Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Sat Mar 24, 2001, 04:56pm
Official Forum Member

Cool Oz is the Lucky Country yet again!

Quote:
Originally posted by DDonnelly19
I think most of us feel the same way you do, Warren, but apparently the PBUC has other thoughts about the issue.

Here's the main question that seems to be the dividing line on this forum:

If you were paid to call a game that was played using PBUC interpretations and guidelines, would you call this play to what the PBUC ruling is or to what you feel the ruling should be?

Dennis
Absent a direction from my Assignor or my league to the contrary, I would feel obliged to call the play the way the PBUC ruling demands and so allow the 4th out. My job as an official doesn't require me to "like" the rules I'm expected to enforce. PBUC Official Interpretations ARE the rules, at least in my league.

Fortunately for me, I have had a specific direction to the contrary from my UDP. The word Down Under is that we will only enforce this interpretation when it finds its way into the printed PBUC Umpire Manual. We're all betting that it won't, and that calmer heads will quietly prevail in the interim.

Even the professional leagues are currently split on this issue, with the ruling not being applicable to the Majors. Imagine the furore during the next World Series decider at Safeco Field, if this ruling was used to give the visitors a chance to wipe out a series-winning run! (HUGE grin)

Cheers,