The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jun 23, 2005, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

I was doing a 14 year-old tournament this last weekend.

1st game, early in the day, R2 leads off. F1 tries a pick-off, and the ball sails into center. R2 heads for 3rd where he's gunned down by F8.

Late in the day (my 3rd game), I have this team again. R2 leads off. F1 tries a pick-off, and the ball sails into center. R2 heads for 3rd where he's gunned down by F8.

Deja vu?

After the 2nd time, it was looking like this was a planned play.

I called nothing but the out at 3rd both times.

If you saw this multiple times in a game would you let it go? Would you call a balk?
Old Thu Jun 23, 2005, 11:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tornado

1st game, early in the day, R2 leads off. F1 tries a pick-off, and the ball sails into center. R2 heads for 3rd where he's gunned down by F8.

Late in the day (my 3rd game), I have this team again. R2 leads off. F1 tries a pick-off, and the ball sails into center. R2 heads for 3rd where he's gunned down by F8.

Deja vu?

If you saw this multiple times in a game would you let it go? Would you call a balk?
Why would you call it a balk?
Old Thu Jun 23, 2005, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

On what grounds would you balk this?

Did the pitcher throw to an unoccupied base? Nope
Did the pitcher use any illegal footwork or do anything illegal with his hands? Not according to your post.

It sounds like they have a kid with a gun in center, and run this play all the time. There's nothing to balk here.

You got it right, good call.
Old Thu Jun 23, 2005, 11:32am
Official Forum Member

After these plays, I'm two outs closer to going home. The pitcher has thrown towards second base, the feilder failed to get it. Coach of the offense is going to have a hard time convincing me otherwise. As long as the throw is to second and not a rainbow to F8, I've got outs.

-Josh
Old Thu Jun 23, 2005, 11:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Deja vu?

Play 1 - Good play
Play 2 - Good play.

If I saw it 100 times in a game, there is no way it is even slightly associated with a balk.

What in the world, would make you think this is a balk?
Old Thu Jun 23, 2005, 11:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by U_of_I_Blue
As long as the throw is to second and not a rainbow to F8, I've got outs.

-Josh
Why would the quality of the throw change anything? I don't care if he throws to the center field fence, it's still not a balk.
Old Thu Jun 23, 2005, 11:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by U_of_I_Blue
After these plays, I'm two outs closer to going home. The pitcher has thrown towards second base, the feilder failed to get it. Coach of the offense is going to have a hard time convincing me otherwise. As long as the throw is to second and not a rainbow to F8, I've got outs.

-Josh
And what if it is a rainbow to F8, F7 or even F9?
Old Thu Jun 23, 2005, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

After thinking about these plays for a couple of days, I started to 2nd guess myself. I was thinking that F1 wasn't throwing to 2nd base, he's throwing to center field.

Thanks for your input.
Old Thu Jun 23, 2005, 11:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
After thinking about these plays for a couple of days, I started to 2nd guess myself. I was thinking that F1 wasn't throwing to 2nd base, he's throwing to center field.

Thanks for your input.
And what if he was?
Old Thu Jun 23, 2005, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

tornado,

He's not required to throw to 2B - only to step to 2B (i.e. more to 2B than 1B or 3B). As long as he completes the step, he is perfectly legal in throwing the ball to F8 (or F7 or F9 for that matter).

JM
Old Thu Jun 23, 2005, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CoachJM
tornado,

He's not required to throw to 2B - only to step to 2B (i.e. more to 2B than 1B or 3B). As long as he completes the step, he is perfectly legal in throwing the ball to F8 (or F7 or F9 for that matter).

JM
Then what would be the difference if the pitcher stepped to second and threw to F6 (playing deep in shallow left center)?
Old Thu Jun 23, 2005, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

"8.05(d) The pitcher, while touching his plate, throws, or feints a throw to an unoccupied base, except for the purpose of making a play."

If the pitcher can't throw to an unoccupied base, why can he throw a ball into center field if that is clearly his intention? That's why I included the part about a rainbow throw to the centerfielder. I'm not an expert by any means so maybe I shouldn't be looking at it like this, but that's how my mind was working. Please let me know if I need to think another direction.

-Josh
Old Thu Jun 23, 2005, 12:19pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to TBBlue
Quote:
Originally posted by Matthew F
Quote:
Originally posted by CoachJM
tornado,

JM
Then what would be the difference if the pitcher stepped to second and threw to F6 (playing deep in shallow left center)?
Nothing. Better be awake, runner.
Old Thu Jun 23, 2005, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

Matthew F. & U of I Blue,

The pitcher is allowed to feint to an occupied 2B. As long as he completes the step legally (the step is required for an "in contact" pitcher - else, balk), he may throw the ball (or not) wherever he wishes.

JM
Old Thu Jun 23, 2005, 12:24pm
Official Forum Member

Duh

My fault on that. I was forgetting about the pitcher being in contact with the plate. Once he completes his feint towards second and comes off the plate, he can do whatever he wishes. My bad for not thinking it through fully before posting.

-Josh