The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jul 22, 2005, 09:41pm
Official Forum Member

Exclamation

I am curious.
I have noticed that along with many good responses to umpires being challenged by coaches - in a variety of situations in previous threads, many umpires state that, in addition, the coach would be ejected immediately for their actions.
I want to know if you REALLY DO eject without any other provocation than " you need to hustle more ", you were out of position on that call, etc.
I want to know if I am being too lenient in allowing a coach one or two comments like that and explaining the situation to him. Am I setting the next umpire up who works after me for the same scenario or worse by allowing him one?
Just trying to improve my habits and not hurt other umpires.

Thanks in advance.
Sheffield Lake, Ohio
Old Fri Jul 22, 2005, 10:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by officialtony
I am curious.
I have noticed that along with many good responses to umpires being challenged by coaches - in a variety of situations in previous threads, many umpires state that, in addition, the coach would be ejected immediately for their actions.
I want to know if you REALLY DO eject without any other provocation than " you need to hustle more ", you were out of position on that call, etc.
I want to know if I am being too lenient in allowing a coach one or two comments like that and explaining the situation to him. Am I setting the next umpire up who works after me for the same scenario or worse by allowing him one?
Just trying to improve my habits and not hurt other umpires.

Thanks in advance.
3 P's and an R will get a coach run, Personal, Profane, Prolonged, and Running at me. Prolonged takes a little time, but personal, profane, and running can be quick. That being said I have not run anybody this year. I did restrict a HS coach for arguing balls and strikes. I ran a player last year for Personal and Profane combined, and it was instantaneous.
Old Fri Jul 22, 2005, 10:09pm
Official Forum Member

Well,

Tony:

There are, like in many other activities, two types umpires:

Those that do and,
Those that don't.

We know that the interent is really only broadband grafitti.

I am sure that we have people that "dump" a lot.

I ejected 312 participants in my first 3,100 games.

Was that a large number? hard to tell. I was an elephant hunter . . . I also, admittedly, had a short fuse.

I can only offer the following answer:

I wrote a column for this webpage, "The Art of Ejection", where I give rules ("let's call them guidelines") on how to handle agreesion on the field.

I have had TWO ejections this year. I had had one in the previous five years. Was I on a short fuse? Hardly, I gave these guys lots and lots of rope.

I am careful when using the ultimate punishment.

I would give you the following answer for my posting brothers.

OLD JOKE:

My doctor told me to give uo half my sex life.

I asked him: "Which half? The half I talk about or the half I dream about."

Believe half of what you read, ignore half of what you read . . . then go back to the original half and ignore half of it.

Old Sat Jul 23, 2005, 12:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DG
Prolonged takes a little time
Well that is the definition of prolonged.
Old Sat Jul 23, 2005, 02:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by LDUB
Quote:
Originally posted by DG
Prolonged takes a little time
Well that is the definition of prolonged.
You pick up on the obvious.
Old Sat Jul 23, 2005, 07:43am
Official Forum Member

I've had my share of ejections in my time. But the more I think about it, the more I see that I defuse situations more than I realized. But the ones that went bye-bye did it to themselves. Other than my first ejection, I've always let the coaches eject themselves.

The usual rules apply - Profananity is not tollerated, getting personal is not tollerated and charging is definatly not allowed. In all but the personal area, I still try to give them a chance to redeem themselves. Getting personal is an insult to me because I give coaches respect at all times - even when I'm telling them "your services are no longer reqired today".

So I guess I'm not really a hard a$$ afterall!
Old Sat Jul 23, 2005, 08:13am
Official Forum Member

Yep,

"I've always let the coaches eject themselves."

Ed Zackerly Ozzy, we are simply reporters of what happens on the field.
Old Sat Jul 23, 2005, 11:23am
Get away from me, Steve.

Re: Yep,

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim C
"I've always let the coaches eject themselves."

Ed Zackerly Ozzy, we are simply reporters of what happens on the field.
Those that tell me I'm out of position or didn't hustle enough (when they don't have a clue about umpire mechanics) or charge at me usually go pretty quickly. That said, after ejecting a lot of people last season, I've only had 2 this year. Could be luck or could be them knowing I'll run them
Old Sat Jul 23, 2005, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

I have the plate at a game tonight that will feature two teams with head coaches I have already tossed this season.

One was ejected for believing the proper way to communicate with me was by yelling across the diamond from his dugout his personal opinion of my ethics. The other was gone for drawing in the dirt after being warned not to.

My partners are betting on a quick exit for one or the other. I'm thinking they will both be on good behavior. We'll see.
Old Sat Jul 23, 2005, 11:03pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to drumbum565
" you need to hustle more ", you were out of position on that call, etc.
-------------------------------------------------

In a situation like this, I would not throw them out but say something along the lines of "Coach sit down (or shut up as the case may be if he is sitting down), I am the umpire and I will decide were its best to call a play from"

I usually don't have to eject people so long as I make it clear early on i don't take any crap. And usually if i said that to a coach he would either get ejected earlier rather than later or he realize he better shut up because he isn't running the show I am.
Old Sat Jul 23, 2005, 11:08pm
Official Forum Member

Spare us, dumbdrum

Go back to Little League and learn about what is really important.
Old Sat Jul 23, 2005, 11:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by drumbum565
he better shut up because he isn't running the show I am.
then call time, hustle from A position to 1B, take the brush out of your ball bag, and let the coach know you run the show as you brush off first base. its a good way to get the point across without anyone else hearing it.
Old Sun Jul 24, 2005, 12:43am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:

In a situation like this, I would not throw them out but say something along the lines of "Coach sit down (or shut up as the case may be if he is sitting down), I am the umpire and I will decide were its best to call a play from"

I usually don't have to eject people so long as I make it clear early on i don't take any crap. And usually if i said that to a coach he would either get ejected earlier rather than later or he realize he better shut up because he isn't running the show I am.
Too much energy. And too much bravado. An ejection is much easier.
Old Sun Jul 24, 2005, 11:12pm
Official Forum Member

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You seem a little power happy Drumbum. As an umpire, you do hav the authority, but earn some respect and don't be a "power happy" umpire that all teams and coaches hate. That's a bad idea
Old Mon Jul 25, 2005, 07:54am
M.A.S.H.

Quote:

It appears to me you just took some crap by allowing the coach to make this type of comment without a penalty. JMO