The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Sep 29, 2005, 11:28am
Official Forum Member

FWIW, Tim Welke and Randy Marsh were the LCS crew chiefs last year.

In regards to Mark Wegner working the World Series, I would love to see that. But, I think he's probably too young to get that assignment. Then again, Iassogna and Timmons are working the LDS, with Dan in his second full MLB season. I could also see Nelson working the Series, but I think he is in the same boat as Mark. Either way, the LDS crews leave a lot of very very good candidates, even though I wonder why Ed Rapuano did not get in.
Old Thu Sep 29, 2005, 02:13pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to johnSandlin Send a message via Yahoo to johnSandlin
MLB could also be taking the approach of the spreading the "wealth" around too different umpires that deserve the assignments. Umpires may have also taken their name out of the running because of working so many assignments over the past few years. Just possible thoughts and suggestions though.

However, I think it is a pretty safe bet that guys the worked the World Series last year will be on either LCS crews this year. You may also find repeat appearances from guys who worked the LCS's last year as well (like Marsh and T. Welke).

Yes, Wegner and Nelson are young, but it looks like MLB is going away from the age and years of service with some of their assignments and going based on evaluations and recommendations.
Old Thu Sep 29, 2005, 07:55pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to scottyman51
On 850 WEEI here in the Boston area gary cederstrom is getting alot of praze for his great job behind the plate. I'de have to agree,watching the game on NESN(new england sports network)they have also said he is doing a great job. He's got great controll of the game,consistant strike zone. He should deffinetly do the world series. Its not everyday the umpires get this much praze...Infact in last nights game when o'nora made a bad call at second on a close play,they showed several slow motion replays,and he did infact blow the call...which led to some "bad call"comments. For the most part this crew (welke,cederstrom,o'nora,welke)have done a good job.Wish i could say the same about the redsox...:/
Old Thu Sep 29, 2005, 09:57pm
Official Forum Member

Scotty for the record that was Bill Welke at 2nd, not Brian O'Nora.
Old Fri Sep 30, 2005, 12:25pm
Official Forum Member

I agree this crew did a good job with this Blue Jays-Red Sox series. Cederstrom had a solid and consistent night behind the plate last night. That's one reason I say he's probably a sure bet for the WS this year.

Anyone have the inside track on which crew is doing the Sox-Yanks this weekend? I'm wondering if it will be a crew with some substitutions made to give it more experience than a typical crew would have. I thought I read some time ago that Dale Scott's crew had the assignment originally, but that may have changed. Especially since Kulpa will be off that crew to do the St. Louis series. Unless they replace him with a seasoned vet.
Old Fri Sep 30, 2005, 12:47pm
Official Forum Member

It may be Dale Scott's crew since they were just in Philadelphia. I think that it will be Gary Darling's crew, though, because they've gotten a lot of high profile series. With either of those crews, though, you can't go wrong at all.
Old Fri Sep 30, 2005, 02:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by johnSandlin
I think your LCS crews will look something like this,

Dale Scott
Ted Barrett
Chuck Meriwether
Tim McClelland
Brian Gorman
Ed Rapuano

Tim Welke
Gerry Davis
Randy Marsh
Andy Fletcher
Mike DiMuro
Paul Emmel

There are many more deserving guys for those assignments. And these names not so much in this order or in this group, but some combination to form two crews.
I have seen stranger things, but...I don't think Emmel makes it. I saw him blow an easy rotation and work very inconsitant plates this year in Seattle. I'm not saying he's dog poop, 'cuz you ain't in the show if you're not REAL good. But I don't see how they can "reward" Emmel if the rest of his year went like the two games I saw him work.
Old Fri Sep 30, 2005, 02:52pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to scottyman51
matt,i apologize I was wrong. I remember the night before o'nora was at second and the nights must have blended together....

Hopefully its either crew,Darlings crew has Wegner in it which is deffinetly good;however dale scotts crew has Tim Tschida in it,which is also a plus.Either will be good.

God i hope the redsox win......alittle off topic..
Old Sat Oct 01, 2005, 09:38am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to johnSandlin Send a message via Yahoo to johnSandlin
Saw the boxscore this morning for the Cardinals game last night and it got me thinking about something.

I remember reading recently that MLB allowed Gerry Davis and Ron Kulpa to switch from their original crews and be allowed to join Joe Brinkman's crew this weekend for the final series ever in the old Busch Stadium because of Davis and Kulpa having close ties to the St. Louis area.

Well, as I was reading the boxscore, I saw that only one actually member of Brinkman's crew is working this series. The umpires working are Reininger (AAA call up), Gerry Davis, Ron Kulpa, and Derryl Cousins (original Brinkman crew member).

My question was, with Brinkman being moved or off this weekend, Cousins being on the original crew, and Davis already a crew chief, who is the crew chief for this crew? Would it be Davis because of already being a crew chief? Or Cousins because his crew was originally assigned and Davis is just being allowed to switch around?

Any thoughts on MLB's policy.
Old Sat Oct 01, 2005, 10:58am
Official Forum Member

I would think Gerry Davis because he is already a crew chief.

Something vaguely similar is in New York, where Gerry's "real" crew is. Bill Hohn worked on Thursday night, but then Chad Fairchild slid into his spot yesterday. Does this leave Doug Eddings as the crew chief?
Old Mon Oct 03, 2005, 06:25pm
Official Forum Member

I wonder why Joe West's site is so far ahead of MLB? You figure MLB knows who it assigned (how else would West know?). Why officially post and announce the crews the day before the Division Series begin? Umpires themselves are told two Saturdays before the regular season ends.

Of course, LCS umpires needed to be informed by this past Saturday if they're working next week's two LCS's. MLB will probably post next Monday. Maybe West will tip us off early again (maybe Tuesday or Wednesday this week).

I still figure on seeing two or three guys working their first LCS. Personally, I'd pick Ted Barrett and Doug Eddings, but I'd also look for Phil Cuzzi or Paul Emmel to get the nod. Crew chiefs? Bruce Froemming hasn't done an LCS in some time. Rick Reed has been absent from the post season for years and had a good year. So they'd be my picks.

World Series - Brinkman, Hirschbeck, Cederstrom, Layne, Darling, West
Old Mon Oct 03, 2005, 06:39pm
Official Forum Member

I think we get it from Joe so far ahead because he is involved. He got the All-Star crew up early because he was the crew chief. I think the same applies with the Division Series. I wouldn't expect to find out who got LCS assignments until they come from MLB.

And that World Series crew seems pretty good, barring the fact that Ed Rapuano won't get it....unless MLB scrapped the Divison Series-World Series sequence.