The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jul 25, 2005, 09:38pm
Official Forum Member

I would love to see just one post where somebody did not think they had to be a smart-a$$ and think they were above everybody else on here. If you want to be a smart-a$$, do it on a thread about "head shots" or when drumbum had his spells
Old Mon Jul 25, 2005, 09:59pm
Official Forum Member

Why Should We!

Dude:

You are a joke . . . that is why we comment as we do.

I just wish that we could talk with administrators in your area to see how "real" umpires go their job in "Eastern Tennessee" . . . I think they would be embarrassed by your posts.
Old Mon Jul 25, 2005, 10:04pm
Official Forum Member

Every single one of my administrators would speak highly of me Tim. Sorry if I'm not as eloquent with my words as you are or my knowledge of the game is not as great as yours. I would gladly speak with you via email or telephone about this (I say this kindly)
Old Mon Jul 25, 2005, 10:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dudeinblue
Sorry if I'm not as eloquent with my words as you are or my knowledge of the game is not as great as yours.
Don't be sorry, be attentative. Don't think you must answer every answer to your questions. You are earning a reputation as a "yeah-butter." Every time someone writes a response to you, you immediately respond with "yeah, but..."

One of the best pieces of advice I ever got about on field discussions works wonders off the field as well. The advice really is an exhortation "No question asked, no response needed." Just think about that for a bit, ie, pause, read, react.
Old Mon Jul 25, 2005, 10:55pm
Official Forum Member

I respect your advice Tony. But it seems as though every response I get is a smart-a$$ response. It's tough not to respond to those with "yeah-buts"
Old Mon Jul 25, 2005, 11:00pm
Official Forum Member

Lightbulb Now we're getting somewhere

Quote:
I respect your advice Tony. But it seems as though every response I get is a smart-a$$ response. It's tough not to respond to those with "yeah-buts"
Yes, it is! Now think about this, if you can't prevent yourself from typing a response to things you think are smart-assed, how are you going to manage situations on the field that require you to be calm, cool, and collected? I know what you are thinking why should I behave if the can't, yes? Now see if you can form a response as to why it is not only fair that I asked you to do that, but also necessary for your growth as an umpire.
Old Mon Jul 25, 2005, 11:10pm
Official Forum Member

You asked me to do that b/c it is the only way that I can learn in a humble manner. It is necessary for my growth as an umpire b/c as you previously stated, how do I expect to handle situations on the field with people being smart-a$$es when I can't do it on a forum. I understand Tony. When I got onto this forum I expected other umpires, like you are, to help me out and teach me, to explain to me the "whys" and "why nots", to quote rules, to politely tell me when I am wrong, etc. So far, I haven't seen this much at all mainly because people like Tim calling me a f-ing idiot and refusing to give me an educated response, but instead a smart-a$$ comment. Surely I'm not the only one that feels this way. Tim is not the only one, basically all of the responses are like this. Nobody wants to hear "Read the rulebook you f-ing idiot". They want to hear what rule and an explanation. I am a student Tony, I don't expect to be degraded, but edified. Thanks alot man
Old Tue Jul 26, 2005, 07:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by justbaseball
Quote:
Originally posted by jicecone

Mother: "Good catch, Joey. Way to Go."

Umpire: "Coach, your out of here."

GET SERIOUS WILL YOU!
Are you that dense that you thought/think they/I were/was talking about this kind of communication? Come on now...you're just picking on something you know wasn't meant.

Was talking about the original problem posted by the thread starter...i.e. signals from the stands. Personally, I think they're wasting their time...but he asked a question and it IS how they enforce it in our area. He didn't ask my opinion of it which you now know.
And that was what I was commenting on. If that is how it is enforced in your area, there are some ego problems there.
Yea, my comment was ridiculus but, that is what happens when people make up ridiculus rules.

"Your not allowed to communicate with the players and coaches." Little Johnnies dad, who happens to be a lawyer and shows up late to watch Johnnie, will have a field day with that.

My point is, there are enough rules in this game that most people don't know about, care about or understand. Making them up, just makes it worse.
Old Tue Jul 26, 2005, 09:46am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to jumpmaster Send a message via MSN to jumpmaster Send a message via Yahoo to jumpmaster
FYI

Quote:
You asked me to do that b/c it is the only way that I can learn in a humble manner. It is necessary for my growth as an umpire b/c as you previously stated, how do I expect to handle situations on the field with people being smart-a$$es when I can't do it on a forum. I understand Tony. When I got onto this forum I expected other umpires, like you are, to help me out and teach me, to explain to me the "whys" and "why nots", to quote rules, to politely tell me when I am wrong, etc. So far, I haven't seen this much at all mainly because people like Tim calling me a f-ing idiot and refusing to give me an educated response, but instead a smart-a$$ comment. Surely I'm not the only one that feels this way. Tim is not the only one, basically all of the responses are like this. Nobody wants to hear "Read the rulebook you f-ing idiot". They want to hear what rule and an explanation. I am a student Tony, I don't expect to be degraded, but edified. Thanks alot man
Dude, Tim (and several others here) is commonly known as a grumpy, old ba$tard. He, like many of the NCAA umpires I know, does not suffer fools gladly. He says things the ways he sees them and if you don't like it, screw you, he doesn't care.

You should take his 'tude with a grain of salt. Bottom line, despite his demeanor, he offers candid, accurate assessments and information. In the 3 years I have been on this board, I have learned a lot about game management and rules interps.

That said - the quickest ways to set yourself up as an idiot is to 1)not know your rulebook and 2)word your posts like dumbdrum.

Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here - CPT John Parker, April 19, 1775, Lexington, Mass
Old Tue Jul 26, 2005, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jicecone And that was what I was commenting on. If that is how it is enforced in your area, there are some ego problems there.
Yea, my comment was ridiculus but, that is what happens when people make up ridiculus rules.

My point is, there are enough rules in this game that most people don't know about, care about or understand. Making them up, just makes it worse.
[/B]
I agree.
Old Sun Jul 31, 2005, 04:03pm
Official Forum Member

Thought of this thread again today as I was at a Pony tournament game, standing down the line. Was shouting things at our players like "charge the ball" and "backup" and "get to the ball quicker." Probably shouldn't be saying anything, but was trying to be supportive and helpful at the same time.

Pony director comes over and threatens to remove me if I keep "coaching" the kids. Pretty silly if you ask me...especially since they don't seem to say anything to a coach or parent berating kids. Priorities misguided IMO.

Anyways, others nearby were commenting on how tired they were of this type of running of tournaments by the directors. Its wearing thin. Let fans be fans.

[Edited by justbaseball on Jul 31st, 2005 at 05:37 PM]
Old Sun Jul 31, 2005, 07:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by justbaseball
Thought of this thread again today as I was at a Pony tournament game, standing down the line. Was shouting things at our players like "charge the ball" and "backup" and "get to the ball quicker." Probably shouldn't be saying anything, but was trying to be supportive and helpful at the same time.

Pony director comes over and threatens to remove me if I keep "coaching" the kids. Pretty silly if you ask me...especially since they don't seem to say anything to a coach or parent berating kids. Priorities misguided IMO.

Anyways, others nearby were commenting on how tired they were of this type of running of tournaments by the directors. Its wearing thin. Let fans be fans.

[Edited by justbaseball on Jul 31st, 2005 at 05:37 PM]
Feel free, as a spectator, to say anything you like, within the confines of normal decency, and I will gladly pay you no attention, as an umpire. If the coach wants you to stop "coaching" that's his business, not mine. The tournament director should be concerned with the spectators who cross the "normal decency" line.
Old Sun Jul 31, 2005, 10:08pm
Official Forum Member

I have no problem with the coach.

Is it indecent to say "back up?" Or "charge the ball?" Just normal things people yell from the stands. The TD needs to stop his power trip. Its very simple. No umpire had ANY problem with ANYTHING I or ANYONE else said. Nothing negative whatsoever.
Old Mon Aug 01, 2005, 09:25am
Official Forum Member

Your TD was out of line.