The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jul 24, 2005, 06:32pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Question

I am curious as to how many of you have called games on a field where the ground rules of the field forbid the use of sunflower seeds by players and coaches.

If you have been in this situation, how did you handle it?

I cannot imagine ejecting someone for non compliance for such a trivial thing, but I have been told to do so if the situation arises.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As umpires, we are the only ones in the world expected to be perfect on our first day on the job, and improve from there!

Tim.
Old Sun Jul 24, 2005, 07:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BigUmp56
I am curious as to how many of you have called games on a field where the ground rules of the field forbid the use of sunflower seeds by players and coaches.

I cannot imagine ejecting someone for non compliance for such a trivial thing, but I have been told to do so if the situation arises.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As umpires, we are the only ones in the world expected to be perfect on our first day on the job, and improve from there!

Tim.
Do you have to check for cups and dirty ears too. Im not being critical of you but, aren't some getting carried away here. Oh well. As far as being perfect, this kind of make us step backwards, not imporving, when we start being the grounds keepers too.
Old Sun Jul 24, 2005, 08:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Tim.
Sounds like a "mouth" rule, not a ground rule, and no, never been to a field where sunflower seeds are forbidden. Why would they be?
Old Sun Jul 24, 2005, 09:21pm
Official Forum Member

i once worked with a smitty who announced at the plate conference that no infielders or pitchers are allowed to chew gum because it is a choking hazard, outfielders are just fine though. sunflower seeds fell under his rule as well.

oh yeah, he had a prostethic right arm with a two piece mechanical claw on the end. i am dead serious.
Old Sun Jul 24, 2005, 10:51pm
Official Forum Member

No sunflower seeds on the field? You're kidding me right? That's like telling MLB players no dipping or chewing...it's just part of the game. And by the way, 2 different people complained at me today for dipping skoal while I umpired, should I respect this?
Old Sun Jul 24, 2005, 10:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DG
Quote:

Tim.
Sounds like a "mouth" rule, not a ground rule, and no, never been to a field where sunflower seeds are forbidden. Why would they be?
I have umpired in a couple of domes where they are forbidden, because unlike on an outdoor field, they don't decompose or get chopped up by the lawn mower.
Old Sun Jul 24, 2005, 10:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dudeinblue
And by the way, 2 different people complained at me today for dipping skoal while I umpired, should I respect this?
Hello Lance, you must be kidding?
Old Sun Jul 24, 2005, 11:01pm
Official Forum Member

Lance? I don't understand the Lance thing. The kids were only 10 years old so that's why I ask if I should respect it b/c it could be a bad example to them. What would you do DG?
Old Sun Jul 24, 2005, 11:19pm
Official Forum Member

Sunflower seeds

I actually work in a relatively new complex where gum and sunflower seeds are prohibited in the dugouts. I couldn't figure it out either, but the only thing that comes to mind is that the dugouts are sunken (like MLB dugouts) and they don't have a cleaning crew between games. I have no idea why as I always thought the gum/seeds were part of the game too.

However, in the little over a year that this place has been open I've never seen anyone eating sunflower seeds (if you're catching my drift.)
Old Sun Jul 24, 2005, 11:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
That's like telling MLB players no dipping or chewing...it's just part of the game.
Yeah....

No one would ever decide that an MLB player can't use tobacco.

Quote:
And by the way, 2 different people complained at me today for dipping skoal while I umpired, should I respect this?
Don't listen to them. Just pull out your flask and take another swig.
Old Sun Jul 24, 2005, 11:28pm
Official Forum Member

Chug-a-Lug

Quote:
Originally posted by LDUB
Quote:
That's like telling MLB players no dipping or chewing...it's just part of the game.
Yeah....

No one would ever decide that an MLB player can't use tobacco.

Quote:
Don't listen to them. Just pull out your flask and take another swig.
Chug-a-lug, chug-a-lug
Makes you want to chew your skoal
Burns your a$$ don't ya know
chug-a-lug, chug-a-lug
Old Mon Jul 25, 2005, 07:48am
M.A.S.H.

Speaking of...

Did anyone else read the story where's there's a shortage of Sunflower seeds this year??? Could that be the reason for the field ban on seeds?!

I would certainly never dip, smoke, or drink while I was on the field. It's a big no-no around here, maybe your area is different.
Old Mon Jul 25, 2005, 08:20am
Official Forum Member

Seeds

I work a couple of fields where they use turf not grass and signs around the field say seeds and gum are prohibited.
probably for the care reasons previously stated

So I personally follow the rules and expect field management/coach to enforce this requiement.
I am there for baseball rules (or football as the case may be)

Quote:

Tim.
[Edited by radwaste50 on Jul 25th, 2005 at 11:30 AM]
Old Mon Jul 25, 2005, 08:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Lance? I don't understand the Lance thing. The kids were only 10 years old so that's why I ask if I should respect it b/c it could be a bad example to them. What would you do DG?
Most youth leagues prohibit tobacco use by anyone associated with the game -- coaches and umpires included.
Old Mon Jul 25, 2005, 09:01am
Official Forum Member

Re: Speaking of...

Quote:
Originally posted by tjones1
Did anyone else read the story where's there's a shortage of Sunflower seeds this year???
Yea, wasn't that in the Antartica Daily News. Something about an short growing season. Interesting piece.