View Single Post
Old Fri Apr 15, 2005, 03:39pm
Official Forum Member

That was certainly an amusing article. I feel so honored and unworthy of being mentioned in the same breath as Tee.

I see Peter has not lost his touch. I know of no one else who can take something he personally believes in and ridicule it to the rest of the world. That's talent.

I know Peter's writing is entertaining to his fans (I'm one) and internet newbies; but at times, and for one primary reason, it can beome tiresome. And that reason is this: Peter accepts the reality that immediately surrounds him as the reality for everyone else. Consequently he uses a brush so broad it requires at least two hands. This has been the only real source of our disagreements.

I have umpired in three states. In my reality, no one has been more eager to help new umpires than the D-1 "big dogs". They ran clinics, mentored and volunteered to watch umpires work games and provide them with evaluations. I have not had the priviledge of working with the selfish, self-important arrogant umpires that seem to populate Peter's area. I have not seen the big dogs holding the little dogs down by the throat.

I have never referred to myself as a "big dog". I have seen others do that and I have written to them suggesting otherwise. I am in the upper level of my association. I worked NCAA YEARS ago and now only on rare occasion act as an emergency fill in at that level. I am happy to be working varsity games, Legion and Adult Leagues at this point of my career.

For the past four year I have been a trainer, and evaluator in one association and a trainer and assignor in another. I work to help junior umpires move up. It's my job. My biggest sense of accomplishment these days is watching an umpire perform well at a varsity game who could barely stand behind the plate three years ago.

I have attended a number of clinics including those by Gerry Davis, Jim Evans, Dave Yeast and others. As are we all, I am a product of my experiences.

I do not brush off the pitcher's plate and I teach other umpires to act likewise. Does this make me a wannabe as Carl alleges?

Let's see: Carl ran a multi part interview with Jim Evans. Carl endorsed Jim, his various clinics and his teachings. I attended the Desert Classic, during which, on more than one occasion I heard instructors yell: "I don't care if you work Little League, High School, College or Pro, don't EVER clean off the rubber!"

But Carl now refers to those of us who practice what is taught at the camps he encouraged people to attend as "wannabes". Okay. As my grandpa used to say, "if that's the worse someone says about you, what a wonderful life you must have."

But overall, I did find the article entertaining, and, after all, that's Peter's job. However, it does give new meaning to his signature: HHH

Humorous, Hyberbolic and Hypocritcal.