The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 13, 2005, 03:58pm
Official Forum Member

New to Baseball umpiring and a new situation came up yesterday and looking for some words of wisdom (have a feeling I'll be checking this forum out alot..some great stuff I've read in my first perusal).

Anyhow: 2 man crew, I am doing the bases... bases loaded situation, no outs, grounder to 3rd baseman, who throws to get force at 2B, I call the runner out who was sliding in to 2b, as the 2nd baseman starts to throw to 1b to attempt a doubleplay, the sliding runner does a pop-up slide and while staying on the base collides with the 2nd baseman who is hit hard enough that he drops the ball. No question on the force out, but as the play ends I call time out. My PU comes out and immediately calls "Obstruction" saying the runner came up with his arm into the 2nd baseman attempting to make the throw. We discuss,and he allows the runner (R3) who was on 3b and coming home on the play to score. After discussing, the force out stands as out # 1, we call the batter out due to the Obstruction for out # 2. R2 who was moving to 3b on the grounder, we have him stay at 3b.

Questions: Should obstruction have been called? How can it be obstruction if a runner thinks it is going to be a close play and slides into second...doesn't he have a right to stand up on the base? I didn't read it as the runner trying to obstruct...just that he popped up after sliding. What is the right of the runner to occupy the base vs. the fielder making a throw?
Also...should R3 have been allowed to score? Even if he hadn't crossed home plate before the obstruction occured? If not, and he has to go back to 3b, what do we do with R2 who was on 2b at time of the grounder and on his way to 3b?

Being a rookie of only 5 games, my post game analysis would be that the PU should have not ruled obstruction as the runner appeared to just be completing the end of his slide to pop up and stand on the base. But I am just a rookie...the PU was very helpful before,throughout, and after the game with information, so I appreciated that. Just a strange situation for me that I'd love to hear some veteran's thoughts on.

Thanks ahead of time.
Old Wed Apr 13, 2005, 04:08pm
Official Forum Member

First, if your PU called obstruction on a runner, please send him back to umpiring school.

Now, assuming he meant INTERFERENCE, you have 2 outs, out at 2nd, out at HOME, R2 back to second, BR to first.

Now, your other question is, SHOULD this be interference. This is a judgement call, and definitely HTBT. But I would point out that this is YOUR call, not his. I would also point out to you that the runner cannot stand up into a throw. The runner has no rights at all except the right to not dematerialize. This SOUNDS like interference to me, but again, it's HTBT, and it's your call.
Old Wed Apr 13, 2005, 04:10pm
Official Forum Member

Well SFN, i'll take a stab at this:

Sounds like R1 violated the Force Play Slide Rule by illegally sliding into second (NFHS reference 2-32-2a). The correct call here would have been INTERFERENCE, not obstruction. R1 is out, BR is out since it prevented the double play. Two outs

As for R2 and R3, they go back to the bases that were last touched at the time of the interference, so R2 would go back to second, and R3 would go back to third.
Old Wed Apr 13, 2005, 04:18pm
Official Forum Member

You said Babe Ruth so OBR rules apply.

It wasn't obstruction, it might be interference. Defense obstructs, offense intereres.

However, if the runner went straight to the bag, it's probably a nothing. Your local league may have something additional - check with them.

The FED guys can discuss the FED Force Play Slide Rule.

You could eject R1 if you think the contact was malicious.

The OBR interference rules are:

2.00 INTERFEFENCE

a) Offensive interference is an act by the team at bat which interferes with, obstructs, impedes, hinders or confuses any fielder attempting to make a play. If the umpire declares the batter, batter runner, or a runner out for interference, all other runners shall return to the last base that was in the judgment of the umpire, legally touched at the time of the interference, unless otherwise provided by these rules.

7.09 It is interference by a batter or a runner when:

f) Any batter or runner who has just been put out hinders or impedes any following play being made on a runner. Such runner shall be declared out for the interference of his teammate;

HOWEVER, in pro ball at least, interference will not be called if the runner is within reach of the base.
Old Wed Apr 13, 2005, 06:19pm
Official Forum Member

Rich, He may like Babe Ruth, and he may be hungry for a Babe Ruth but, where did he say he was umping Babe Ruth?

Also I find it hard to believe that Babe Ruth, (the league) does NOT play with some sort of FPSR. Even American Legion plays with that.
Old Wed Apr 13, 2005, 07:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jicecone
Rich, He may like Babe Ruth, and he may be hungry for a Babe Ruth but, where did he say he was umping Babe Ruth?

Also I find it hard to believe that Babe Ruth, (the league) does NOT play with some sort of FPSR. Even American Legion plays with that.
Believe it. I remember a time not too long ago when Babe Ruth did not have a malicious contact rule but they do now. It applies at the plate only.
Old Wed Apr 13, 2005, 07:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by largeone59

Sounds like R1 violated the Force Play Slide Rule by illegally sliding into second (NFHS reference 2-32-2a). The correct call here would have been INTERFERENCE, not obstruction. R1 is out, BR is out since it prevented the double play. Two outs

As for R2 and R3, they go back to the bases that were last touched at the time of the interference, so R2 would go back to second, and R3 would go back to third.
Good call, if played under a set of rules with FPSR.
Old Wed Apr 13, 2005, 10:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Ives
You said Babe Ruth so OBR rules apply.

Who? Where?
Old Wed Apr 13, 2005, 10:06pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by DG
Quote:
Originally posted by largeone59

Good call, if played under a set of rules with FPSR.
Except that the penalty of the second out under the FPSR has NOTHING to do with whether the BR could've been retired. It's a safety rule as well as an interference rule.

If the ball didn't leave the vicinity of second base, the PU has no business stepping in there. His job is to clean up after the pivot -- once the BU turns to first base. If there's no pivot, the BU should stay with the play and get that call, if necessary.
Old Thu Apr 14, 2005, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Coulda sworn I saw it.

And Babe Ruth doe NOT have a slide rule. The do have a contact rule AT THE PLATE.

Last time I made the rounds, only HS and AAU use FED.
Old Thu Apr 14, 2005, 11:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Ives
Quote:

Coulda sworn I saw it.

And Babe Ruth doe NOT have a slide rule. The do have a contact rule AT THE PLATE.

Last time I made the rounds, only HS and AAU use FED.
The first thing to go is the mind and then the eyes.

I THINK.