The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jul 02, 2005, 09:50am
Official Forum Member

Question

Runner on 2nd. After a pitch, the catcher's throwback to the pitcher hits the bat, sitting on batter's shoulder, and the ball scoots away. Runner advances to 3rd. My partners said kill it and send the runner back to 2nd. I said play on. Who's right?

Is it a judgement call? What if the batter hits the ball on purpose to move a runner up? Are you calling either the batter or runner out for interference?
Old Sat Jul 02, 2005, 10:01am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to umpduck11

Your partner was correct.Kill it,and send the runner
back. In the case of the batter doing it intentionally,
I've got interference, and with less than two out,the
runner is out.With two out, the batter is out.
In his book "The Usual Suspects",Carl Childress
addressed this very issue: "If the batter inadvertently
hinders the catcher as he is returning the ball to the
mound,he is not out unless the umpire judges the interference was intentional."
Hope this helps.
Old Sat Jul 02, 2005, 10:39am
Official Forum Member

So,

I have a question:

We know if a runner is stealing third and the catcher's throw hits the bat of the hitter in the box (who has done nothing intentional) that is "tough nuggies" as the batter does not have to disappear,

So if F2 throws a ball back to F1 how would we know if it was actually just a "toss back" or if F2 was trying to pick R2 off,

So my question is:

Why is there an apparent difference in a "play " by F2 or simply a "return throw" by F2 and the resulting play is handled differently?
Old Sat Jul 02, 2005, 10:49am
Prince

Thumbs down no interference here

Why kill it if there was no interference? This ball is alive if the batter did not step out of the batter's box and the PU has judged that the batter did not intentionally interfere with the return throw by the catcher. If the batter DID intentionally interfer with the relaxed throw back to the pitcher, then we have interference, kill the ball, call the batter out for interference under OBR 6.0-6(c), and return all runners to their TOP base. However, if the batter stepped out of the box and interfered unintentionally, then he's not out, but still kill the ball and return all runners to their TOP bases.

Leo
Old Sat Jul 02, 2005, 01:34pm
Official Forum Member

Re: So,

If F2 was playing on the runner, he would come up quick and fire the ball to second. Contrast that with the relaxed action of throwing the ball back to the pitcher and the difference is obvious, as I'm sure you probably know.

To answer you question, J/R lists four ways in which the batter can interfere with the catcher (pg 91 B. & OBR 6.06c). If the batter interferes, he interferes. If it is interference with a play, the batter is out (exceptions not withstanding). If the batter interferes with a return throw, no play is being made so no penalty is necessary. But the defense cannot be put at a disadvantage either so the ball is dead and runners return to their TOP base.

Just as the batter doesn't have to disappear on a play (assuming no interference), nor does he have to on a return throw. Both are handled the same, the ball is live and runners advance at their own peril.

I think you probably knew all this, but it was fun looking it up and explaining it anyways.

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim C
I have a question:

We know if a runner is stealing third and the catcher's throw hits the bat of the hitter in the box (who has done nothing intentional) that is "tough nuggies" as the batter does not have to disappear,

So if F2 throws a ball back to F1 how would we know if it was actually just a "toss back" or if F2 was trying to pick R2 off,

So my question is:

Why is there an apparent difference in a "play " by F2 or simply a "return throw" by F2 and the resulting play is handled differently?
Well I am certainly wiser than this man. It is only too likely that neither of us has any knowledge to boast of; but he thinks that he knows something which he does not know, whereas I am quite conscious of my ignorance. At any rate it seems that I am wiser than he is to this small extent, that I do not think that I know what I do not know. ~Socrates
Old Sat Jul 02, 2005, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

"Interference without a play" is a good example of baseball actually recognizing the advantage/disadvantage theory used in other sports. Perhaps this type of logic could have been used in that NCAA balk example. As with the interference without a play, no disadvantage to the defense, no "real" penalty.

Just something to think about...
Well I am certainly wiser than this man. It is only too likely that neither of us has any knowledge to boast of; but he thinks that he knows something which he does not know, whereas I am quite conscious of my ignorance. At any rate it seems that I am wiser than he is to this small extent, that I do not think that I know what I do not know. ~Socrates
Old Sat Jul 02, 2005, 05:29pm
Official Forum Member

Let me ask this - if F2 throws the ball back to F1 and the throw is wild, are we killing the ball?

So why, if F2's throw hit's the bat shouldered by B1, are we killing the ball? Is this some new LL rule or just "creative umpiring"?

Maybe we should grant TIME for F1 to throw the ball back to F2 now!
Old Sat Jul 02, 2005, 05:36pm
Prince

Question What?

Read Kalix's and my posts again...
Old Sun Jul 03, 2005, 09:24am
Official Forum Member

Umm, ozzy, did you read my post???

If the BR doesn't interfere, a return throw that hits the BR bat is alive and in play (J/R pg 94 ex. 2).

Quote:
Originally posted by ozzy6900
Let me ask this - if F2 throws the ball back to F1 and the throw is wild, are we killing the ball?

So why, if F2's throw hit's the bat shouldered by B1, are we killing the ball? Is this some new LL rule or just "creative umpiring"?

Maybe we should grant TIME for F1 to throw the ball back to F2 now!
Old Sun Jul 03, 2005, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Kaliix
Hey, I was just throwing my two cents on the origional post. I was not responding to you or Prince!
Old Sun Jul 03, 2005, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

Well sorry to have assumed that, but you didn't make any reference to the original post and posted right after my post.

A simple misunderstanding then...

Quote:
Originally posted by ozzy6900
Quote:
Originally posted by Kaliix
Hey, I was just throwing my two cents on the origional post. I was not responding to you or Prince!
Old Sun Jul 03, 2005, 03:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I have a question:

So my question is:

In both instances, if B1 is "just standing there," there's no difference in the plays -- the ball is live and in play.

See NAPBL 4.12
Old Sun Jul 03, 2005, 04:20pm
Official Forum Member

Finally,

We are now getting to the gist of my question.

Rather than answering I wanted to see where my question would take us.

Now Mr. Jenkins is getting to the place that I would have first answered.

Now, again I ask:

Is there a difference in how the play is handled?

There is not and there is no reason I can find to return any runners.

So what am I missing . . . why are some wanting to return runners TOP?

I am just confused . . . must be a user error, huh?
Old Sun Jul 03, 2005, 06:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
So my question is:

J/R's "interference without a play" distinquishes between a resulting play and a return toss, but it does so when it is the batter's action that interrupts play. There is no referenced, in this regard, in j/r that covers anything but the batter's action.

j/r 9th Ed. page 94 ex 2 is close to the original post..."the batter has not interferred, so the ball remains alive".
Old Sun Jul 03, 2005, 09:10pm
Official Forum Member

Well,

I guess it is time to make a stand:

When the return throw happens, no matter when, if the action of the ball hitting the bat of the hitter is not affected by an intentional movement of that hitter:

It is simply a "Play On!" issue . . .

No runners are ever returned.

Just my view . . . take your shots!