The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 24, 2005, 05:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by danreeves1973
These shots that are bending masks....I'm assuming they're two bar masks right?

You get hit and it bends a four bar, you're gonna be hurting, if still concious.
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Single bar honigs, hollow tube.....got an ear extension broken off at the weld also......
Old Tue May 24, 2005, 07:10pm
Official Forum Member

I have the Easton Stealth, it is the first year that I have used it. I was not sure if I would like the helmet, but now I will never go back to a standard mask. It has a leather chin pad and the lining is made of a cloth material over the gel padding. I have taken a couple of shots to the helmet and did not feel a thing.

I would recommend this helmet to anyone.
Old Tue May 24, 2005, 09:30pm
Official Forum Member

Re: hockey masks are great

Quote:
Originally posted by Kaliix
the addtional peripheral view makes it feel like you can see everything.
[/B][/QUOTE]

Quote:
Originally posted by Strike3UROUT
peripherial vision is SO MUCH BETTER than the mask.
So what? Why do I need to see sideways? In my standard mask I can see both of the base coaches, what else is there to see? I find no value of better peripheral vision at all.
Old Tue May 24, 2005, 10:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
Quote:
Rich,
Could you elaborate on what makes the Diamond hockey style mask a clear step up from the All-Star? I'd be curious to hear your opinions.

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
Quote:
Originally posted by danreeves1973
I looked on Ebay yesterday, saw no masks on there, but shopped around, found the All-Stat you mentioned. Has anyone looked at the one Itech makes or the one Easton makes. Partner last night was discussing it, he's looking at the Easton, but wants to get some more opinions on it if he can.
I bought the Diamond from Gerry Davis. A clear step up from the All-Star, as I used to have one of those as well. And only $89 new.
I find the inside padding to be better, including the chin-piece. I also find the fit to be better. On top of that the neck guard is longer.

I was at a MLB game in Cincinnati last week. Bill Welke was on the plate wearing a helmet.....with a hat underneath. Looked to be at LEAST a four-stitch hat, not one of those Ed Montague beanie hats. I've been practicing getting the helmet off over a hat, because I find I sweat too much from the head to be terribly comfortable without a hat on. I do't vare about the appearance aspect -- I just don't want sweat running down my head in July.

It can be done -- I find though I have to use two hands to take the helmet off and I have to remove it from the back. Even an eight-stitch hat (which is all I own -- even when I wear a traditional mask I use an eight-stitch) will fit comfortably under this helmet, it's just very difficult to get the helmet off quickly over it.
Under Armour makes a thin toboggan style cap. Just a thought.
Old Tue May 24, 2005, 10:14pm
Official Forum Member

A couple weeks ago, I took two direct hits on my Honigs single bar light weight mask in a HS 4A game. Both were fastballs. One was fouled straight back to my mask. It jumped completely off my head and landed at my feet. I looked down at it and said "FOUL" real loud. The next one was not touched, by batter or catcher, it went straight from pitcher's hand to my mask, and I was locked in so I saw it all the way to the mask. It knocked it completely off my head also and as I reached down to pick it up I asked the catcher if that was the best he could do. He said it was curveball and I told him he might have been expecting a curve ball but that one did not curve. It was a very good 2-1 game in 1 hour and 20 minutes. Neither of these shots to the mask hurt much. I am sstisfied with my Honigs single bar. Actually, I have two of them, one is a red bar I use when wearing the dark blue shirt with red trim and the other is black bar I use with the powder blue or cream shirt. Both have doeskin pads.
Old Wed May 25, 2005, 09:24am
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: hockey masks are great

The value of the extra peripheral vision is that it makes the mask FEEL like the view is wider/better/more open.

If you've tried one on and it doesn't feel better to you, stick to your original mask. If you've never tried one on, then reserve comment until you do. To me, and everyone who I've talked to that owns a hockey style mask, the view is better.

IMHO. Your mileage may vary...

Quote:
Originally posted by LDUB
Quote:
the addtional peripheral view makes it feel like you can see everything.
Quote:
Originally posted by Strike3UROUT
peripherial vision is SO MUCH BETTER than the mask.
So what? Why do I need to see sideways? In my standard mask I can see both of the base coaches, what else is there to see? I find no value of better peripheral vision at all. [/B][/QUOTE]

[Edited by Kaliix on May 25th, 2005 at 02:47 PM]
Well I am certainly wiser than this man. It is only too likely that neither of us has any knowledge to boast of; but he thinks that he knows something which he does not know, whereas I am quite conscious of my ignorance. At any rate it seems that I am wiser than he is to this small extent, that I do not think that I know what I do not know. ~Socrates
Old Wed May 25, 2005, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

Do any of you wear glasses. How is getting the helmet off with glasses on and what brand of helmet do you use?
Old Wed May 25, 2005, 01:47pm
Official Forum Member

I wear glasses every game. No problems at all getting the helmet off with them on. It is no harder than with a mask.

Another thing I like about the hocket style mask is that I can put it on with one hand!

Quote:
Originally posted by my3sons
Do any of you wear glasses. How is getting the helmet off with glasses on and what brand of helmet do you use?
Well I am certainly wiser than this man. It is only too likely that neither of us has any knowledge to boast of; but he thinks that he knows something which he does not know, whereas I am quite conscious of my ignorance. At any rate it seems that I am wiser than he is to this small extent, that I do not think that I know what I do not know. ~Socrates
Old Wed May 25, 2005, 05:40pm
Official Forum Member

I LOVE my MVP2200. I have been using it for 3 years and plan on not going back any time soon. The mask has taken several hits and looks and performs just as well as it did the day I got it. I have, on bright days, worn Oakleys under the mask and have had no problems with removing the mask.
Old Thu May 26, 2005, 05:55am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
same here. Will not go back to a mask. Wore one my first year calling and had 5th graders ringing my bell. First game I called in HS took a shot solid to the steel cage of the helmet. Bent a bar a little, but I did not feel a thing. I carry a small towel in my second bag to help with sweat on very hot days but I am looking at trying the new underarmor hat.

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.
Old Fri May 27, 2005, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to BBUMP99
Quote:
Originally posted by my3sons

I umpire spring/summer ball. I wear a Pro Nine helmet. Great helmet. Very Light and can hardly feel contact from fouls. Early games I always wear sunglasses. I've never had a problem getting my helmet off w/sunglasses underneath.
Old Fri May 27, 2005, 02:29pm
Official Forum Member

MVP 2200AL

I received one for Christmas (i.e., my wife allowed me to buy one), and now I'll never go back to a mask.

I was asked to fill in at a PONY game (youngest division, don't know the terminology) last month, so I decided to use my old mask. After ten minutes I had a headache from the unbalanced weight distribution offered by that old mask.

This factor, IMHO, is the single most important advantage that a helmet has over a mask. A helmet distributes its weight over your entire head, whereas a mask's weight is only on the front of your face.