The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun May 08, 2005, 10:27am
Official Forum Member

FED rules, wondering if people would consider the pitcher with a glove that is black with a dark tan web as being a multi-colored glove in violation of 6.2.1h ?

Old Sun May 08, 2005, 10:28am
Official Forum Member

No.

This from the WIAA website:

Baseball Glove Rule Clarified

Both the National Federation and WIAA have received numerous inquiries regarding clarification of Rule 1-1-6 (gloves/mitts). The specific wording at issue is as follows: "The glove/mitt worn by the pitcher shall be uniform in color and neither white nor gray."

During the 2005 WIAA/WOA baseball clinics this issue was addressed as instructed by the National Federation. The information provided at these clinics did not constitute a new rule or ruling, but rather a clarification of the existing rule. In many parts of the country umpires were disallowing the use of gloves by pitchers that were two-toned but did not otherwise constitute a distraction to the batter. As such, the NFHS's intention was to inform umpires that the two-toned gloves are considered, for the purposes of 1-1-6, to be "uniform in color." In other words, the clarification was intended to relax the strict level of enforcement that had been implemented in several instances.

In many circumstances the clarification has had an opposite effect of its intention. The purpose of requiring pitchers' gloves to be uniform in color, as well as neither white nor gray, is to prevent him from gaining an advantage over the batter by means of distraction. As such the glove should be composed of clearly opposing colors, with the opposing color forming a significant portion of the glove before it is disallowed.

Further, at the FED clinic we were told to consider Black and Dark brown or Dark Tan, "shades of the same color".

[Edited by GarthB on May 8th, 2005 at 11:34 AM]
Old Sun May 08, 2005, 11:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GarthB
No.

This from the WIAA website:

Baseball Glove Rule Clarified

Both the National Federation and WIAA have received numerous inquiries regarding clarification of Rule 1-1-6 (gloves/mitts). The specific wording at issue is as follows: "The glove/mitt worn by the pitcher shall be uniform in color and neither white nor gray."

During the 2005 WIAA/WOA baseball clinics this issue was addressed as instructed by the National Federation. The information provided at these clinics did not constitute a new rule or ruling, but rather a clarification of the existing rule. In many parts of the country umpires were disallowing the use of gloves by pitchers that were two-toned but did not otherwise constitute a distraction to the batter. As such, the NFHS's intention was to inform umpires that the two-toned gloves are considered, for the purposes of 1-1-6, to be "uniform in color." In other words, the clarification was intended to relax the strict level of enforcement that had been implemented in several instances.

In many circumstances the clarification has had an opposite effect of its intention. The purpose of requiring pitchers' gloves to be uniform in color, as well as neither white nor gray, is to prevent him from gaining an advantage over the batter by means of distraction. As such the glove should be composed of clearly opposing colors, with the opposing color forming a significant portion of the glove before it is disallowed.

Further, at the FED clinic we were told to consider Black and Dark brown or Dark Tan, "shades of the same color".

[Edited by GarthB on May 8th, 2005 at 11:34 AM]
Aww, gee, Garth. I was just waiting for an opportunity to award three bases when the pitcher fielded a sac bunt. You've spoilt my fun.
Old Sun May 08, 2005, 02:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Thom Coste
Aww, gee, Garth. I was just waiting for an opportunity to award three bases when the pitcher fielded a sac bunt. You've spoilt my fun.
Funny you should bring this up. About 3 weeks ago I was working a highly competitive varsity matchup between 2 teams in the top 10 in the state. It was the bottom of the 8th inning with the visiting (defensive) team ahead by one run. So there is R1 with 2 outs, and an 0-2 count on the batter. F1 pitches, and the batter swings ans misses, and the teams assume the game is over. Wrong. I was fiercly yelling TIME and BALK. F1 had used a slide step, which devieated from his normal pitching motion. I sent R1 to second, and said no pitch. The next pitch hit the batter right in his head. I promptly ejected the pitching coach and the catcher, for they were the ones who most likely gave F1 the "throw at the head sign". I allowed F1 to stay in the game because someone else told him to hit the batter, it wasn't his fault.

So now we have R1 and R2 with 2 out. F1 threw 3 consecutive pickoff throws to first base. After the third one, I had had enough, so I ejected F1 from the game for delaying the game with his repeated throws. I had 3 other games to call that evening, and I didn't have any time that could be wasted by his throws.

The manager came out and asked what F1 did and I told him. Then he motioned for someone in the dugout to come out and pitch. He asked me how many warmup pitches the new guy gets, since he wasn't warming up before he was brought into the game. I informed the manager that he recieved no warmup pitches because the one minute time limit from timed from when I ejected F1 had passed.

First pitch by the new pitcher is a ball, next one strike. Count is 1-1 and B2 hits a schorching line drive right at F1's face. F1 managed to catch the ball in his glove, but he hurt his hand, so he took off his glove. As I was walking to the mound to take my position to observe the post game handshakes, I noticed F1's glove laying on the ground, and I picked it up. It was a brown glove, but inside the pocked the glove had some ware on it, which cause the palm area to become a dark tan color. Right away I announced that F1 was using an illegal multi-colored glove.

So I think to myself, how can I award bases, as the runners have all got in the handshake line? Then it came to me, I made everyone from both teams get back in the spots they were when the last pitch took place. I told F1 to pretend like he just pitched a ball. Then I threw him a ball, and yelled "The batter hit it!" F1 caught the ball, and I yelled "TIME!!!!!!" I awarded 3 bases to all, which put the home team up by 1, and the game was over.
Old Sun May 08, 2005, 03:13pm
Official Forum Member

If this isn't Lance then it is a real good leg pull.

[Edited by DG on May 8th, 2005 at 04:15 PM]
Old Sun May 08, 2005, 04:14pm
Official Forum Member

so Luke, are you on contract to be the new Lance now, or what?
Old Sun May 08, 2005, 04:15pm
Official Forum Member

Good job Luke but, I would of thrown the manager out when he came out to put in a new pitcher. This would have really sent a message. Then you could have thrown out the rest of the team for thinking too loud "this is really a b$%%%%t umpire", and the game would have ended right there.

I just carry the rule book with me and show them the pitcher on the front cover when someone questions a gloves color. I tell him that the player was the poster child this year and if it's good enogh for him, its good enough for everyone. Guess i won't be able to award 3.
Old Mon May 09, 2005, 06:10pm
Official Forum Member

What's the date?

Is it April 1st?
Old Tue May 10, 2005, 12:47am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
Quote:
Originally posted by tskill
FED rules, wondering if people would consider the pitcher with a glove that is black with a dark tan web as being a multi-colored glove in violation of 6.2.1h ?

no, Tho I made a new pitcher replace his very light tan and black glove in my regional final saturday. With it being playoffs I took the proactive approach as opposed to waiting on the opposing coach to say something.

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.
Old Tue May 10, 2005, 09:13am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by LDUB
Quote:
Originally posted by Thom Coste
Funny you should bring this up. About 3 weeks ago I was working a highly competitive varsity matchup between 2 teams in the top 10 in the state. It was the bottom of the 8th inning with the visiting (defensive) team ahead by one run. So there is R1 with 2 outs, and an 0-2 count on the batter. F1 pitches, and the batter swings ans misses, and the teams assume the game is over. Wrong. I was fiercly yelling TIME and BALK. F1 had used a slide step, which devieated from his normal pitching motion. I sent R1 to second, and said no pitch. The next pitch hit the batter right in his head. I promptly ejected the pitching coach and the catcher, for they were the ones who most likely gave F1 the "throw at the head sign". I allowed F1 to stay in the game because someone else told him to hit the batter, it wasn't his fault.

So now we have R1 and R2 with 2 out. F1 threw 3 consecutive pickoff throws to first base. After the third one, I had had enough, so I ejected F1 from the game for delaying the game with his repeated throws. I had 3 other games to call that evening, and I didn't have any time that could be wasted by his throws.

The manager came out and asked what F1 did and I told him. Then he motioned for someone in the dugout to come out and pitch. He asked me how many warmup pitches the new guy gets, since he wasn't warming up before he was brought into the game. I informed the manager that he recieved no warmup pitches because the one minute time limit from timed from when I ejected F1 had passed.

First pitch by the new pitcher is a ball, next one strike. Count is 1-1 and B2 hits a schorching line drive right at F1's face. F1 managed to catch the ball in his glove, but he hurt his hand, so he took off his glove. As I was walking to the mound to take my position to observe the post game handshakes, I noticed F1's glove laying on the ground, and I picked it up. It was a brown glove, but inside the pocked the glove had some ware on it, which cause the palm area to become a dark tan color. Right away I announced that F1 was using an illegal multi-colored glove.

So I think to myself, how can I award bases, as the runners have all got in the handshake line? Then it came to me, I made everyone from both teams get back in the spots they were when the last pitch took place. I told F1 to pretend like he just pitched a ball. Then I threw him a ball, and yelled "The batter hit it!" F1 caught the ball, and I yelled "TIME!!!!!!" I awarded 3 bases to all, which put the home team up by 1, and the game was over.
When are you going to post your 10-man mechanics here?
Old Tue May 10, 2005, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to akalsey Send a message via Yahoo to akalsey
Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
When are you going to post your 10-man mechanics here?
10 men is obviously not enough. You need 13 so you can shadow every player on the field, including the batter and all base runners. In tournament ball, you shold have some extra umpires on hand to monitor the benches, bullpens, and on-deck circles for profanity, arguing judgement calls, and tobacco usage.
Old Tue May 10, 2005, 06:59pm
Official Forum Member

You don't need 10 or 13 umpires, just one umpire and jury of 12, randomly selected from the fans present with a judge presiding. And you need two lawyers to argue, one for each side to argue their case for each call that is in question. The fans (jury) already know more than the umpires anyway so let them decide the tough calls. No more than 6 jurors from each side, and in the event of a hung jury the call on the field stands.
Old Wed May 11, 2005, 11:14pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
Quote:
Originally posted by DG
You don't need 10 or 13 umpires, just one umpire and jury of 12, randomly selected from the fans present with a judge presiding. And you need two lawyers to argue, one for each side to argue their case for each call that is in question. The fans (jury) already know more than the umpires anyway so let them decide the tough calls. No more than 6 jurors from each side, and in the event of a hung jury the call on the field stands.
No doubt. At my regional final, as we were walking off the field a fan of the losing team told us we needed to go back to umpire school so we could learn about the game. Threw me for a loop as other than the plate umps strike zone being a little inconsistant there was nothing unusual on the field that occured other than a ball landing on the field when a pitch was happening.. The 1B ump called time which kiiled an 3-0 pitch that would have been ball 4. Pitcher came back and struck out the batter on the next 3 pitches. That sequence worked to the losing teams advantage. It was also the totally right call. I suppose it was our fault the starting pitcher for the losing team thru the ball away one time that allowed 2 runs to score. Maybe that is what she was talking about.

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.