The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Apr 21, 2005, 09:54pm
Official Forum Member

R1, zero outs. 1-1 count on the batter. Batter swings and misses, and his momentum moves him a little bit across the plate. He does not make contact with the catcher, but the catcher double clutches because if it, but gets the throw down to second. R1 is on the base before the tag, and it is a toss up if he would have been out without the double clutch.

a) Call nothing. 1-2 count, R2 now.

b) Send runner back to 1st. 1-2 count, R1 still.

c) Call runner out on interference. 1-2 count, 1 out.
Old Thu Apr 21, 2005, 10:35pm
Official Forum Member

Well, it's not (b) or (c).

Doesn't matter whether R1 would have been out. It DOES matter if R1 is actually put out on the play: if R1 is put out, then disregard interference.

Since R1 was not out on the play in your case, the call would depend on whether you judge that the batter hindered the catcher's attempt to play on the runner. J/R has a list of criteria here, but I don't have them with me. Maybe someone else could post them.

If you judge that it's interference by the batter, then the answer is:

(d) batter is out, runner returns to 1B.

If not interference, then (a). Given your description of the case, I'd call interference: answer (d).

The relevant rule is 6.06(c):
Quote:
A batter is out for illegal action when ... (c) He interferes with the catcher's fielding or throwing by stepping out of the batter's box or making any other movement that hinders the catcher's play at home base.
[Edited by mbyron on Apr 21st, 2005 at 11:37 PM]
Old Thu Apr 21, 2005, 10:43pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Batter's action --> by stumbling causes interference when the catcher is hindered.--> batter out and runner back to base at TOP.
Old Thu Apr 21, 2005, 11:04pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the responses.

I was thinking for some reason that if the batter interferes, then the runner is called out instead of the batter for some reason.

Thanks for clearing that up for me.
Old Thu Apr 21, 2005, 11:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Baseball_North
Thanks for the responses.

I was thinking for some reason that if the batter interferes, then the runner is called out instead of the batter for some reason.

Thanks for clearing that up for me.
That's only at home plate with less than 2 outs.
Old Thu Apr 21, 2005, 11:27pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks a lot.
Old Thu Apr 21, 2005, 11:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Baseball_North
R1, zero outs. 1-1 count on the batter. Batter swings and misses, and his momentum moves him a little bit across the plate. He does not make contact with the catcher, but the catcher double clutches because if it, but gets the throw down to second. R1 is on the base before the tag, and it is a toss up if he would have been out without the double clutch.

a) Call nothing. 1-2 count, R2 now.

b) Send runner back to 1st. 1-2 count, R1 still.

c) Call runner out on interference. 1-2 count, 1 out.
I agree with the other posters, it's your judgement,if interference batter is out and runner returns. If his momementum carries him a litte bit across the plate, and the pitch was away it may not be interference, but again, it's your judgement. Whether the catcher double clutched would have nothing to do with my decision.
Old Fri Apr 22, 2005, 10:44am
Official Forum Member

baseball-north

This happened in last nights jays game it was strike three, so, the batter was out, and the runner returned.

My question is if it strike three, and intentional interference, is the runner done as well??
Old Fri Apr 22, 2005, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

how about a batter attempting to bunt and bat is over plate area. This can get tricky.

As a coach I used to teach my kids to leave the bat over the plate, not giving catcher a good look. Even though we would take a strike for the actions, (attempting to bunt ball)we often made it more difficult for catcher. Batters were taught not to actually try to bunt ball, but make an attempt. I was willing to trade a strike for 90 feet.
Old Fri Apr 22, 2005, 11:00am
Veteran College Umpire

If it's strike three and the batter interferes, the batter is out because it's strike three, and the runner is also out on the interference (otherwise there would be no penalty other than sending him back to first, and teams would try this all the time). NCAA & PRO
Old Fri Apr 22, 2005, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to akalsey Send a message via Yahoo to akalsey
Quote:
As a coach I used to teach my kids to leave the bat over the plate, not giving catcher a good look. Even though we would take a strike for the actions, (attempting to bunt ball)we often made it more difficult for catcher. Batters were taught not to actually try to bunt ball, but make an attempt. I was willing to trade a strike for 90 feet.
And how often did your batter get called for interference?
Old Fri Apr 22, 2005, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

For some reason, I thought that F2 had to throw the ball to be interferred with on this type of play. I've never run into the situation where a catcher double pumped like this. I'll have to do some digging.
Old Fri Apr 22, 2005, 01:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by akalsey
Quote:
And how often did your batter get called for interference?
This is no different than the batter swing "protecting the runner" provided no interference.
Old Fri Apr 22, 2005, 02:25pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to akalsey Send a message via Yahoo to akalsey
Hanging a bunt out and holding it there to make life difficult while your runner steals? Perhaps I'm envisioning this wrong, but in my mind it sounds like the batter's trying to screen the catcher from making a play.
Old Fri Apr 22, 2005, 03:20pm
Official Forum Member

all i can say is this

in the jays game, reed johnson struck out on an inside curve which chewed him up, he stumpled 1 step onto the plate, Prosada double pumped then threw the ball, Orlando Hudson was safe by a week, and was sent back to 1st base.

So the runner was not called out, i believe it is an intentional/unintentional choice by the ump regarding the guy at the plate, and the penalty for the guy stealing, can someone please clarify. Maybe quote the rule OBR only please the FED SH!+ blows my poor canadian mind.