The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 18, 2005, 08:16pm
I hate Illinois Nazis

I am pretty well versed in OBR and just OK in FED. The game I was doing tonight was considered PONY and I don't even know if they have their own rules but when in doubt I usually quote OBR and I am usually able to sell it, as I did tonight, to the usually ignorant coaches. There was a pop foul that was caught by F3 clearly in the dugout area, as was defined before the game. I called the batter out. I got some argument but I sold it. I'm pretty sure this is a legal out in OBR but is it in FED? Can someone give me the appropriate citation as well? Thanks.
Old Mon Apr 18, 2005, 10:27pm
Official Forum Member

This is "no catch" in FED. A player must have one foot in live ball territory while making a catch. (2-9-1 CATCH)
Old Mon Apr 18, 2005, 10:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Lapopez
I am pretty well versed in OBR and just OK in FED. The game I was doing tonight was considered PONY and I don't even know if they have their own rules but when in doubt I usually quote OBR and I am usually able to sell it, as I did tonight, to the usually ignorant coaches. There was a pop foul that was caught by F3 clearly in the dugout area, as was defined before the game. I called the batter out. I got some argument but I sold it. I'm pretty sure this is a legal out in OBR but is it in FED? Can someone give me the appropriate citation as well? Thanks.
In FED, one foot in and one foot out when catch is made is a catch. Citation: 2005 BRD.
Old Wed Apr 20, 2005, 02:27pm
I hate Illinois Nazis

Quote:
Originally posted by DG
Quote:
In FED, one foot in and one foot out when catch is made is a catch. Citation: 2005 BRD.
Is this just a BRD interpretation? I don't read that into the FED definition of "Catch."
Old Wed Apr 20, 2005, 02:37pm
Do not give a damn!!

All that is required is to have one foot touching the playing area. Or to have your feet last established in the playing area if you are in flight when making a catch. If one foot was touching live ball territory, then this is a catch. If both feet were touching dead ball area, then it was not a catch. It is hard to tell that by your example.

2.9.1 Comment

Peace
Old Wed Apr 20, 2005, 03:07pm
Official Forum Member

Isn't Pony OBR anyway? Not sure - since I don't do Pony.
Old Thu Apr 21, 2005, 01:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Why do you umpire in a league where you don't know the rules?

Bob
Old Thu Apr 21, 2005, 03:45pm
I hate Illinois Nazis

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
All that is required is to have one foot touching the playing area. Or to have your feet last established in the playing area if you are in flight when making a catch. If one foot was touching live ball territory, then this is a catch. If both feet were touching dead ball area, then it was not a catch. It is hard to tell that by your example.

2.9.1 Comment

Peace
Sorry to keep beating it but...I did not see that comment at 2.9.1. Is that "one foot" verbage just accepted practice?
Old Thu Apr 21, 2005, 08:03pm
Official Forum Member

Were you looking at the case book or rule book? Case book plays are marked with dots (2.9.1) and rule references are marked with dashes (2-9-1). J is referring to the case book.

What J stated is in the casebook comment is correct.
Old Fri Apr 22, 2005, 11:28am
I hate Illinois Nazis

Quote:
Originally posted by largeone59
Were you looking at the case book or rule book? Case book plays are marked with dots (2.9.1) and rule references are marked with dashes (2-9-1). J is referring to the case book.

What J stated is in the casebook comment is correct.
That was much appreciated. Thanks to you both.