View Single Post
Old Fri Mar 23, 2001, 11:19pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Carl Childress
Quote:
Originally posted by JJ
Can you see why I'm confused? Or is it just that stubborn streak in me that won't listen to reason?
JJ:

I'm afraid it's the latter.

Contrary to what you think, the number of outs is not the main point. That matters only because we need the fourth out at first else there's no issue in dispute.

My central point is that a runner cannot be indicted for missing a base until he rounds it without touching it.

Or, to put it another way, a runner who is not forced to advance cannot be indicted for missing a base until he reaches it.

Those principles are fundamental to the Theory of Appealed, Sequential Runners, one of the most awesome creations in all of sports.

Consider: A sequential, offensive player may have undisputed, legal title to any base (except home!); but if the batter becomes a viable batter-runner, the sequential player must give up his haven, regardless of the jeopardy that may attach to him because of it. One moment, he is secure, as in his mother's womb; the next, through no fault of his own, he may find himself in a fourth-class berth on the Titantic an hour after it struck the berg.

First question: What is the compeling FORCE that requires the batter-runner to advance ANYWHERE?

To put it a final way: Find any statement by a recognized authority or rules committee that says: "The batter-runner must advance to first."

What the rules say are:
  1. every runner must touch the bases in the correct order, first to home
  2. a sequential runner is out if he doesn't reach his base before a fielder in possession of a live, fair batted ball tags it or him
  3. the batter-runner is out if he doesn't reach first before a fielder in possession of a live, fair batted ball tags it or him
At issue, then, is only one point: "After three are out, can the batter-runner make a fourth out simply because he never reached first?"

The PBUC, speaking for the professional minor league staff umpires (OBR), says yes.

Carl Childress, speaking for himself (FED), says no.

Is there anyone reading this post who has ever:
  1. Question two: Called out such a batter-runner? OR
  2. Question three: Seen another umpire call out such a batter-runner?
Play:The year: 1938. The teams: AL Chicago and New York. On base are the two Lukes: R3 (Appling), R2 (Sewell). At bat: Greenville, Texas', own Monty Stratton. Two are out. Stratton singles to right. Luke A. scores. Luke S. tries to score, but is tagged out. Bill Dickey sees Stratton still hobbling toward first. His bullet peg to Lou Gehrig is in plenty of time to nip Stratton for the fourth out (?).

JJ: Are you really going to call out Monty and cancel Appling's run? If you are, brace yourself because Jimmy Dykes will have his face glued to yours.

BTW: I was one year old when they (could have) played that game. Yet, I remember it as if it were this very afternoon.