The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Apr 17, 2005, 08:03am
Official Forum Member

Does the mere fact that a player is standing on a base cause obstruction. Ball hit to the outfield, third baseman stands on outside corner of base while runner rounds third.

Should it be automatic obstruction because the fielder was "in the base path" without the ball be thrown to him?

It did not seem like the runner had to slow down because the runner would have been able to touch the inside corner without a problem.
Old Sun Apr 17, 2005, 08:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jesmael
Does the mere fact that a player is standing on a base cause obstruction. Ball hit to the outfield, third baseman stands on outside corner of base while runner rounds third.

Should it be automatic obstruction because the fielder was "in the base path" without the ball be thrown to him?

It did not seem like the runner had to slow down because the runner would have been able to touch the inside corner without a problem.

It doesn't sound like f5 was in the base path if he/she was standing on the outside corner of 3rd.

I don't have my rule book on me so I can't quote the rule, but as long as the fielder did not impede the runner in any way, there was no obstruction.
Old Sun Apr 17, 2005, 09:21am
Official Forum Member

Judgment

Obstruction is a judgment call:

Quote:
OBSTRUCTION is the act of a fielder who, while not in possession of the ball and not in the act of fielding the ball, impedes the progress of any runner.
If you judge that the fielder impeded the runner in this play, then you'd have (in OBR, Type B) obstruction. There's nothing in the rule about the fielder being in the base path: if the fielder impeded the runner, then you've got obstruction. Use your judgment about whether the runner went looking to be impeded, but I'd say that if he had to slow down to get around a fielder standing near the base or on, then I'd have obstruction.

If you don't think the runner had to slow down, then no obstruction. It's not a question of whether he should have to slow down, but rather whether he was impeded. There is no "automatic" obstruction: it's a judgment call every time.

I don't like little games that fielders play to try to slow up runners. Get the heck out of the way.

[Edited by mbyron on Apr 17th, 2005 at 10:24 AM]