The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Aug 08, 2005, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

In the original question, Largeone is absolutely correct. You ejected him because he told you that your partner can't see. There is no discussion, and I would hope that every umpire here would have done what you did. You didn't eject him because it was an assistant that said it, or because he was outside of the dugout when he said it or whatever. You ejected him because you treat a personal attack on your partner as you would treat a personal attack on yourself. If he told you that you can't see, would you have ejected him? Absolutely. Therefore, you need to do the same when he directs a comment like that about your partner to you.

Good call.
Old Mon Aug 08, 2005, 02:13pm
Official Forum Member

Hmmm, (edit)

I DO NOT eject for the sins (or preceived sins) of my partner.

It is my partners job to clean up his own messes not mine.

As I have stated before I only get involved when I can "make it my business" (*see below).

Umpires will only grow and develop as they learn the "game" as played between coaches/players --VS-- Umpires.

IF my partner ran someone yakking at me there would be long talk in the umpire dressing room (i.e. the back bumper of my car).

* "Making It My Business" = a creative umpire recognizes EVERYTHING that is going on under his sphere of influence.

When a coach is all over my partner I always pay close attention to the words.

As I listen I look for terms such as: "Blue you're horrible . . .", "You buthered that call . . . ", etc.

What I am waiting for is that same coach to error and include me in his comment: "Gees, you guys are killing us!"

That is when I get involved with both feet. This usually means escalatiing the discussion until I make an ejection that is associated with comments made to or about ME.

I support my partner but would never "eject" for my partner . . . he needs to learn to fight his own battles.

--------------

Todd, I am not sure I understand your comment to dumdrum.

I wouldn't let the assitant coach have as much rope as he did . . . I certainly wouldn't call him "Sir,".

My point is the same: assistant coaches do not exist and if they make ANY movement to come on to the field (and not just telling the BR "take two" or giving a little "HumBaby" for the coaches box) they are most likely given the "STOP" sign and told "get off the field you don't exisit!"

If they comne one step closer they are ejected.

[Edited by Tim C on Aug 8th, 2005 at 03:19 PM]
Old Mon Aug 08, 2005, 02:37pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down You're going to get alot more

You talk too much. As others have alluded too.. you put yourself and partner in a bad situation with your overlong dialog with this coach.

Can I appeal?
NO (one word).

You set him, and your partner up.

Coach could have TALKED to partner, but if he is too dumb to know that, it is not up to you to instruct him or get into an editorial discussion.
Old Mon Aug 08, 2005, 02:38pm
Official Forum Member

Tim I agree with you but I'm talking about a situation that is specific to your partner not hearing the coach or player making a comment. I agree 100% that umpires have to fight their own battles. But if you're saying that a coach can walk up to me and say "your partner sucks" and I am supposed to sit there and let him keep walking, then I can't agree at all. And in the original thread, the coach was talking directly to the PU about the BU and he had every right to eject the coach.
Old Mon Aug 08, 2005, 03:08pm
Official Forum Member

Then

We need to disagree . . . if I wasn't smart enough to get the coach into talking about me then I would just walk away.

Can't picture this happening -- but I would not eject for my partner's battle.

T

Pssssst: Here's what I would do:

Coach: "Your partner is TERRIBLE!"

Tee (very loud): "Don't come to me with crap like that . . . if you don't have the GUTS to go out and talk with him then just get off the field!"

And I would then walk away.

t

[Edited by Tim C on Aug 8th, 2005 at 04:12 PM]
Old Mon Aug 08, 2005, 03:20pm
Official Forum Member

Here's where I disagree w/ drumbum's comment: Why give the coach an ultimatum that is confrontational? In a situation that seems to already be going out of control because of idiotic partners, loud fans, and irate coaches, why tell an assistant, one who you're probably going to run anyways, to "get back to the dugout or leave?" I just disagree with being that confrontational at all; we're there to improve the game or at the very least, keep the status quo, not worsen the situation.
Old Mon Aug 08, 2005, 03:50pm
Official Forum Member

Well,

"I just disagree with being that confrontational at all; we're there to improve the game or at the very least, . . ."

With Big Boy ball this statement is naive at best.

T
Old Mon Aug 08, 2005, 04:17pm
Official Forum Member

Sorry, Tim, but I don't agree with your above comments, for to act that way is only going to end up inflaming even more said person.

If a player gets rung up on a good pitch and biatches about it and doesn't get ejected by the plate umpire, that's my plate umpire partner's problem. However, when this player runs onto the field to begin the next inning, for example, and comes to me and emphatically says, "Your partner's a piece of schit," I will eject him.

Yes, they explain this at umpire school, but I didn't have to go to school to learn this.

Yes, someone who says this lacks the guts to tell my partner himself, but he's probably telling me, assuming he cannot get ejected because he's saying this to another umpire and not the one who rung him up. Sorry, but he assumed wrong. I don't look for ejections, but in this case, said player or coach has earned the right to get booted.
Old Mon Aug 08, 2005, 05:19pm
Official Forum Member

Gee,

Let's see . . . I've been to pro school twice (if that Is important) . . . I have only worked 3,705 big boy (tm) games (if that matters) . . . I have ejected 314 players, coaches, trainers, batboys, score keepers, ground crew members and PA announcers (if that matters).

I have never dumped someone for ONLY speaking of my partners errors (preceived). I let my partners handle their own $hit. As I said: I am smart enough to get anyone I want (baited or otherwise).

Do what you want and I'll do the same.

-----

Wasn't it Charlie Reliford that dumped someone just the other night for complaining about the PU when CR was working U2?
Old Mon Aug 08, 2005, 05:21pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Cool

Ump25,

I think Tee is trying to say that he WANTS to inflame the situation so it gets to the point that the manager either turns his attack on him so he can the run the rat b@$t@rd, or convince the manager to grow enough balls to speak directly to his partner so he can run him.

Either way, I think Tee wants this guy to go, but is giving this guy just enough rope to hang himself while not playing
" who's your daddy now " with his partner.

Tim.
Old Mon Aug 08, 2005, 05:57pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Gee,

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim C
Let's see . . . I've been to pro school twice (if that Is important) . . . I have only worked 3,705 big boy (tm) games (if that matters) . . . I have ejected 314 players, coaches, trainers, batboys, score keepers, ground crew members and PA announcers (if that matters).

I have never dumped someone for ONLY speaking of my partners errors (preceived). I let my partners handle their own $hit. As I said: I am smart enough to get anyone I want (baited or otherwise).

Do what you want and I'll do the same.

-----

There's no need to be flashing your credentials. I am familiar with you, Tee. There's no need to flash mine, either. We're both well-respected, well-known umpires. (Pro school twice? Not good enough the first time, eh? Sorry, you opened yourself up to that. I still love ya though.)

Having said that, why do you always consider it an error if your partner rings up a batter? I surely never said it was. Again, if my partner does something normal in the course of his work and a player or coach does something that warrants an ejection but my partner simply didn't hear it, but I did, I'll eject with nary a concern.

BTW, in my meager 28 years of umpiring, I don't have nearly as many ejections as you do. A little trigger happy, are you.
Old Mon Aug 08, 2005, 05:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BigUmp56
Ump25,

I think Tee is trying to say that he WANTS to inflame the situation so it gets to the point that the manager either turns his attack on him so he can the run the rat b@$t@rd, or convince the manager to grow enough balls to speak directly to his partner so he can run him.

Either way, I think Tee wants this guy to go, but is giving this guy just enough rope to hang himself while not playing
" who's your daddy now " with his partner.

Tim.
I understand that, BU, for I've done the same.
Old Mon Aug 08, 2005, 07:30pm
Official Forum Member

Interesting discussion, and something I have never had to encounter because I generally take care of my sh*t and my partner does likewise. I have had players and coaches tell me my partner's call was terrible and I just ignore them, but if he were called a c*cks*k*er to my face I think I would be forced to dump.
Old Mon Aug 08, 2005, 08:02pm
Official Forum Member

Hmmm,

"(Pro school twice? Not good enough the first time, eh? Sorry, you opened yourself up to that. I still love ya though.)"

I would be careful if I was you. I have written an entire column about my expereince and the fact is that both times I went to school I went AFTER telling them I did not want to go on into professional baseball. In fact, my second trip I was invited by Barney a few years after my first trip. :-]

---------------------------------------------------

"BTW, in my meager 28 years of umpiring, I don't have nearly as many ejections as you do. A little trigger happy, are you."

Again I wouldn't go somewhere that you have no idea what type of games I worked or what my talents (?) are.

As HHH calls it I was an "elephant hunter" during most of my career . . . plus one ejection every 10 games never seemed to be too exciting during my prime years.

Of course we didn't have to worry about ruining the physce of a college player.

We also didn't have to have group hugs with other umpires to "get the call right" -- (See my up coming column on this website -- "When gettin' it right, ain't").

I have made it clear what my view of the issue is -- I take care of my own business. I also mentioned HOW I would take care of this issue if I got "tired" of someone chipping at my partner.

-------------------------------------------------

BTW, I have three ejections in the last five years -- sad, I know but rats aren't made outta what theu used to be!!!

Love and Kisses,

T
Old Mon Aug 08, 2005, 10:59pm
Official Forum Member

T, my comments about school were meant to be tongue-in-cheek, especially since your original comment left a door quite wide enough for me to walk through.