems.

also, i like how people are saying that they want to see umpires who worked hard all season blah blah blah get in. do you mean to tell me that you know of MLB umpires that dont work hard all season? please name one.
Old Sun Sep 25, 2005, 04:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by briancurtin
Quote:
Originally posted by CJN
I would like to see Culbreth work the plate when Randy Johnson is on the mound and see if anything interesting happens after Johnson was thrown out last week
this isnt a reality TV show. they arent going to set the crews up to start problems.

also, i like how people are saying that they want to see umpires who worked hard all season blah blah blah get in. do you mean to tell me that you know of MLB umpires that dont work hard all season? please name one.
I am glad you realize how dumb this is. No wonder certain members stopped posting here.
Old Sun Sep 25, 2005, 05:08pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by briancurtin
Quote:
No one is saying anyone doesn't work hard. Sometimes guys just have better years, some guys have off years and they should be rewarded. It happens with players too....if we can discuss All-Star snubs with them based on merit we can discuss play-off snubs for umpires.
Old Wed Sep 28, 2005, 02:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by briancurtin
Quote:
Originally posted by CJN

Brain,
I would think anyone who has 5+ years of experience who has not had a playoff game or all-star game the past two years probably either isn't working hard enough or isn't working smart enough...with a couple notable exceptions for, um, "disciplinary issues," such as Brucie's phone explosion.
Old Wed Sep 28, 2005, 05:06pm
Official Forum Member

Majorleagueumpires.com (Joe West's site) has the Division Series umpires listed. Can't say there are any surprises, except maybe that Mike Everitt and Eric Cooper are placed in the rotation to work home plate in potential Game Fives. Nothing against either of them or their qualifications to work a plate game five. It's just that you usually get a seasoned vet in those slots.

The World Series crew will come from this set of 24. I'm guessing this means either Joe Brinkman or John Hirschbeck will be the Series crew chief. And I agree with someone else who said this might be Gary Cederstrom's year for the Series. I'd think Jerry Layne might get his first too.

Old Wed Sep 28, 2005, 05:38pm
Official Forum Member

Last year they had it so that the crew chiefs would work game 5 behind the plate. Guess that got scrapped this year. A couple surprises on here include Dan Iassogna (who is great but young), and Tim Timmons, who is also young. Am I the only one surprsied that Gary Darling is a crew chief? John Hirschbeck's crew is filled with a lot of younger guys- John and Larry Vanover are the only guys 2nd or higher on a crew. Also, Ed Rapuano did not get an LDS assignment- does this mean he will not work this year's World Series?

Anyway, based on these crews, my World Series prediction:

HP/CC: Joe West
1B: John Hirschbeck
2B: Bill Hohn
3B: Gary Cederstrom
LF: Angel Hernandez
RF: Jerry Layne
Old Wed Sep 28, 2005, 11:07pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to goyanksgonj Send a message via Yahoo to goyanksgonj
According to MajorLeagueUmpires.com...

Quote:
Originally posted by mattmets
Am I the only one surprised that Gary Darling is a crew chief?
Matt, if you review the listing again, all indications are that, odd as it may seem compared to the other three crews, it appears as if West is the crew chief on that crew.

But, all that aside, Matt, did you by chance forget that Mark Hirschbeck's retirement before '04 elevated Darling to regular season crew chief?

Then again, West may have possibly made a mistake in posting that.
Old Thu Sep 29, 2005, 06:31am
Official Forum Member

goyanksgo, review it again. Right next to Gary's name it clearly says "chief." I'm not illiterate.

And no, I didn't forget he was promoted, I just didn't think he'd get a crew in his second year as a CC. Much like I didn't think Iassogna and Timmons would get assignments this early in their careers.
Old Thu Sep 29, 2005, 07:09am
Official Forum Member

How did Bruce Drekman get an assignment?
How does the rotation of a six-man crew go?
Old Thu Sep 29, 2005, 08:00am
Official Forum Member

HP-RF-LF-3B-2B-1B

I think a better question would be how did Eric Cooper get an assignment.
Old Thu Sep 29, 2005, 09:30am
Official Forum Member

mattmets - maybe it changed in the 3 hours since you posted, but Joe West is listed as chief.
Old Thu Sep 29, 2005, 09:33am
Official Forum Member

Yes it did change- on the original list on Joe's website Gary is listed as the chief.

My apologies.
Old Thu Sep 29, 2005, 10:04am
Official Forum Member

They did switch West and Darling as crew chiefs from the original posting. I wouldn't be surprised if they flip places in the rotation too (West doing game one, Darling game five).

As for Rapuano, look for him in an LCS (along with a few others like Scott, Tschida, Crawford, Froemming). I figure a couple guys will get their first chance at an LCS (Ted Barrett, Paul Emmel).

For what it's worth, the World Series will probably have Layne and Cederstrom working their first, with West and Hirschbeck joining them. The other two slots? Darling and Brinkman maybe. Hernandez a possibility. For some reason MLB is big on him in the post season and let him act as crew chief for the better part of the season too. Go figure.
Old Thu Sep 29, 2005, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to johnSandlin Send a message via Yahoo to johnSandlin
With regards to the comment about Cooper, he is one of the best young umpires in MLB right now along with Wegner I enjoy watching the both of them. Also, Cooper worked the NLCS last year and did a GREAT job throughout the entire series.

I think the following guys have the best shot of working the World Series this year because of their current year but also recent playoff assignments.

John Hirschbeck (CC)
Gary Cedarstrom
Jerry Layne
Jeff Nelson
Mark Wegner
Angel Hernandez

Layne and Cedarstrom definitely deserve a shot at the World Series because of the time they have put in as umpires, plus I also think because of Nelson's and Wegner's recent assignments to either All Star games, division series, or LCS's they will probably get serious considerations as well if their division series go well this year.

Just my opinion though.

[Edited by johnSandlin on Sep 29th, 2005 at 11:58 AM]
Old Thu Sep 29, 2005, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to johnSandlin Send a message via Yahoo to johnSandlin
I think your LCS crews will look something like this,

Dale Scott
Ted Barrett
Chuck Meriwether
Tim McClelland
Brian Gorman
Ed Rapuano

Tim Welke
Gerry Davis
Randy Marsh
Andy Fletcher
Mike DiMuro
Paul Emmel

There are many more deserving guys for those assignments. And these names not so much in this order or in this group, but some combination to form two crews.