Thread: Davis Stance
View Single Post
Old Fri May 13, 2005, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

I've used it for three seasons now. It's great. I do feel that I get hit a little more but not appreciably ... and then who really knows?

I track pitches better from release to catch. I see the bottom of the zone better. I look different from the other umpires in my association, but I truly feel it works better. And obviously it is much more comfortable and easier on your body. You can do more games in a day without your legs dying.

Not only do I see the pitches better but I also see the batter better - I know when he swings and when he doesn't, when he is hit by pitch and when he is not, I see the foul ball deflections better. I see the pitches more like a batter sees them. I don't get visually blocked out of the play by a rising catcher.

I haven't been tangled up with a catcher for a long time because I'm 2-3 feet farther away... so the catcher can also do a better job and make more outs.

All in all, this stance allows you to do your job better than scrunched up behind the catcher.

Try it... now before your season is over.