Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Wed Mar 28, 2001, 05:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Warren Willson

OBR 4.09 Penalty strictly mentions "...with 2 outs..." when talking about requiring the batter-runner to advance or be called out. Problem here is we already have 3 outs, so the passage is not applicable, even if it weren't strictly dealing ONLY with an awarded 1st base......

What the J/R, and now the PBUC, has declared is that there can be 4 outs in any half inning, with the last out being made a "substitute" 3rd out if it is advantageous to the defense. While I can accept that for "apparent" 4th outs on appeal, where the offense has committed a base running infraction that SHOULD taint their run, I find it very hard to swallow on ACTUAL 4th outs without appeal where the offense has done everything required by the rules. There has NEVER been a LEGAL REQUIREMENT for bases to be run AFTER a legitimate 3rd out had been made, EXCEPT as the result of actions that occurred BEFORE the 3rd out such as an awarded base - at least not until now!

[/B]
I think if you look at the interpretations, the fact the the BR or forced runners must advance is, indeed, the result of an act that occurred before 3 outs were made. Either the batter accepted or swung at strike 3 which is then dropped (not yet 3 outs) or he hit a fair ball (not yet 3 outs). The ruling merely allows any advantageous out on the play to be accepted by the defense.

Now that you can see it ONLY comes into consideration when the play is started with less than 3 outs it should be much easier for you to understand and accept. You seemed to indicate that in your last post. The answer is here if you care to accept it.

Just my opinion,

Steve