View Single Post
Old Wed Apr 20, 2005, 04:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by carldog
"If the ball was not fielded cleanly and the ball bounced off of the fielder or was bobbled and the fielder entered the runners base path before gaining possession, there may be grounds for obstruction."

Can I ask a question about this whole idea of Obstruction on a fielder who is trying to gather a batted ball he has just booted ?

Couldn't this just be a trainwreck ? Fielder has a right to chase down his booted grounder...and runner has a right to run to the base...So unless the action is intentional, isn't this a no call?

Thanks!

You said it, "a fielder who is trying to gather a batted ball he has just booted" and "runner has a right to run to the base". He had his chance to field the ball and didn't, causing the ball to go where the runner is supposed to be. The runner didn't cause the contact, the fielder did by "booting" the ball.

This was the interp a couple years ago which I understood it. If I am wrong, I'm sure others will let us know.

Here is something to ponder:

28. Obstruction is not called if a fielder in the base path is making a play. "Making a play" is defined as catching or about to catch a throw. If the ball is in flight from an infielder, or if a throw from the outfield has reached the infield, the fielder is making a play.