The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jun 19, 2005, 12:43pm
Official Forum Member

I would like to ask you to help me with a rule:

Batter hits the ball, runs to 1st base. Safely steps on base and then turns to the left, and walks back to 1st base.

IF he is touched with the ball, is he out? Is it the opion of the umpire to determine if he has made an attempt to go to 2nd?

Is it good coaching to have the runner always turn to the right (towards foul teritory) so the umpire does not have to make a determination?

Thanks on ALL accounts for your help.

Old Sun Jun 19, 2005, 01:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sm_bbcoach
Is it the opion of the umpire to determine if he has made an attempt to go to 2nd?

Yes, exactly. Turning left does not mean he attempted to go to second, meaning he cannot be tagged out.

You might also find this link useful:

http://eteamz.active.com/baseball/rules/myths/index.cfm
Old Sun Jun 19, 2005, 02:18pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to drumbum565
Arrow

I agree but I thin it is actually bad coaching to have them turn right because you have the possibility of a ball hit to the fence in which you could get a triple on but the get tagged out at second cause they went the wrong way I’ve witnessed even in the younger leagues the prohibit stealing the coaches will teach there kids to turn bases and as far as an umpiring judging if he’s going to second that’s a call that if it would go one way or the other depending on his judgment it would end up with a coach getting thrown out good old 10-1-4
Old Sun Jun 19, 2005, 07:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by drumbum565
I agree but I thin it is actually bad coaching to have them turn right because you have the possibility of a ball hit to the fence in which you could get a triple on but the get tagged out at second cause they went the wrong way
I know what you mean.

Just yesterday the BR ran the bases clockwise (he ran to third first). Running the bases does get pretty confusing.

[Edited by LDUB on Jun 19th, 2005 at 10:56 PM]
Old Sun Jun 19, 2005, 08:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sm_bbcoach
I would like to ask you to help me with a rule:

Batter hits the ball, runs to 1st base. Safely steps on base and then turns to the left, and walks back to 1st base.

IF he is touched with the ball, is he out? Is it the opion of the umpire to determine if he has made an attempt to go to 2nd?

Is it good coaching to have the runner always turn to the right (towards foul teritory) so the umpire does not have to make a determination?

Thanks on ALL accounts for your help.

If he makes no attempt to advance hie is not out if tagged. Yes, it is the opinion of the umpire. He can turn to the right and still make an attempt after the turn, so I don't think it matters. It is good coaching to tell the runner to run through the bag and not make an attempt unless the 1B coach says GO.

I had one last night, BR runs down the line, ball gets by 1B man, coach says GO, he turns toward 2B plants his foot and it shoots out from under him on the wet grass and he goes straight down on top the 1B line. He casually gets up, walks back toward 1B, 1B man gets within 2 feet of him with the ball and does not try to tag him. I got an out if he does, because he tried to plant and turn, but slipped and fell. It's my opinion that he would be out if tagged.