The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 14, 2001, 01:42pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

On another discussion board this play appeared. I found it interesting and thought I would place it here.

With runners on third and first and no outs and no count on B1, R1 attempts to steal second. F2 is interfered with by B1. Ball rolls away from second base after R1 slides in safely. R3 attempts to go home on the play. R3 is thrown out by F6.

What is the call? Give me OBR, NCAA and Fed. if possible. This play not only highlights rules knowledge but also mechanics knowledge as well. Speak to both if possible.
Old Wed Mar 14, 2001, 02:28pm
Veteran College Umpire

When the batter interferes with the catcher's atempt to retire a runner, it's a delayed dead ball - we all know that. As soon as it's evident that the catcher's throw will not retire the runner he was attempting to throw out, I have a dead ball. Batter's out, everyone else returns unless it's strike three - then the batter's out and so is the guy the catcher was trying to retire. Everyone else (in this case, the runner from third) goes back. NCAA 6-3-b
FED 5-1-2a PRO 6.06 c
Old Wed Mar 14, 2001, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

JJ

Wrong on the NCAA interp. Right on the FED and OBR. Go through the mechanics of the situation.
Old Wed Mar 14, 2001, 03:10pm
Official Forum Member

Don't you need 7.09(f) added to the OBR list to get R1 in the strike-out scenario?
Old Wed Mar 14, 2001, 05:35pm
Veteran College Umpire

What's wrong with the NCAA interp??
Old Wed Mar 14, 2001, 11:35pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Carl Childress
Quote:
Originally posted by JJ
What's wrong with the NCAA interp??
JJ:

Currently, that rule is under review. Briefly: In 1988 the NCAA rule said: "If the catcher's throw does not retire a runner...." For 1989 (it's a long story not relevant here) the language was changed to read: "If any runner is put out on the play...."

That meant that the OBR and NCAA language was the same: "any runner" means ANY runner.

Play: R1, R3, double steal, batter's interference. Throw is cut off and R3 is out at the plate. Since a runner was retired, the umpire disregards the interference.

That is no longer the OBR interpretation.

The actual NCAA rule still reads that following batter inteference, if any runner anywhere is retired during the continuing action, the interference will be disregarded.

Unfortunately, several very powerful NCAA umpires ignore the language of the rule and prefer to call according to the language of the OBR "interpretation."

I will be getting an official interpretation shortly, and I suspect the NCAA 2002 book might return to the language of its 1988 statute.
Old Wed Mar 14, 2001, 11:46pm
Veteran College Umpire

Carl, thanks for the NCAA "difference". For everyone else who's curious, I cited NCAA rule 6-3-b. Carl's difference is NCAA rule 7-11-f exception 2. Those particulars were left out of his post.