The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Sep 13, 2005, 02:42pm
Official Forum Member

What is going on with Officiating.com?

First off there is an article by Juulie and Ray Cox, a basketball article, in the baseball section. As always, I read the article anyways. I'm sitting here reading it thinking I swear I have read this before. I click back to go to the baseball page, and see an editor's note in the "grabber" of the article. The article is from June 21st, and it was "reprinted here (baseball section) for your convenience."

Rollie's most rescent article doesn't have anything to do with officiating, it dosen't even have anything to do with sports.

Also, Ives continues his quest to turn the Official Forum into eteamz, while the basketball section has racist writers.
Old Tue Sep 13, 2005, 05:18pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by LDUB

Also, Ives continues his quest to turn the Official Forum into eteamz, while the basketball section has racist writers.
You're painting all of us who post there with rather a broad brush.

Care to be a little more specific?

WHO IS A RACIST WRITER ON THE BASKETBALL FORUM?
Old Tue Sep 13, 2005, 06:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
I didn't say anything about the forum. I said writers, refering to those who write for Officiating.com.

Quote from Juulie in Brandon's article:

Quote:
ItÂ’s interesting because I think I have less trouble with the African-American players and coaches than the white ones. In the Black culture, women are more respected in authority positions, so a lot of Blacks donÂ’t have so much trouble believing that I could do an adequate job. Not that I never have any trouble with black individuals; of course, I do just as I do sometimes with Caucasian, Latino, Asian, and Native American individuals. But the respect thing is less of a problem with Blacks.
Old Tue Sep 13, 2005, 06:39pm
Official Forum Member

We've all gotten tired of the LL BS, the complete 3rd world plays and the total $hitheads that are all over the place. Don't believe it, check out a few of the threads. A person poses a play and an old timer gives the correct answer. Then the person turns into a $hithead and argues about "real world" umpiring and other crap.

I am personally getting sick of it all! I do not enjoy having square off with every other poster but that is what it seems to be lately. There are less and less of the old timers left - each time I turn around, another one gives up. I guess, it won't be too much longer for me either..... sad!
Old Tue Sep 13, 2005, 08:31pm
Official Forum Member

Maybe what "everyone" is tired of is a select few elitist (in thier own minds) individuals trashing everyone who doesn't meet their criteria for involvement in "real baseball" and for not being "real umpires."
Old Tue Sep 13, 2005, 08:37pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to umpduck11

I have yet to bash anyone for the level of baseball
they work,but I must agree with those who are tired
of moronic questions by people who refuse to accept
what experienced,veteran umpires have to offer in
terms of response.I have noticed lately,though,that
a couple of said people have been noticably absent
of late.I hope they stay gone.
Old Tue Sep 13, 2005, 11:33pm
Official Forum Member

I'm still here umpduck. Just keeping my mouth shut, reading and trying to learn. I'm not going anywhere.
Old Wed Sep 14, 2005, 08:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by LDUB
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
I didn't say anything about the forum. I said writers, refering to those who write for Officiating.com.

Quote from Juulie in Brandon's article:

Quote:
ItÂ’s interesting because I think I have less trouble with the African-American players and coaches than the white ones. In the Black culture, women are more respected in authority positions, so a lot of Blacks donÂ’t have so much trouble believing that I could do an adequate job. Not that I never have any trouble with black individuals; of course, I do just as I do sometimes with Caucasian, Latino, Asian, and Native American individuals. But the respect thing is less of a problem with Blacks.
whoa! :O
Old Wed Sep 14, 2005, 03:50pm
Official Forum Member

Starting more $hit

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Ives
Maybe what "everyone" is tired of is a select few elitist (in thier own minds) individuals trashing everyone who doesn't meet their criteria for involvement in "real baseball" and for not being "real umpires."
Rich, please do us all a favor and stop trying to stir the pot. I'm sure that most of us that frequent this board know whom it is that you are refering to. Although all of us don't agree with everything he says, some of us do agree with most of it.
Old Wed Sep 14, 2005, 05:57pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Starting more $hit

Quote:
Originally posted by bbump82
Quote:
Rich, please do us all a favor and stop trying to stir the pot. I'm sure that most of us that frequent this board know whom it is that you are refering to. Although all of us don't agree with everything he says, some of us do agree with most of it.
Yup, I'm the one that made that statement earlier this year. Sorry if I don't believe in the church of LL but that is my opinion. My problem is when a bunch of LL'ers think that they can play "internet big diamond experts". I may not be right all the time and I don't expect to be. After 20 years I am still learning.

Sorry, I did not want to turn this into a LL discussion.
Old Wed Sep 14, 2005, 06:46pm
Do not give a damn!!

Re: Re: Starting more $hit

Quote:
Originally posted by ozzy6900
Yup, I'm the one that made that statement earlier this year. Sorry if I don't believe in the church of LL but that is my opinion. My problem is when a bunch of LL'ers think that they can play "internet big diamond experts". I may not be right all the time and I don't expect to be. After 20 years I am still learning.

Sorry, I did not want to turn this into a LL discussion.
Please tell me you are kidding?

Almost no one uses their real name. Most of us have never worked with one another on this site. I have only worked a baseball game with one individual and he is one of the moderators. And you are concerned because someone that says they work a certain level talks about baseball? I would be more concerned with the people that say they work "real baseball" and cannot umpire themselves out of a wet paper bag.

Peace
Old Wed Sep 14, 2005, 08:22pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Starting more $hit

Quote:
Originally posted by bbump82
Quote:
Well, first of all it's more than one person.

Secondly, the notion that lack of participation is because inexperienced people ask questions may be correct, and may not be. It is only one possibility. There could be other reasons. I suggested one.

Maybe the fact that the season is over for most is the real reason.

And see if you can rationally explain why it's OK for Luke and Ozzy to insult me but I can't comment back.
Old Wed Sep 14, 2005, 09:40pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Starting more $hit

[QUOTE]Originally posted by JRutledge
Quote:
Almost no one uses their real name. Most of us have never worked with one another on this site. I have only worked a baseball game with one individual and he is one of the moderators. And you are concerned because someone that says they work a certain level talks about baseball? I would be more concerned with the people that say they work "real baseball" and cannot umpire themselves out of a wet paper bag.

I, Sal Giacomantonio, use my real name and don't exaggerate my qualifications. Personally, I learn from many different umpires on this site with varying degree of experience levels. Besides guys that are in the game, I don't know why people hide there identity and/or misrepresent their resumes.

The level you work does not necessarily reflect how good of an umpire you are. I work with guys in the Northern League and Frontier League that I wouldn't feel comfortable walking onto a high school field with. And, vice/versa, I'm sure there are guys out there that work HS ball that could hold their own just fine on a pro ball (independent) field.

My point is just be yourself, be open minded to others opinions/suggestions and most of all, if you don't have something positive and/or constructive to add, please don't post anything at all.
Old Thu Sep 15, 2005, 05:16am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
Anymore I gotta agree with what was said earlier. A newbie asks a question, you give an answer and then if he does not agree with what you said the crap starts to fly.
I learned alot from this board and from the paid site but in the same aspect I am not geting much out of the paid site anymore because it is overwhelmed with little league stuff, writers with less experience calling than me (mainly on the football side). What has happened to the guys like Ed Hickland (on the football side) and a number of the guys (Porter, Emerling) that call High school baseball and above? I do not need Rollie's stories about a check swing or PB and J sandwiches that has pretty much zero point (how bout an article with a respected sports doc to better inform us on staying healthy on a field) or about how big the infield is or some reference on a "Nile Valley League" that no search engine could find squat on. I loved Carl's articles on obstruction, the Davis stance, HHH's game management articles. I don't need someone's editorals about the discussion forum. I want articles on discussions in the forum about rules, game management, or play calling. How bout more articles highly respected officials like the interview with Evans?

[Edited by cowbyfan1 on Sep 15th, 2005 at 06:43 AM]

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.
Old Thu Sep 15, 2005, 02:28pm
Official Forum Member

HUH

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge

Almost no one uses their real name. [posting here at officiating.com]

Peace
Jeff, this is an absurd statement. One of the advantages of this site over places like McGripes, is that many if not most of the major posters can be identified by name. Even when they use a moniker, their names are known. GarthB, for instance, is Garth Benham, Tee is T.Alan Christensen. HHH is Peter Osborne. Besides the above names, let's look at a list of the "Almost No Ones" that you refered to:

Carl Childress
Bob Jenkins
Mick the Moderator
Rich Vietti
Chad Hickey
Sal Giaco...
Rich Ives
Mike Sears
Dale Smith
James Neil
Rich Fronheiser
Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Chuck Elias
J.Rutledge is Jeff Rutledge

I've listed 17 "almost no ones." Care to change your statement? There are at least another 50-100 out there.

Closed Thread