The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jul 03, 2005, 11:24pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Good evening,

OBR interp please, HS level Babe Ruth Baseball (Note: Babe Ruth uses modified OBR, no modifications matter here):

Right-handed batter has whole body in batters box, gets hits on right elbow. He did not do much to get out of the way. I judged he got frozen on the pitch, sent him to 1B. Manager comes screming out with rule book in hand pointing to OBR 6.08, i.e. batter must try to get out of the way of a pitch (like the FED rule)

BRD is rather confusing on this, CR saying that 2005 FED point of emphasis on this sounds like it's leaning to NCAA interp., saying that if everything is inside the batter's box, it's the pitcher's fault (p. 66 situation #80).

When I went to pro school in the stone age we were taught that if it hits a batter and he is not trying to lean over the plate he goes to 1B. In all the years I've OBR level baseball I have never seen a batter kept at home for not avoiding a pitch. In all the years I have watched OBR on TV, I have never seen 6.08 called as in the rule book.

Am I incompetent now and missed a change in the interpretation of this rule? Does OBR now want things ruled like FED? Has anyone in OBR rules baseball kept a kid who got hit at home?

I am looking forward to my education. Thanks.

Old Sun Jul 03, 2005, 11:58pm
Official Forum Member

hope this helps

Look at 'Batter Avoid Bad Pitch' at bottom of page, or go here: http://www.officialforum.com/thread/20999
Old Mon Jul 04, 2005, 12:16am
Official Forum Member

You already know that the call is rare to keep a batter in the box who was hit by a pitch. The only time I keep a batter in the box, FED or OBR, is if he clearly made a move to get hit by a pitch. I had a game last year where the same player moved his leg into a pitch on two consecutive at bats. The second time I said "I don't believe you did that again". He stayed in the box both times. His coach put up a mild argument both times.

Side note - I don't think anybody wants to intentionally get hit on a bone (ie elbow).

Old Mon Jul 04, 2005, 06:39am
Official Forum Member

I view staying in the box and taking a pitch a safety issue. I don't want kids learning that they can take getting hit by pitches as an acceptable and normal means to get to 1B. The next thing you know, a kid thinks he's superman, takes a pitch and ends up in some serious pain, if not worse.

I expect at least a novel attempt to avoid the pitch. Whenever I, without a doubt, believe the batter intentionally took a pitch without moving (and they usually don't even move after being hit), the batter is awarded a ball/strike (depending on pitch location). If I beleive the batter was "frozen" or makes that novel attempt to avoid the pitch, they will get 1B.

Since the pro's are being paid to play, let them make the decision on whether to get hit or not. I don't necessarily agree with NCAA allowing it (safety issue again), but these guys are adults, have some level of skill and should be able to make reasonable decisions... or at least be accountable for them.
Old Mon Jul 04, 2005, 07:13am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to NFump
First off, coach is gone for bringing that rule book on the field. Secondly, I have kept them in the box after getting hit if I judged they made no attempt to move or they moved but into the pitch. Bottom line, this is umpire judgement, if you judged a legitimate HBP then send him to 1st.
Old Mon Jul 04, 2005, 07:48am
Official Forum Member

It is rare, but not unheard of, even at the MLB level.
Old Mon Jul 04, 2005, 10:44am
Official Forum Member

Yes, I know

I understand as well as you that letting an coach with a rule book on the field is pulling the pin on a hand grenade and giving it to him. However, in this case he had it with him when he came out. He obviously was waiting for a call on the rule so he could hit some umpire on the head with it.

I mishandled the situation in one or two other ways as well, but that is beyond the scope of this discussion.
Old Mon Jul 04, 2005, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

When

Dave,

I have never seen it called on the MLB level. When is the last time you saw it?
Old Mon Jul 04, 2005, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

It may have been a year or two. As I recall I saw an ESPN highlight where someone was kept in the box, with the speculation being the umpire was reacting to the fact that the batter was all armored up and had been crowding the plate pretty aggressively, and then didn't move a muscle when hit.
Old Mon Jul 04, 2005, 11:12am
Official Forum Member

Angry

PULLEEEEZE tell me you EJed this manager!

I mean, I don't know what "screming" is.. but it sounds bad. Actually, if he took that rool book out and waved, pointed, presented, or showed it.. He's gone. Right?

And your call was right. Sometimes players get "frozen", can't react, get fooled.

Quote:
Originally posted by jkumpire
Manager comes screming out with rule book in hand pointing to OBR 6.08,

Old Mon Jul 04, 2005, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

So how do you tell the difference between a player who does not move a muscle because he is "frozen" or "fooled" and one who does not move intentionally?
Old Mon Jul 04, 2005, 11:59am
Official Forum Member

Re: When

It happened just this year. It was talked about on the board afterwards. I wish I could remember the game, but I believe the player may have even moved into the pitcher.

Quote:
Originally posted by jkumpire
Dave,

I have never seen it called on the MLB level. When is the last time you saw it?
Well I am certainly wiser than this man. It is only too likely that neither of us has any knowledge to boast of; but he thinks that he knows something which he does not know, whereas I am quite conscious of my ignorance. At any rate it seems that I am wiser than he is to this small extent, that I do not think that I know what I do not know. ~Socrates
Old Mon Jul 04, 2005, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

No Mike I Didn't

I didn't eject him becuase he is a good friend of mine who I repect a lot as a gentleman, and because he really doesn't know how deal with umpires. Is that bad umpiring practice? Yes it is, but in this case it doesn't matter to me. There are times where friendship comes before proper mechanics. I was trying to educate a friend who needed to learn something.

Is that consistent? No. Should you do what I did last night? No. Would I do it with any other person I have ever met in baseball? No. I made an exception because I thought I could trust him to have a calm conversation about it.

I've had my share of ejections with coaches and managers being stupid and bringing a rulebook out. It was not worth losing a
friendship over it. The conversation will continue privately between the two of us.

I still have not had my question answered totally yet, so let me rephrase it: Does OBR intrepret this rule differently than FED? My understanding is that it does. If our good friend Mr. Childress is right and OBR is treated the same as FED in this case, than I have to change my understanding of the rule.

Thank you for your kind responses.

[Edited by jkumpire on Jul 4th, 2005 at 01:15 PM]
Old Mon Jul 04, 2005, 12:24pm
Official Forum Member

Well,

We know the NCAA rule states a batter need not attempt to avoid if the ball hits him and he is clearly in the batter's box.

One of the FED "projected" changes for next year . . . the committee will vote soon . . . will take the NFHS ruling into a mirror position with NCAA.

So, if you are one that wants to force a batter to avoid (even if he is in the batter's box) for safety reasons your argument is losing steam. FED is the most safety lead group of people that administer big boy ball.

John, I don't know how to tell you an answer about the specific call. I always award when a batter is hit and it occurs in the batter's box . . . I just mark it up to "freezing" . . .

You already understand the rest of the issues in your post that everyone is hitting you over the head over . . .
Old Mon Jul 04, 2005, 12:31pm
Official Forum Member

Oh well

Tee,

You know by now what kind of umpire I am, so you know what my feelings about the play are (he gets 1B, no doubt).

As to my handling of the coach, I made it clear why I did what I did, and think that explaination should satisfy those who disagree with my handling of it. If it was anyone else, he's dumped very, very quickly.