View Single Post
Old Thu Jul 28, 2005, 08:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jicecone
Quote:
Originally posted by bossman72
In NFHS, the ball is dead at the end of all playing action when obstruction occurs.

My question is: what happens if a runner that is obstructed is obviously tagged out before he reaches the base you are giving him? What do you signal? A simple safe mechanic? Is there another? What do you say when this happens?

I know in OBR when this happens, the play is dead right there. How do we handle this in NFHS?
Announce "Thats Obstruction" when it happens. Give and hold signal.(delayed dead ball)

Wait to all playing action is over then say "Time, I have obstruction on (defensive player)", and award bases accordingly.

[Edited by jicecone on Jul 27th, 2005 at 10:13 PM]
I would let the situation decide my call. If this is the only runner, manage as in OBR. Call time, and award the base.

If there are multiple runners then I would make the call as is, call the player out and let the play continue.

Of course you have the question of say a runner obstructed going to second and a runner is coming home. What is F4 or F6 throws the ball away?

You can still give the runner the base you think he would have gotten had there been no obstruction - which could be either second or third etc.,

Basically it comes to umpires judgement.

Thanks
David