The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 02, 2005, 09:08am
Official Forum Member

Does anyone have a good 1-Man Mechanic for seeing pickoffs at 1B ?

Either RH or LH batter, this is so hard to get a good angle quick enough to make a good call.
Old Mon May 02, 2005, 09:23am
Official Forum Member

You'll only get a couple of steps -- jist like when you're in B. Call what you see. Benefit of the doubt goes to the runner.
Old Mon May 02, 2005, 09:23pm
Official Forum Member

I have by necessity done some games by myself (not many), but the more I think about it the more I think that the only good spot for an umpire in 1 man mechanics is near the pitcher. And from there the pickoff play at 1B is no big deal.

I will admit that I have only done 1 varsity game by myself and I did it from behind the plate. And I remember calling an out on a pickoff to 1B, because it looked like an out from where I stood. But it really was not close. It would have to be obvious to call from behind the plate.

[Edited by DG on May 2nd, 2005 at 10:27 PM]
Old Mon May 02, 2005, 10:27pm
Official Forum Member

I usually try taking a couple of steps to the right to try to get some type of angle. I warn the coaches in the pre-game that pickoffs will be very difficulty to see in a one man game and I will do the best I can.

Ed H
Old Tue May 03, 2005, 01:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by edhern
I usually try taking a couple of steps to the right to try to get some type of angle. I warn the coaches in the pre-game that pickoffs will be very difficulty to see in a one man game and I will do the best I can.

Ed H
I've had to work a couple of one man games this year. My plate conference is the same as it is when I have partners: "Players legally equipped? Take us around, coach. Any questions? Let's play."

Years ago, I found that warnings of any kind during the plate conference served to put negative expectations in the coaches heads. I'd rather deal with issues if they arise than plant the seeds of potential discontent.
Old Tue May 03, 2005, 06:30am
Official Forum Member

I got some bad advice when I started umpiring 6 years ago. I was young and didn't know any better. I had asked a "vet" how he sees tags and such at 1B during a pick off or 2B during a steal while working the plate by myself. He told me he tells the coaches at the conference that if the ball gets there first, and the tag is down, your runner is out, and he doesn't want any arguements.

I thought, BRILLIANT! Yea thats what I'll do. Boy did I screw up.

A runner slid into 2nd, ball got there, tag was down, and I was looking through a cloud of dust. I made sure that F4 had control, had the out and made the call" Grumbling about getting around the tag. I told the coach "ball got there first, I'm by myself doing the best job I can".

Next inning, runner cruises into 3rd, ball beats him there, F1 covering 3rd does not apply the tag. I signal safe no tag. D coach (same coach that had his runner called out) tells me the ball beat him, he should be out. I told him the tag was never made. Needless to say, 5 minutes and 2 EJ's later, we resumed play.

I've never used that philosophy since. I call what I can and if a coach doesn't like the call, I tell him I'm covering 360 feet of basepaths myself and doing the best I can.
Old Tue May 03, 2005, 08:13am
Official Forum Member

I have to agree with DG that I really believe the only good place for an official in 1-man mechanics is in the B or C position near the pitcher, but having said that, I've done a ton of games this year by myself and have always taken the position behind the plate.

As a player, I've been in lots of games with one official and he's always taken the position behind the plate, and I've never ever seen anyone take any position other than behind the plate.

I know is the FED rules 10.1.3 states you can take whatever position you like, preferably behind the plate I have just never heard of anyone actually doing it. I think calls would be much easier with the exception of ball/strike, and interference/obstruction with batter/catcher.

Personally, I will continue to work games by myself behind the plate as usual. I was just looking for any advice on pickoffs , and steals at 2nd.
Old Tue May 03, 2005, 09:12am
Official Forum Member

If you are behind the mound, who makes fair/foul calls?

Calling fair/foul from the middle of the infield is a lot harder than making a call on a pick attempt at first base from behind the plate.
Old Tue May 03, 2005, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

Originally posted by tskill

Does anyone have a good 1-Man Mechanic for seeing pickoffs at 1B ?

Either RH or LH batter, this is so hard to get a good angle quick enough to make a good call.

In a nutshell when working SOLO there isn't any real good 1 person mechanic for the pickoff at first especially if F1 has a good quick move. As others mentioned you get basically one or 2 steps (if you have time) and that's it.

I echo Garth in that I do not do anything special during the Plate Conference when working solo. As Garth said it's Both teams properly equipped, skip takes us around.

To keep the game consistent for both teams when working SOLO I have what I call GIVENS meaning.

Good Throw, Ball beats runner, Tag where it should be = OUT - PERIOD.

Bad play by defense = Safe

As others mentioned the runner when working SOLO gets the benefit of doubt but remember it's the same for both teams.

If you notice the runner taking a BIG lead at first and gets caught "leaning" a bit and F1 makes a good throw to F3 (right on the BAG) reward the good play and call the runner out.

If the ball is hit, get as close as you can to what is known as the "working area" somehere around the pitcher's mound where you can see most of the "action".

From my experience, simply show both teams you are hustling and not just standing back behind the plate all day calling everything. For the mots part if the coaches see you are hustling you will not get any flak. If you simply stay staionary gives the appearance you simply want your paycheck and will do the least possible to get it.

Pete Booth
Old Tue May 03, 2005, 07:18pm
Official Forum Member

Excellent!

That's terrific advice, Pete. Thanks.