The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 13, 2005, 11:32am
Official Forum Member

Question

I'm just trolling for opinions from anyone who is/has used the Gerry Davis mechanics behind the plate.
Old Fri May 13, 2005, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Carbide Keyman
I'm just trolling for opinions from anyone who is/has used the Gerry Davis mechanics behind the plate.
I started using it mid-season because back and knees were sore. I formerly used heel to toe in the slot. So far I like it just fine, not as tiring. I have been hit some but I don't think any more than usual. It is also a rock solid stance which is good for tracking pitches. Last week I took a fast ball directly to the face mask that the catcher did not get a glove on. I never moved, tracked it directly from hand to mask. Then I asked the catcher "is that the best you can do?"
Old Fri May 13, 2005, 12:06pm
Official Forum Member

Well,

I have used the stance (or a style of it) since 1999 and have often talked of my feelings.

Since working with the stance I have been hit far less than when I was a heel-to-toe guy.

I have a column coming to the paid side of this website that discusses several issues about the stance and my use of it.
Old Fri May 13, 2005, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

I've used it for three seasons now. It's great. I do feel that I get hit a little more but not appreciably ... and then who really knows?

I track pitches better from release to catch. I see the bottom of the zone better. I look different from the other umpires in my association, but I truly feel it works better. And obviously it is much more comfortable and easier on your body. You can do more games in a day without your legs dying.

Not only do I see the pitches better but I also see the batter better - I know when he swings and when he doesn't, when he is hit by pitch and when he is not, I see the foul ball deflections better. I see the pitches more like a batter sees them. I don't get visually blocked out of the play by a rising catcher.

I haven't been tangled up with a catcher for a long time because I'm 2-3 feet farther away... so the catcher can also do a better job and make more outs.

All in all, this stance allows you to do your job better than scrunched up behind the catcher.

Try it... now before your season is over.
Old Fri May 13, 2005, 12:44pm
Do not give a damn!!

I just started using the full system about 2 weeks ago. I have used some of the other principles, but I did not put my hands on my knees. When I changed to the system I was a complete convert. I was concerned at being hit in the arms by a fouled off pitch. Now I cannot see what took me so long to change my stance. I can see the entire pitch a lot better no matter where it was thrown to. I am much more stable and locked in on a pitch. Even if you want to move out of the way, you do not have the same ability to move.

Peace
Old Fri May 13, 2005, 01:00pm
Official Forum Member

I began using it this season. I agree with all who have posted that it has allowed me to call a better, more consistent strike zone. I believe that I'm getting hit a bit more, and like JRutledge I have the concern that my arms (especially elbows) seem more exposed.

But, overall I believe it has improved my zone and is physically less taxing on the body as a whole.

Doug
Old Fri May 13, 2005, 01:50pm
Official Forum Member

I am trying to perfect the stance and have been using it in JV games and some varsity. The benefits have already been discussed, but my problem is with the up and down part of the zone. In heel/toe, I set up with upper part of zone at my chin, but in GD I am higher and have not perfected a solid delination. Plus, the lower part seems more difficult in GD than heel/toe. I guess I just need to keep working with it till I am confident.
Old Fri May 13, 2005, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

scy - bend the knees a bit more - I had that problem at first too.

I think my view of the zone is MUCH improved in this stance, especially the low outside pitches. And the strain on my back is tremendously less than the old scissors method.
Old Fri May 13, 2005, 02:13pm
Official Forum Member

" . . . bend the knees a bit more '

---------

Or follow the teachings of the stance and widen your stance even more.

---------

My head height, while higher than when working heel-to-toe, is the exact same everytime and the view of the up/down zone is a little different . . . you learn to handle the difference.

[Edited by Tim C on May 13th, 2005 at 03:35 PM]
Old Fri May 13, 2005, 02:33pm
Official Forum Member

approx how wide should I keep my legs? Is there any way I can guage my head height? Reference point? How far should I be from catcher? 18"- 2'?

[Edited by scyguy on May 13th, 2005 at 03:39 PM]
Old Fri May 13, 2005, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

I'm finding that I am getting the bottom of the zone much better with the wider stance I'm taking. I'm not getting the "shoulda sent ya up there with a nine-iron" cracks at all.
Old Fri May 13, 2005, 02:36pm
Official Forum Member

I've been going with the arms length from the catcher and feet spread a little more than shoulders width apart.

Doug
Old Fri May 13, 2005, 02:39pm
Official Forum Member

" . . ."shoulda sent ya up there with a nine-iron" cracks at all."

----

Hahahaha!

----
How wide? Don't know:

The issue falls into how tall you are? is your height in your legs or torso? how wide can you go?

I am really stretched out! To the point that my toes are splayed at 45* -- I don't bend my knees at all, I just bend forward and place my hands on my knees.

From the photo I saw yesterday my chin was about 2" above the catcher's helmet BUT he was kind of a big guy. I am the ame height no matter the size of the catcher.

All I can say . . . I am as wide as I can be for my age (old) and build (fat).

I am 3 FEET back (4 FEET if I am blocked) and as wide as I can . . . much more than you describe for yourself. From your description I doubt if you are working a true Davis Stance.

[Edited by Tim C on May 13th, 2005 at 03:42 PM]
Old Fri May 13, 2005, 02:43pm
Official Forum Member

do you try to protect your hands by placing your thumbs in the top part of your leg guards and wrapping your hands around your knees?
Old Fri May 13, 2005, 02:48pm
Official Forum Member

Try this link for information on the system.
http://childress.officiating.com/

I started using the stance two years ago. I really like it for many of the reasons mentionned previously. Plus by working farther back from the catcher, you just get a different perspective. You don't tire as quickly. Good overall view of the plate. You can really ger locked in and relax as the pitch comes in.

In my association, two guys adopted the stance last year after talking to me about it. Both liked it and I had a couple of others mention at a clinic that they want to give it a try. I think it will really become popular over the next few years as more and more umpires give it a shot.