The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jul 08, 2005, 06:49am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
Just got done reading Peter's article on the paid site. No problem with what he wrote as in a number of ways, how true, how true.

However he blew it with this. In talking about his son raising his soon to be born kid:
Quote:
My son's wife is due to have my first grandchild in September, and I trust that he will follow his own advice. If I may be sexist for a moment, he should have an easier time of it because the new grandkid is a girl.

Obviously Peter does not call softball or girls basketball. I call basketball and parents and coaches are 10 times worst than the boys. Every basketball offical I know would rather call little kids than girls basketball. Softball is just as bad from what I have been told repeatedly. The fact that is "Daddy's little girl" out there is the basis for it on top of the fact that there is such a push to cram womens sports down our throats by the media. Mommy and Daddy think their little girl can make lots of money too. That sooner or later the women will make the same money the men do for a shorter season (see the WNBA season length, only 2 sets in tennis vs 3 for the men, 3 rounds of golf instead of 4 for the men, etc). Now I don't want to seem sexist in that women should not be playing sports. Done right, they can have all the positive that sports bring. But have you seen how empty those WNBA and college basketball areas are? Do you really think they will last? Well maybe they will at the cost of men's sports, at least in the NCAA ranks.

Besides most parents will agree on this, girls are easier young and 10 times harder than boys in the teen years.

1 sentence too many Peter. Great articles otherwise.

[Edited by cowbyfan1 on Jul 8th, 2005 at 07:51 AM]

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.
Old Fri Jul 08, 2005, 07:10am
Official Forum Member

Cool

I DON'T do baksetball ( spelling Humor ).
I do however, do softball, and I will tell you, the parents there have been MUCH better than many of the baseball parents at the high school level. I don't know where you received your input from, but my experience has been as stated herein.
By the way I am a parent of five, and I will disagree with your theory of " 10 times harder . . in the teen years ".
Sheffield Lake, Ohio
Old Fri Jul 08, 2005, 10:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cowbyfan1
Just got done reading Peter's article on the paid site. No problem with what he wrote as in a number of ways, how true, how true.

However he blew it with this. In talking about his son raising his soon to be born kid:
Quote:
My son's wife is due to have my first grandchild in September, and I trust that he will follow his own advice. If I may be sexist for a moment, he should have an easier time of it because the new grandkid is a girl.

Obviously Peter does not call softball or girls basketball. I call basketball and parents and coaches are 10 times worst than the boys. Every basketball offical I know would rather call little kids than girls basketball. Softball is just as bad from what I have been told repeatedly. The fact that is "Daddy's little girl" out there is the basis for it on top of the fact that there is such a push to cram womens sports down our throats by the media. Mommy and Daddy think their little girl can make lots of money too. That sooner or later the women will make the same money the men do for a shorter season (see the WNBA season length, only 2 sets in tennis vs 3 for the men, 3 rounds of golf instead of 4 for the men, etc). Now I don't want to seem sexist in that women should not be playing sports. Done right, they can have all the positive that sports bring. But have you seen how empty those WNBA and college basketball areas are? Do you really think they will last? Well maybe they will at the cost of men's sports, at least in the NCAA ranks.

Besides most parents will agree on this, girls are easier young and 10 times harder than boys in the teen years.

Obviously you don't have a daughter. What a sexist gross generalization bunch of crap. Hey this is America a land of EQUAL OPPORTUNITY. If you don't like don't let the door hit you in the a** on the way out!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Fri Jul 08, 2005, 11:06am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb Oh, my!

Quote:
Obviously Peter does not call softball or girls basketball. I call basketball and parents and coaches are 10 times worst than the boys. Every basketball offical I know would rather call little kids than girls basketball.
Nationally, it is quite typical that boy's high school basketball and girl's high school are called differently. They are different games, not unlike Men's and Women's games in NCAA. Call the H.S. girls' game much tighter, in particular call more contact.
For 7-8 years, D11 Michigan Tech women outdrew the MTU Men in basketball. Winning teams draw fans. Both teams are winning of late.

Quote:
Softball is just as bad from what I have been told repeatedly. The fact that is "Daddy's little girl" out there is the basis for it on top of the fact that there is such a push to cram womens sports down our throats by the media.
In this area, Women's ASA Fastpitch softball is one of the most pleasant diamond games. The athletes are on the field to play well and to win. Cursing, thrown equipment and glares are replaced by shrugs, batters tapping their helmets with their bats, ... and more shrugs. Ejections are unheard of.

mick
Old Fri Jul 08, 2005, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by officialtony
By the way I am a parent of five, and I will disagree with your theory of " 10 times harder . . in the teen years ".
Well, i'd say they're higher maintenance than boys in the teens. I go clothes shopping about once every year and a half or so and 70% of the t-shirts i wear are free.

Girls on the other hand.... well, you know....
Old Sun Jul 10, 2005, 12:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gordon30307
Quote:

Quote:

Obviously you don't have a daughter. What a sexist gross generalization bunch of crap. Hey this is America a land of EQUAL OPPORTUNITY. If you don't like don't let the door hit you in the a** on the way out!!!!!!!!!!!
Gee Gordo, could you be any more wrong??? I have a 21 year old step daughter that I helped my wife raise since she was 11, I have a 19 year old step son and I now have a 22 month old daughter. I also have a neice and nephew and I helped a friend raise his 2 girls for a few years after his divorce. I have a large family on my fathers side and a pretty good sized one on my mom's. I am very much in tune with how all the kids were raised. The girls were collectively 10 times worst to handle than the boys in the teen years.
As far as there sports side of it, there is nothing sexists with what I said. I stated FACT. The only sport out there that the women can outdraw the men is tennis, and that has only happened in the past 10 years and more so since Sampras retired. Women golf, despite Wie and Annika, cannot compete with men's golf. The WNBA has continual mostly empty stadiums, even for playoffs. Womens soccer did have more interest than the men's game, but it is going to drop off the face of the sports map now that most of the women from the Championships team has retired, especially Mia Hamm. Even womens college basketball has poor attendance and ratings for their final 4, especially compared to the men.
Like I said, I do not have a problem with girls playing sports. I'm all for it as I will have my daughter play if she has interests. I will pull her from a team in a heartbeat if it is a win at all cost type setting that Peter outlined in his article. I want her to realize that there is more to sports than just winning. I want her to understand the friendships, teamwork and hard work that comes with it. I would rather her be a star on a 500 team than a star on a winning team were parents and coaches go nuts in a tight game, reguardless if they are winning or not.

Old Sun Jul 10, 2005, 12:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Gee Gordo, could you be any more wrong??? I have a 21 year old step daughter that I helped my wife raise since she was 11, I have a 19 year old step son and I now have a 22 month old daughter. I also have a neice and nephew and I helped a friend raise his 2 girls for a few years after his divorce. I have a large family on my fathers side and a pretty good sized one on my mom's. I am very much in tune with how all the kids were raised. The girls were collectively 10 times worst to handle than the boys in the teen years.
As far as there sports side of it, there is nothing sexists with what I said. I stated FACT. The only sport out there that the women can outdraw the men is tennis, and that has only happened in the past 10 years and more so since Sampras retired. Women golf, despite Wie and Annika, cannot compete with men's golf. The WNBA has continual mostly empty stadiums, even for playoffs. Womens soccer did have more interest than the men's game, but it is going to drop off the face of the sports map now that most of the women from the Championships team has retired, especially Mia Hamm. Even womens college basketball has poor attendance and ratings for their final 4, especially compared to the men.
Like I said, I do not have a problem with girls playing sports. I'm all for it as I will have my daughter play if she has interests. I will pull her from a team in a heartbeat if it is a win at all cost type setting that Peter outlined in his article. I want her to realize that there is more to sports than just winning. I want her to understand the friendships, teamwork and hard work that comes with it. I would rather her be a star on a 500 team than a star on a winning team were parents and coaches go nuts in a tight game, reguardless if they are winning or not.
What's your point? If you're making one I don't see it?
Old Sun Jul 10, 2005, 01:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

What's your point? If you're making one I don't see it?

Obviously you missed them.

Old Sun Jul 10, 2005, 08:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Quote:

It might take more than a few years for the pay to parallel, as the golf and tennis are still far apart. I suppose they reflect the number of fans in the stands.
Old Sun Jul 10, 2005, 10:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisSportsFan
It might take more than a few years for the pay to parallel, as the golf and tennis are still far apart. I suppose they reflect the number of fans in the stands. [/B]
I was watching a golf show the other day and they had an interesting stat. 15 years ago the ratio of payout on the average PGA event to an average LPGA event was 2.5 to 1. Now it is 6 to 1. Golf is not getting closer, if that stat was correct.

[Edited by DG on Jul 10th, 2005 at 11:18 AM]
Old Sun Jul 10, 2005, 11:17am
Official Forum Member

Hahahaha,

"It might take more than a few years for the pay to parallel . . . "

Not a chance.

Any Professional League or Association that has the words "women's" or "ladies" in the title is lying to the public.

The LPGA is going backwards in terms of acceptance, the WBA is a drain on the NBA owners, the female version of Professional tennis has run head long into the "Tiger Syndrom" --

They will never reach an equal status as there is just too much competition for the sports viewing dollar.

The true version of "equality" is more likely reached at the lowest levels (Little League, etc.) where fewer and fewer boys are participating and those spots are being filled by girls that desire the same level of competition.

While there will always be the Sheryl Swopes's, Michelle Wie's and the Williams's sisters types . . . sadly, women's sports will never become equal to men's.

Ask Jimmy the Greek.
Old Sun Jul 10, 2005, 11:34am
Official Forum Member

Awwwww my "male chauvinistic joke of the day" post got "moderated"! Blah! Well, I just thought you guys would have a sense of humor about it.
Old Mon Jul 11, 2005, 11:24am
Official Forum Member

Well, I laughed at it, but my laugh was "moderated" also

Philosophy Point: If a joke on the 'Net gets Moderated, and no one read it, was it still funny?