View Single Post
Old Wed Apr 13, 2005, 03:58pm
Official Forum Member

New to Baseball umpiring and a new situation came up yesterday and looking for some words of wisdom (have a feeling I'll be checking this forum out alot..some great stuff I've read in my first perusal).

Anyhow: 2 man crew, I am doing the bases... bases loaded situation, no outs, grounder to 3rd baseman, who throws to get force at 2B, I call the runner out who was sliding in to 2b, as the 2nd baseman starts to throw to 1b to attempt a doubleplay, the sliding runner does a pop-up slide and while staying on the base collides with the 2nd baseman who is hit hard enough that he drops the ball. No question on the force out, but as the play ends I call time out. My PU comes out and immediately calls "Obstruction" saying the runner came up with his arm into the 2nd baseman attempting to make the throw. We discuss,and he allows the runner (R3) who was on 3b and coming home on the play to score. After discussing, the force out stands as out # 1, we call the batter out due to the Obstruction for out # 2. R2 who was moving to 3b on the grounder, we have him stay at 3b.

Questions: Should obstruction have been called? How can it be obstruction if a runner thinks it is going to be a close play and slides into second...doesn't he have a right to stand up on the base? I didn't read it as the runner trying to obstruct...just that he popped up after sliding. What is the right of the runner to occupy the base vs. the fielder making a throw?
Also...should R3 have been allowed to score? Even if he hadn't crossed home plate before the obstruction occured? If not, and he has to go back to 3b, what do we do with R2 who was on 2b at time of the grounder and on his way to 3b?

Being a rookie of only 5 games, my post game analysis would be that the PU should have not ruled obstruction as the runner appeared to just be completing the end of his slide to pop up and stand on the base. But I am just a rookie...the PU was very helpful before,throughout, and after the game with information, so I appreciated that. Just a strange situation for me that I'd love to hear some veteran's thoughts on.

Thanks ahead of time.