The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 24, 2005, 05:46pm
M.A.S.H.

Any word on if Jerry is ok? He worked the plate last night in St. Louis and left in the 6th with back spasms.
Old Tue May 24, 2005, 06:37pm
Official Forum Member

5 mg cyclobenzaprine and 800 mg ibuprofen.

That's what the rest of us use. Maybe I'm not sufficiently sensitive but I can't imagine that his spasms are any worse or any more cause for concern just because he is a major league umpire.
Old Wed May 25, 2005, 11:43am
Official Forum Member

He was back out there last night.........The only point I found interesting was who replaced him at the plate...I believe it was Cuzzi who came in from 2nd to cover the dish. I guess he had the most rest in the crew.....

Old Wed May 25, 2005, 01:14pm
LeftyRef

I believe it is standard procedure for the second base umpire to take over the dish if someone is hurt. Remember last year when Marty Foster got hit with the pitch? I believe the second base umpire donned the gear for the rest of the game.
Old Wed May 25, 2005, 01:23pm
Official Forum Member

that would make sense, since first has the plate the next night and third had it the night before.....leaving 2nd with the most rest in between plates.....
Old Wed May 25, 2005, 07:06pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Lefty's right....it used to be that the guy at first would take over and not work the next day, but now the man at second comes in to take over. This is probably done to make it a little more easy to work the three-man system than for rest purposes. Leaving Rapuano at first and Bucknor at third is easier than bringing Ed in and rotating Phil over to first. I'm assuming and hoping that makes sense :-D